Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Rack Conversion: Does Anyone Sell a kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 06:08 AM
AkechiMotors
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Manual Rack Conversion: Does Anyone Sell a kit?

Is there a supplier that sells manual racks, or do people generally modify the PS rack to manual?
Old 01-11-2019, 06:34 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AkechiMotors
Is there a supplier that sells manual racks, or do people generally modify the PS rack to manual?
You can find manual racks on eBay and also here. I have one I haven't installed yet I got from a member of this group. Patience is needed, they don't come up for sale that often. There are also other parts needed to make a manual rack work with a formerly power assisted car. Mostly you'll need different tie rod ends and also a different steering column rod and U-joint (intermediate shaft). There are rumors of outfits that will sell you a complete kit, I have no experience with them and can't offer a link.

It's best to research all the parts you'll need for the conversion if you're dedicated to the feel of a manual rack as built by Porsche. I can say I am and I've been slowly assembling parts for about three years.

In the meantime, you may want to look at de-powering your power rack. There's a very good Rennlist thread on the subject here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ring-rack.html

I've done it myself and I recommend it. Make sure you read the whole thing though; "here be dragons". You can easily kill yourself if you get it wrong.

There is debate on whether the "Super 7" were shipped with true manual racks or de-powered PS racks. I've personally never found an authoritative answer to that question.

Regards,

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 01-11-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:01 AM
AkechiMotors
Racer

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
You can find manual racks on eBay and also here. I have one I haven't installed yet I got from a member of this group. Patience is needed, they don't come up for sale that often. There are also other parts needed to make a manual rack work with a formerly power assisted car. Mostly you'll need different tie rod ends and also a different steering column rod and U-joint. There are rumors of outfits that will sell you a complete kit, I have no experience with them and can't offer a link.

It's best to research all the parts you'll need for the conversion if you're dedicated to the feel of a manual rack as built by Porsche. I can say I am and I've been slowly assembling parts for about three years.

In the meantime, you may want to look at de-powering your power rack. There's a very good Rennlist thread on the subject here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ring-rack.html

I've done it myself and I recommend it. Make sure you read the whole thing though; "here be dragons". You can easily kill yourself if you get it wrong.

There is debate on whether the "Super 7" were shipped with true manual racks or de-powered PS racks. I've personally never found an authoritative answer to that question.

Regards,
Many thanks! I'll read through that thread. As to kits, the only one I've come across is by a company called, "The Machine Shop." It seems to be just one person, and he also sells through Ebay. It looks like a pretty good kit centered around a reman'ed 924 rack. Does anyone out there have any experience with this kit?
Old 01-11-2019, 07:30 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Many thanks! I'll read through that thread. As to kits, the only one I've come across is by a company called, "The Machine Shop." It seems to be just one person, and he also sells through Ebay. It looks like a pretty good kit centered around a reman'ed 924 rack. Does anyone out there have any experience with this kit?
My understanding is he will take your power rack and modify it to a de-powered rack, it's not a factory original manual rack. I'm familiar with his offer but I've never used his service so can't say anything about it one way or another.

Regards,
Old 01-11-2019, 08:04 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

There are a number of buy & sell groups for the 944 and 924 community on Facebook.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:39 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

In case you haven't seen it, or if anyone else might be interested, Tifo has a superb write up in the DIY section for swapping in a manual rack. https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...rack-swap.html
Old 01-11-2019, 09:51 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

I ran a depowered rack for awhile and really didn't like it. Perhaps I am insensitive but I didn't notice any improvement to steering feel but found it a huge pain in the arms for slow speed maneuvering. I rebuilt and installed a powered rack and am happy again. Just my opinion.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:02 AM
AkechiMotors
Racer

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
In case you haven't seen it, or if anyone else might be interested, Tifo has a superb write up in the DIY section for swapping in a manual rack. https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...rack-swap.html
Oh that's great - thanks! Very thorough. I didn't think about having easier access to the mounts during the swap, and my mounts do need replacing.

Does anyone know what the part number of a manual rack that will fit an '89 S2 would be? I see there are two manual racks, number 944.347.011.00 as suggested by the Tifo thread and 477.413.101, which I believe is for 924s. When I go hunting for them on German Ebay, the sellers say that I would need the 477, not the 944 as listed in the Tifo thread. It's a bit confusing, as I'd expect a 944 to need a 944 part with a 944.xxx part number.

Last edited by AkechiMotors; 01-11-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:40 AM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

A 924 manual rack will not fit a 944. It doesn't bolt to a 944 cross member. You need a 944 specific rack.

Since you have a late offset car you'll also need late offset manual tie rods which are NLA from Porsche. On my own car I used 95 VW Jetta inner tie rods (Moog EV378) and outer tie rods from a 1982 BMW 320I (Ultra-Power ES2158R). You can buy each one for less that $7 from Rock Auto.

You'll also need a manual intermediate shaft which which is about an inch longer than a power steering version. They are also NLA and most used ones, if not all, have slop in the ends. There are ways to build one or you can find ones that have been lengthened using a PS version. Either way, this will be the hardest part to find.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:04 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by royalschwarz
You'll also need a manual intermediate shaft which which is about an inch longer than a power steering version. They are also NLA and most used ones, if not all, have slop in the ends. There are ways to build one or you can find ones that have been lengthened using a PS version. Either way, this will be the hardest part to find.
Yeah, I've been hoping someone will re manufacture the intermediate shafts as I'll need one when I start rebuilding my race car. If there isn't one, it will have to be a custom job
Old 01-11-2019, 05:35 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh that's great - thanks! Very thorough. I didn't think about having easier access to the mounts during the swap, and my mounts do need replacing.

Does anyone know what the part number of a manual rack that will fit an '89 S2 would be? I see there are two manual racks, number 944.347.011.00 as suggested by the Tifo thread and 477.413.101, which I believe is for 924s. When I go hunting for them on German Ebay, the sellers say that I would need the 477, not the 944 as listed in the Tifo thread. It's a bit confusing, as I'd expect a 944 to need a 944 part with a 944.xxx part number.
I covered what would be needed for a late offset car in the write-up:

This article concerns doing the rack swap on a 1985.5 944 (“early offset”). The procedure is basically the same for all 1982 thru 1986 model year 944’s, including the turbo models (the only notable difference on these models is the brake booster heat shield which gets in the way during intermediate shaft removal and replacement). Post 86 cars that have “late offset” share the same basic procedure, with one exception being in the parts list mentioned above. Post-86 cars have longer outer tie rod ends. For these you would need to source part# 944.347.033.03 from your local dealer.
I know my write-up was a bit wordy so I can understand why you stopped reading before you got to it.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:03 PM
lamrith
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tifo,
Awesome write-up.
I am curious, besides the Intermediate shaft I thought the manual rack used a different tie rod connection or something else that was unique that made getting tierods to put one in a late model car difficult and not just buying parts off the shelf? Maybe that is what royalschwarz was commenting on?
Old 01-11-2019, 06:31 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Originally Posted by lamrith
Tifo,
Awesome write-up.
I am curious, besides the Intermediate shaft I thought the manual rack used a different tie rod connection or something else that was unique that made getting tierods to put one in a late model car difficult and not just buying parts off the shelf? Maybe that is what royalschwarz was commenting on?
I bought a pair of manual length tie rods straight from moog I think. Good price, new parts.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:37 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Originally Posted by JustinL
I bought a pair of manual length tie rods straight from moog I think. Good price, new parts.
Here is the part number I bought. Moog EV-378. Fits my manual rack with late offset everything else. 45 bucks Canadian each from rockauto as of my search.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:18 AM
AkechiMotors
Racer

Originally Posted by tifosiman
I covered what would be needed for a late offset car in the write-up:

I know my write-up was a bit wordy so I can understand why you stopped reading before you got to it.
It’s great - read through all of it. My confusion re. rack part numbers stems from a conversation I had with a guy who sells manual racks on German Ebay. His listing for 944 manual racks (part# 944.xxx) says that they don’t work with S2’s, but the 924 racks (part# 477.xxx) do. I also had a conversation with a vender State-side who sells a manual conversion kit for 944’s that uses a 924 rack and custom mounting clamps to adapt it for 944 use. So, I’m just not clear on exactly which of these two racks I need for my ‘89 S2 (I am clear about the different rod lengths pre and post ‘85.5).

Quick Reply: Manual Rack Conversion: Does Anyone Sell a kit?