Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 944 owner, right into the deep end

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 05:54 PM
lamrith
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys I figure it was just incorrectly wired. The passenger door works correctly, just drivers control is backwards..
Old 01-24-2019, 06:01 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If the window switches on your 924S are anything like mine (and as I recall they're identical) the switch is in upside down because it can't be wired backwards. I did that a few months ago.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:19 PM
Swenny
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
If the window switches on your 924S are anything like mine (and as I recall they're identical) the switch is in upside down because it can't be wired backwards. I did that a few months ago.
​​​​​​ That what I did. Flip it over
Old 01-24-2019, 06:24 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Swenny
​​​​​​ That what I did. Flip it over
Yeah, a stupid mistake on my part, I should have checked the orientation before snapping it into the trim. Now I can't flip it because I had to make a McGuyver style repair to the trim to get it working in the first place and I'm afraid of breaking it by pulling it out and turning it over. Old cars. Old plastic.

And why do I have a sudden urge to buy Macweldon underwear? Love it or the first pair is on us? Does it come in Nomex?
Old 01-25-2019, 09:20 AM
Clark-88-944
Track Day

Originally Posted by lamrith
IS that cold or hot, or will it not alter it much?
I usually run the test with a warm engine. Not hot, too hard to work around a hot engine! That said I don't see much difference between hot and cold tests. Wet and dry tests make more of difference, some oil in the cylinder helps the rings seal up. So if you get a much higher reading after adding a bit of oil your rings are suspect. If oil doesn't make a difference, and your readings are low, it might be your valves leaking.

Cheers!

Clark
Old 01-26-2019, 02:19 PM
lamrith
Instructor

Just ran it cold. 192K miles on car, no idea if it longblock has been opened.
1 170
2 173
3 160
4 165
Old 01-26-2019, 04:13 PM
lamrith
Instructor

Sooo next hurdle up...
Rear swaybar install. This car did not come with one from the factory. I bought a swaybar and endlink setup, bar bushing, mount, bolts and droplinks.
But the car does not have the proper bolt on the suspension arm to mount the droplink? Or am I missing something?
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2019, 08:31 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lamrith
Sooo next hurdle up...
Rear swaybar install. This car did not come with one from the factory. I bought a swaybar and endlink setup, bar bushing, mount, bolts and droplinks.
But the car does not have the proper bolt on the suspension arm to mount the droplink? Or am I missing something?
This is where mine's mounted on the '89 S2:

Another shot from the top (outside):

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 01-27-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:44 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

PS: Ignore the actual configuration of the droplink, I had it wrong in this picture (which was the subject), but the mount point is correct.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:15 PM
lamrith
Instructor

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
PS: Ignore the actual configuration of the droplink, I had it wrong in this picture (which was the subject), but the mount point is correct.
Yeah my car does not have that special Eccentric with the sway bar mounting part on it. Thankfully a member here has a pair and is hooking me up!
Old 01-28-2019, 10:45 PM
lamrith
Instructor

hrmm. So having some odd running lately.
When cold it will smoke 1st time under load when cold. Car will hesistate, not want to accelerate. Hard to tell looking in rearview if it is white or has any blue tint, but I think it is white. More pedal, the thicker the cloud, after a while staying on it, usually once get revs up higher in the rpm range it will suddenly and bounce out of it and take off. almost feel slike you flipped a switch and off she goes. Today I tried backing off pedal and it was still smoking a little, so I rolled back into it as I had traffic coming up behind me, it again coughed and took off. The compression number seemed good so I though it was a fluke, but apparently not. I do notice it happens when the car is cold. I let it idle 1-2min before I left work today when it smoked. if I let it idle for extended time and actually get warm, it does not seem to do it.
I am also noticing a fair amount of surging under 1/2 to 3/4 throttle under load, does it on accel hot or cold. WOT it seems to be smooth.

Any thoughts? I skimmed a few smoking things and they all mentioned loosing coolant, etc. I am not seeing any temp fluctuations, not look to be loosing coolant and no milkshake oil.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:17 PM
lamrith
Instructor

Can anyone help guide me on surging under heavy acceleration? anywhere past about 1/2-2/3 throttle and we can feel the car surging. Seems to me like the car is cycling something up/down. Any sort of tips folks can share on what I should look at to fix this?

On a good note, I found some Club wheels locally and picked them up a few weeks ago. Finally put them on my son's car, it really helped the handling and response off center. With the 944T suspension/sways and the 17" wheels it has transformed the car a bit and made it more enjoyable to drive (not that it was not before).
Old 04-29-2019, 09:12 PM
azerite
Advanced

man good luck to you. I undertook a similar endeavor and still going. keep it through?

As for the smoke, i can only think of the air flow meter, or CAT (if it's still on). I had a similar problem with smoke, and it turned out the entire cat was rotted inside the shell. Could be getting blown into the pipe? Longshot i know. As for the AFM, it will regulate air.

Did you try to reseal the throttle body with the $20 kit and adjust the idle screw by jumping the terminals?

I had a "hunting idle" fluctuating significantly on idle from 800rpm up to 1200, it turned out to be the throttle position sensor (just buy a used one off ebay that was tested, way cheaper that way, test yours first with a voltimeter, instructions are on youtube if you do a search. The throttle position sensor attaches to the throttle body so you can change it all in one go. A busted TPS can also cause hesitation and stumbling.

Last edited by azerite; 04-29-2019 at 09:43 PM. Reason: quotes
Old 04-29-2019, 09:13 PM
azerite
Advanced

sorry forgot to use quotes, this is in response to not being able to push down the lock pin and only being able to lock the door with your key.

this is on purpose so you don't lock your keys in. you have to close the door and lock it with a key. gotta love germans?
Old 04-29-2019, 09:15 PM
azerite
Advanced

school? i have people stop me on the street in NYC, mostly kids saying "nice 928 man" (it's a 944).

Quick Reply: New 944 owner, right into the deep end