Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 944 owner, right into the deep end

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019 | 09:06 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Awesome project thus far and a great read!!! How's the interior of the 87 that you and your son have been working on? What ever happened to the car you got for parts? Seems like it could honestly be saved and clean up well. I see a lot of potential in that car!
Old 05-01-2019 | 04:03 PM
lamrith
Instructor

Lot of changes, and shuffling of plans all around MazdaVerRX7.

The interior in my son's 87 is in fantastic shape. Only bad thing is scarred center console cover and the drivers seatback bolster in the typical place, the rest is spotless.

Shortly after getting the parts car I found out that it is nie impossible to remove a 944 windshield intact, plus the paint was faded differently so a simple fender swap would not work. The parts car honestly is thrashed. It is really just a rolling shell. Missing all front accy for engine, interior completely shot from rain/water entry from open drivers window for years. No drivers door panel.. However it was all there otherwise and I had changed gears and started gathering parts to do a LS conversion on it. To the point I have teh conversion motor parts, bellhousing, a motor, etc. However the more I started adding things up and budgeting it just does not make sense at all. The cost to resurrect the car having to buy things just to make it a car suitable for conversion are astronimical, and I also realized that it would likely not live up to what I wanted for my hotrod project.

If that will not work then I might list it locally as a rolling shell or part it out.
So at this point I have dropped the 944LS project and the car has reverted back to parts car status. My son and I have talked though and his car has a few dents in spots that are hard to fix, plus it is over 194K mi. We are considering swapping the good parts off of his car into the lower mile chassis with good windshield as a summer project. I need to get time to check the wiring in the parts car before we start that project though.
Old 07-28-2019 | 06:41 PM
lamrith
Instructor

Well latest job to tackle is power steering rack. The little rubber plug/seal on his rack just disintegrated and now he is leaking power steering fluid. Anyone know what thread that plug is so I can get a plug for it? The port just to the right of the boot

If that is not possible where are people finding reasonably priced reman racks? A few months ago all the local autostores had them in the $150-200 range, now 2 no longer can get them and the other is $500+
Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2019 | 07:21 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

I got spare boots, clamps and seals for a reman of my manual rack from Carparts.com. It included the little rubber plug as well... they were Rein parts. Parts Geek may have some reman power racks. Hit up Ebay too. I saw plenty online for about 150 or so. The reseal kits go for about 50+ or so on Ebay. If I remember correctly. Hope this helps a bit. BTW you might hit up Amazon as well while you're shopping.
Old 07-29-2019 | 01:45 PM
lamrith
Instructor

This should probably fix the problem? Or does anyone know the thread pitch as I see a few pictures where people have a metal plug in that spot as shown in picture on 944online.
https://944online.com/index.php/powe...rain-plug.html
Old 07-29-2019 | 05:38 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lamrith
This should probably fix the problem? Or does anyone know the thread pitch as I see a few pictures where people have a metal plug in that spot as shown in picture on 944online.
https://944online.com/index.php/powe...rain-plug.html
Take a look here for specs on those fittings:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...l#post12236081
Old 07-29-2019 | 05:46 PM
lamrith
Instructor

I didn't see anything on there about the port I am needing a plug for. This plug rotted out on both my sons driver and the parts car. Just fell apart completely.

Old 07-29-2019 | 06:09 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

I didn't see anything on there about the port I am needing a plug for. This plug rotted out on both my sons driver and the parts car. Just fell apart completely.

OK, sorry. That's the pressure equalization line. It transfers air pressure from either side of the piston to reduce steering resistance, it's not threaded. I kept it stock when I "manualized" my steering rack. It's a barbed (not threaded) friction fit port. I haven't read the entire thread, is this a power to manual conversion? If so, you'll need to order the fitting from Porsche.

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 07-29-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-29-2019 | 06:22 PM
lamrith
Instructor

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
OK, sorry. That's the pressure equalization line. It transfers air pressure from either side of the piston to reduce sterring resistance, it's not threaded. I kept it stock when I "manualized" my steering rack. It's a barbed (not threaded) friction fit port. I haven't read the entire thread, is this a power to manual conversion? If so, you'll need to order the fitting from Porsche.
The equalization port is below that you can see if in the picture with the tube going off to the right.
This one points forward when installed in the car and normally has a plastic/rubber plug in it.
The car is not being manualized, the plug fell apart and started leaking steering fluid.
Old 07-29-2019 | 06:43 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

The equalization port is below that you can see if in the picture with the tube going off to the right.
This one points forward when installed in the car and normally has a plastic/rubber plug in it.
The car is not being manualized, the plug fell apart and started leaking steering fluid.
OK, sorry yet again, looked like the equalization port.

I found all the ports on the rack spec'd as described in the post I referenced. If it isn't threaded as described and it doesn't connect to anything, have you considered using an epoxy plug?
Old 08-05-2019 | 02:11 PM
azerite
Advanced

If that is not possible where are people finding reasonably priced reman racks? A few months ago all the local autostores had them in the $150-200 range, now 2 no longer can get them and the other is $500+
I ended up getting mine from Zim's autoteknik. You can find them on google, they have a slew of 944 parts. It's rebuilt just an FYI, but so far so good.
Old 08-05-2019 | 03:37 PM
lamrith
Instructor

Originally Posted by azerite
I ended up getting mine from Zim's autoteknik. You can find them on google, they have a slew of 944 parts. It's rebuilt just an FYI, but so far so good.
Thanks Azerite! $310 is much better than $460-500. I will keep them on short list.

Quick Reply: New 944 owner, right into the deep end