Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Rack Conversion: Does Anyone Sell a kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 01:17 PM
lamrith
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
I have to say, though, the 380mm size is quite comfortable for distance or daily driving. Maybe they should have called that one "touring"
Smaller can be nice to us taller guys though, more room for legs.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:36 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by lamrith
Smaller can be nice to us taller guys though, more room for legs.
I'm 6'2"! Once I moved the steering wheel out 30mm (with the M018 extension), it actually went 'up' a bit (due to the slight angle) giving even more room. The 380 never bothered me in its original position but this is an '88; I once sat in a pre-85.5 and oh man I could barely even get into it never mind turn the wheel! They really are low on the early cars.

Funny thing is I found the 363mm wheel gave me elbow pain after a while. I do about 50% highway each day's drive to work so maybe that's it. I'll admit it's a little nicer to park with the 363 though
Old 01-16-2019, 09:46 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Yes, I believe that's correct that the euro 86 cup cars had manual racks, Fuchs wheels, and a few other differences. If someone really needs that verified I can reach out to Anders. He used to own one and we are friends on Facebook.
Thank you, but no. In my case at least, your word and Jim's are more than enough. I do appreciate the offer though.

Best Regards,
Scott.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:07 PM
lamrith
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
I'm 6'2"! Once I moved the steering wheel out 30mm (with the M018 extension), it actually went 'up' a bit (due to the slight angle) giving even more room. The 380 never bothered me in its original position but this is an '88; I once sat in a pre-85.5 and oh man I could barely even get into it never mind turn the wheel! They really are low on the early cars.

Funny thing is I found the 363mm wheel gave me elbow pain after a while. I do about 50% highway each day's drive to work so maybe that's it. I'll admit it's a little nicer to park with the 363 though
6'4" here. I am pretty used to wheels near legs at this point in my later years, but nice when options are there to gain room. There are some cars I cannot keep my hands on the wheel over my legs. This 87 is not at that point, but not far from it. I know for my project car I plan to use an extension, since it is my car.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:32 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by lamrith
6'4" here. I am pretty used to wheels near legs at this point in my later years, but nice when options are there to gain room. There are some cars I cannot keep my hands on the wheel over my legs. This 87 is not at that point, but not far from it. I know for my project car I plan to use an extension, since it is my car.
FYi here's what a M018 Porsche adapter is like fitted (by drilling & tapping the Momo hub) to a standard aftermarket hub/wheel setup. In this case the wheel is 380mm:

The seat is two clicks up from the rearmost setting and just a touch raised.

Ok I think I better stop posting all this off-topic stuff in someone else's thread ooops
Old 02-15-2021, 05:44 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Yes, I believe that's correct that the euro 86 cup cars had manual racks, Fuchs wheels, and a few other differences. If someone really needs that verified I can reach out to Anders. He used to own one and we are friends on Facebook.
Is there a visible difference between manual and depowered powerracks? I owned both a 86 Turbo Cup and a 89 Turbo Cup and visibly the racks looken the same but the 86 was 3,1 turns lock to lock and the 89 was 2,9 turns lock to lock. The 86 I owned was one of the presscars for the german series and the 89 was raced in the german series by a Swedish team.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:45 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

I've got a depowered rack with u-joint shaft and tie rods (used) for $150 shipped in USA, open to offers...
Old 02-16-2021, 09:49 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by AkechiMotors
Many thanks! I'll read through that thread. As to kits, the only one I've come across is by a company called, "The Machine Shop." It seems to be just one person, and he also sells through Ebay. It looks like a pretty good kit centered around a reman'ed 924 rack. Does anyone out there have any experience with this kit?
I was pleased with "The Machine Shop" work and response. Martin refurbished my manual rack and rebuilt the intermediate shaft with 2 new U-joints. The issue was the U-joints had failed causing 10+degrees of free movement in the steering wheel.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:37 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 302 Posts

+1 on The Machine Shop rack.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:57 PM
basic 944
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harveyf
+1 on The Machine Shop rack.
Is this for a conversion of a powered rack to de-powered, or a “new” manual? I have 944S that I’d like to convert but still don’t know whether I should be doing a de-powered rack or just get the manual. I think it makes more sense to reuse my original rack, which has zero play, but I’m not 100% sure what “The Machine Shop” will do in that case and how much that process costs. Any input is appreciated.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:30 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by basic 944
Is this for a conversion of a powered rack to de-powered, or a “new” manual? I have 944S that I’d like to convert but still don’t know whether I should be doing a de-powered rack or just get the manual. I think it makes more sense to reuse my original rack, which has zero play, but I’m not 100% sure what “The Machine Shop” will do in that case and how much that process costs. Any input is appreciated.
You could contact them. They had been advertising their 'all-new' manual racks on E-Bay if you want to see pictures. I'm nof sure if they are currently, I bought a new intermediate steering shaft for my manual rack and am vety pleased with it. It wasn't a cut-and-welded ps shaft, or a shaft made with Borgenson aftetmarket parts. It looked like the real deal.

Quick Reply: Manual Rack Conversion: Does Anyone Sell a kit?