Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Moving to Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 02:49 AM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally posted by Hacker-Pschorr

Brendan - you know I'm 100% jealous you live out there, don't yea? But I could probably not handle the rat race of the larger cities.
...I could let you believe that San Diego and the surrounding area is a "large city", but because you know that on Thursdays, Kakauna smells like $hit, and WHY, I will tell you:

Southern CA, excluding the 60 square miles surrounding Hollywood is perfect in every way, and the people that say otherwise wouldn't be happy anywhere they lived anyway.

Hey, My freind (that lived in LA for a time) says that there is now some ACTUAL traffic in Green Bay other then on a Packer day? Is this true?
Old 02-22-2004, 03:56 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by iloveporsches
I'm pretty sure it was negative a few times this year. Record lows are somewhere around -50. Really, it isn't that bad. You get over it, and then weather that you sissies down south would consider freezing and put coats on for, we think is absolutely beautiful!
I grew up in the midwest. The day I graduated college it was -10 degrees, and that's not talking wind-chill number. I know cold weather, and I hate it.

I don't even own a coat anymore. Today was a shorts and t-shirt day.

Regardless, I think Matt will be fine. He's lived in such diverse locations already, he'll handle the midwest.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:40 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will miss shorts in December!

I am having a friend of mine go look at the house today as he lived 8 miles from it.

I will know for sure by mid week but I think it is a done deal providing they come with enough money.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:57 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Matt H
I hope it works out as much as I would hate to leave my greaseslinger buddies behind!
Hehe.

We'll be staying with you when we come to Road America.

Good luck Matt.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:23 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Originally posted by BrendanCampion
Hey, My freind (that lived in LA for a time) says that there is now some ACTUAL traffic in Green Bay other then on a Packer day? Is this true?

I would hesitate to call it traffic. I think the drivers have gotten worse. I prefer to drive through Chicago than Green Bay. Why? In Chicago if someone cuts you off, they meant to do so. In Green Bay, it's because they were not paying attention and didn't see you.

The newest trend? Don't move over for people entering the highway, slam on the brakes to make room!
Old 02-23-2004, 03:18 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Kevin Baker
Yeah, Tom housing is really pretty cheap here. Bought 1350sq in November for 74K
Um...I think you must have left out a digit...

My house was within a couple square feet of that when we bought it, ~1370. It was built in 1941 and almost nothing had been touched since then, a total "fixer-upper" with 3 bed/1 bath and a 1 car garage on a 55'x110' lot, the plumbing and gas didn't work and the electrical was minimal. There were several dozen squirrels living in the attic. We paid $212K 4 1/2 years ago, after a TON of cash and a LOT of weekends of labor it is probably about average for the neighborhood now, $400-450K.

Tom R isn't kidding about the home equity loan, when my wife and I wanted an equity line of credit for some of the renovations we found out that our bank doesn't even bother doing an appraisal for anything under $100K!
Old 02-23-2004, 03:43 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Dave
Um...I think you must have left out a digit...

My house was within a couple square feet of that when we bought it, ~1370. It was built in 1941 and almost nothing had been touched since then, a total "fixer-upper" with 3 bed/1 bath and a 1 car garage on a 55'x110' lot, the plumbing and gas didn't work and the electrical was minimal. There were several dozen squirrels living in the attic. We paid $212K 4 1/2 years ago, after a TON of cash and a LOT of weekends of labor it is probably about average for the neighborhood now, $400-450K.
Holy cats!!

That's why I plan on never moving out of Texas. I had a house in a nice suburb of Rochester, NY - about 1500 sq ft on a lot and a half. When I moved to Kingwood, TX, a nice suburb of Houston (well, technically part of Houston because the bastards annexed us) 8 years ago I bought a 2400 sq ft home on a lot about half that size for the same price. I love the real estate prices here. And the people are the friendliest I've ever met.

Now, my next house will probably be about 1500 sq ft again. But the garage will probably be as big as the house (or bigger).
Old 02-23-2004, 04:50 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Geo
I love the real estate prices here. And the people are the friendliest I've ever met.
I have a nice lot (most of the local guys have seen it), it's just under a 1/2 acre, inside Houston city limits. Decent house, nice neighbors - we exchange Christmas goodies every year.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:18 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Geo
Now, my next house will probably be about 1500 sq ft again. But the garage will probably be as big as the house (or bigger).
That's what I want, a nice oversized 5 car garage with a 2nd floor!
If I really wanted to shock you Geo, I could have mentioned the 5 digit annual property tax bills in the surrounding towns!
Red, I once had to stop and think about what an acre equaled as a kid, things aren't measured that way here, according to some paperwork the normal lot here is ~ 1/8 acre.
On the plus side the neighbors are great, the schools are good and the crime rate is low. When the weather is good I don't bother putting the sunroof back on the car at night with the car in my driveway. We get some humidity but temps rarely hit the 3 digit mark and if it gets uncomfortable the beach (with actual ocean) is an hour away. Winter is a 2-3 month change of scenery that gives me a chance to play in the snow with my son, spring AND fall are both nice. NYC is less than a half hour away if you're into the city thing.

Matt, we touched on the cost of living and the possibility of your move to Chicago in the other thread but I don't think I took the time to offer my congratulations on the coming promotion and good luck with the move!
Old 02-23-2004, 05:21 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Around the corner from my house (which is not that nice) you can easily pay 13,000 in property tax on a 2500 sq foot house. Move over three block to the gold course and it might be closer to 18K or more as most of those homes are in the 750K+ dollar range.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:42 PM
jaibeiber
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here in michigan, my friend who's family aint rich by any means, bought a house maybe 10 years ago on the lake. (i live about a half mile from lake michigan) they bought it for $80,000. it is now worth over $400,000. maybe the reason housing is more up here is because real estate values are increasing more then down there. what is important is not the purchase price, but the return value when you sell.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:48 PM
Matt H
Race Director

I dont care that much about the resale value as the home is purchased at fair market value by the company if not sold in 45 days.

The prices have climbed here too, my father in laws next door neighbor bought their house for 82K dollars in the late 1980s, it is worth well into the high 300s now.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:38 PM
Geo
Race Director

Matt, don't be a dick. Buy a house a close as possible to Road America. You hear me dude???? You'd better.

Hehe.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:41 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Dave
That's what I want, a nice oversized 5 car garage with a 2nd floor!
Funny you should mention that.

Already on my list. Originally I was planning on car stuff down, woodworking up. Looks like my father-in-law is going to retire in 2-3 years. He's as good a FIL as you'd want. So, we'll probably make a guest quarters up. It will only be the size of a 5 car garage though. Got to have room for the requisite lift (assuming I don't get out of the rat race by then).
Old 02-24-2004, 04:34 AM
FormulaOne10
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm over in Naperville right near the border by Bolingbrook. Bolingbrook is diverse - there are certainly some bad areas. However, they have opened up a commercial district near us where we do almost all of our shopping now...quite nice and expanding. Let me know where you are looking and I can give you some direction.

Naperville is excellent, the only problem is cost...have at least 300k if you want a decent size home. You don't even want to know what some of the houses around me are going for ($$$$$). The time to move in was 10 years ago. On a side note have you looked at Plainfield? Some say they are becoming the next Naperville...might be worth a look.

Quick Reply: OT: Moving to Chicago?