Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 944 owner, right into the deep end

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 09:30 PM
Swenny
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

"Dude... there's some wild suggestions here... !"
Well it's his loss. When I look for my 3rd P-car as I did with my first 2 I'll will be looking for hacks done to the machine and walk away from it if "normal" P-car wear and tear and repairs aren't seen. So others do the same I assume. So don't cut your doors for speakers! I'll walk way!

Old 10-17-2018, 10:15 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

If the oil/water heat exchanger housing is cracked or warped, let me know... I have one that is all nice and silver powdercoated. Ready for install with the cooler if you need that too.It's extra for me since I decided to go another route and eliminate it..thanks, just PM me if you wish.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:29 PM
lamrith
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weeellllll,
Things escalated quickly. Went down to a wrecking yard south of here that had a 1987 944 with good body panels. Ended up leaving with an entire car, Just got home with 944 #2.

Car is totally thrashed. Driver's Window has been down in our wet weather for who knows how long. Interior is completely shot, missing Alt, AC comp, power steering pump. Steering rack is not even bolted up to the car. But Pass Fender and windshield (with antenna) are 100% intact and straight and those alone are more than I paid for the car. :-p

So now I have what will be a gutted chassis, oooohhh man o man, I love a good project. This could get interesting once the kid's car is solid.
Attached Images  

Last edited by lamrith; 10-18-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:45 PM
Clark-88-944
Track Day

lol, before you know it you'll have half a dozen sitting around.

Clark
Old 10-19-2018, 01:09 PM
lamrith
Instructor

It will not reach that point Clark. I have done other "parts car recommended" cars like mg, mustang's. Still married after 24yrs and she not having a wrecking yard..

This parts car is a mess. Interior totally gone, engine missing accys. Still debating ideas on what to do with it once I pull windshield and fender. Might put damaged parts on it and list locally. Betting someone grab it as drift car. Or I will make a stripped toy out of it.
Attached Images      
Old 10-19-2018, 07:00 PM
Clark-88-944
Track Day

hmmmmm, interesting Larry. I bought my first MG 30ish years ago. Had a '80 MGB and '74 MGB GT when I got married 22 years ago. Still have the '80 MGB (sold the GT) a '87 944 parts car and the '88 944 is now my daily driver and the '80 MGB is waiting restoration. Oh still have the wife too

Clark
Old 10-19-2018, 07:10 PM
Swenny
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Clark-88-944
hmmmmm, interesting Larry. I bought my first MG 30ish years ago. Had a '80 MGB and '74 MGB GT when I got married 22 years ago. Still have the '80 MGB (sold the GT) a '87 944 parts car and the '88 944 is now my daily driver and the '80 MGB is waiting restoration. Oh still have the wife too

Clark
Clark, you have a car farm! One of my aspirations. Something breaks, you walk out to the stored car and pull it. Pennies on the dollar parts wise.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:30 PM
lamrith
Instructor

Originally Posted by Clark-88-944

Clark
HAHA Yeah I had a 78 MG but was only 15yrs ago. It ended up as a 5.0L Lot of fun for sure, sold it and bought the 95 Mustang GT Convert. Then I had a few fox mustangs (liked the 302/5.0 from the MG work). Still have the 95, now we have two '87 944 N/A, plus my SHO daily driver, wifes Miata DD and a suburban. SO yeah driveway pretty full, not got room for more!
Old 10-20-2018, 01:48 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lamrith
Now I have issues with the steering rack...

...I have heard people say options 1&2 are best, better than manual rack, but I do not buy it?
Good, best not to. Aside from a good quality re-seal your only real option is #4 (full monty de-power) or the un-mentioned option #5, which is to install a factory manual rack.

Originally Posted by lamrith
4. Full monty tear down, remove piston/seals and grease up - To me the most complete and "proper" option for depowering, labor intensive, but otherwise cheap.

So the question is, who has done any of these options and how was it? How does it compare to a OEM manual rack?
I've de-powered mine and I'm happy with it, there's a pretty extensive write up on the procedure here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ring-rack.html

About the various sway bars, this gives a pretty good idea of what all the options were (mostly, there are some notable exceptions):

http://clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/susp-15.htm

If no one else has mentioned it, the Clark's Garage site is sort of the local bible for DIY 944 repair. Looking forward to hearing more about your project!

Regards,
Old 10-20-2018, 03:14 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Dibs on the radio! When/if you pull it! Lets see some more pics of it! Or if you REALLY want to go whole hog on this, gut it, cut the chassis and body in half, add about 12 inches behind the seats and install a new Chevy LS engine in it.plus lots of strengthening tubing. Probably need a G50 gearbox to hold the power. Just a thought I had about my 89 parts car before the tree fell on it.and crushed the roof in even with the door handles. .BOO!
Old 10-20-2018, 11:16 PM
lamrith
Instructor

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
Good, best not to. Aside from a good quality re-seal your only real option is #4 (full monty de-power) or the un-mentioned option #5, which is to install a factory manual rack.

I've de-powered mine and I'm happy with it, there's a pretty extensive write up on the procedure here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ring-rack.html

About the various sway bars, this gives a pretty good idea of what all the options were (mostly, there are some notable exceptions):

http://clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/susp-15.htm

If no one else has mentioned it, the Clark's Garage site is sort of the local bible for DIY 944 repair. Looking forward to hearing more about your project!

Regards,
Yeah I have hit Clarks for a number of things. Great site and sorry to hear I will never have a chance to thank him for the work. I know what it is like documenting that sort of thing. True labor of love.

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Dibs on the radio! When/if you pull it! Lets see some more pics of it! Or if you REALLY want to go whole hog on this, gut it, cut the chassis and body in half, add about 12 inches behind the seats and install a new Chevy LS engine in it.plus lots of strengthening tubing. Probably need a G50 gearbox to hold the power. Just a thought I had about my 89 parts car before the tree fell on it.and crushed the roof in even with the door handles. .BOO!
Honestly the last few days have been spent researching things and the current (entire family approved!) plan is to do an LS swap. No need to cut it up though, just mount straight to the driveshaft and keep the gearbox in tail. I will keep you in mind for the radio, I will most likely modernize that if I end up doing the swap project. 1st task is getting boys driver all dialed in, as that is what started all this.

Last edited by lamrith; 10-20-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:42 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

"Honestly the last few days have been spent researching things and the current (entire family approved!) plan is to do an LS swap."

Have you considered just buying him a Corvette or maybe a Camero? Might be a whole lot cheaper and depending on the local aesthetic, it might also be a whole lot more effective?

PS: A lot depends on your goal here. If you're just trying to enable your son, you might be better off with the Corvette/Camero. If you're trying to teach, and maybe teach aesthetics and values, the 944 is a better choice.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:47 AM
lamrith
Instructor

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
"Honestly the last few days have been spent researching things and the current (entire family approved!) plan is to do an LS swap."

Have you considered just buying him a Corvette or maybe a Camero? Might be a whole lot cheaper and depending on the local aesthetic, it might also be a whole lot more effective?

PS: A lot depends on your goal here. If you're just trying to enable your son, you might be better off with the Corvette/Camero. If you're trying to teach, and maybe teach aesthetics and values, the 944 is a better choice.
I should clarify. This thread is about my son's car which is a '87 944NA we have been gradually fixing things as they come up. One thing it needed was a passenger fender. No way I am giving him a V8 for his 1st car. Not that the 944 is not fast in it's own right, but two different leagues.

Last Wed we traveled south to a JY that had a matching color one with a good fender. We ended up driving home with the entire car as a parts car! That parts car is totally hammered, basically a rolling shell really given the trashed interior and missing motor parts. We are thinking of building the parts car up as a second car with a V8 conversion way down the road as a project for me. That is the car my response to Tiger was about, not my son's. Sorry if I made that confusing quoting both of you at once.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:00 PM
lamrith
Instructor

Healing/sealing the battery tray...

So my son's car has been safe and sound in the garage for many month, nice and dried out. It has some rust going in the front corner of the battery tray. I have peeled he paint off and gotten it cleaned up, but what is the best way to seal it back up? The drain port into the wheel well is clean, clear and wide open so I know water can get out of there now. It was not that way when we got the car.

I bought a can of 3m Rubberized undercoating to use to seal the replacement fender when I install it, I am wondering if I can use that in the battery tray area too? OR maybe some of the roll on bed liner will probably be much cleaner and easier to apply? I am not as worried about "concourse" correct as I am about making sure it is sealed up good to stop further water getting to the metal. This is 100% a driver car, and will see driving in all 4 seasons.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:59 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

I hope that the hole in the battery tray hasen't affected the DME computer in your car...It's probably right under the hole and water drains right on top of it.

Quick Reply: New 944 owner, right into the deep end