Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What was your top speed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 07:44 PM
DMan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

That graph is bloody brilliant. Nearly needed diapers, I was laughing so hard.....

Old 12-14-2003, 10:04 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

im keeping one of marisa's pampers by the computer for when i read this post.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:45 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by NEXOLINE
944 top speed in a stock engine is 149MPH now let me ask you this with all the mods that i have done do you i can't make it go a extra 3 miles to reach 152. i can make it go more than 3 miles man.

WTF?!?!?!
dude,
I dont want to be mean but...........You must be talkin' about an S2 or something of the like.......Because a stock 944 will NEVER I repeat NEVER......reach 149MPH.....
Old 12-15-2003, 01:33 AM
Steve Cooper
Racer

Originally posted by TaylorSea4
Matt, you're kinda right. VERY large stones back then, and even today. But today, I don't suffer from the first problem. Not every bike goes into a tankslapper. Yes, dampners DID help the Gixers, but THAT problem was more of a geometry thing. Those early Gixers weren't satisfied unless you railed them in deep and ON the pin. Anything less and the goddamn things tried to buck you like a wild mustang. They were BAD, evil handling things in the hands of a limp-wristed novice. Baaad, unkaaay?

Yes, even today, bike speedo's are hopelessly optimistic. You'd have to have seen the speedo on the bike I took WAY too fast that day, but bascially if the numbers would have kept going around to the odometer, it woulda been around 180. Minus 10-15 correction means you're punchin almost a 160- 170mph hole in the air. The motor was built by Ron Scrimma at RES in Arlington. Goddamn thing would wheelie at a buck ten. Not death defyingly so; just fun little triple digit floaters...

Christ I hope I'm not coming off as an arrogant, AMAF wanna-be. For the record, I'd never try something so bold/stupid on a public road again. Well, maybe the 100mph floaters, but THAT'S IT! I SWEAR it...
Great graph, I know I shouldn't, but, but i couldn't resist chiming in on the bike/speed comments.

For the record, i've tried it, in another life. Insane speeds on public roads, on two wheels. I had to work up to it cause those big numbers don't come easy on a bike, but they aren't that difficult to hit at all. And after a little time it doesn't seem very ballsy at all.

Across many parts of western Utah and north eastern Nevada, I've held speeds from 155 to 165 on my CBR1100XX, verified by GPS. In some cases I'd been able to travel at that speed for over a hundred miles only to slow down for gas and pick it back up again. Never had a slapper, and used radar (valentine1), a programmed police scanner, and CB all plumbed through the helmet to successfully avoid speed traps many times. My top speed ever on my 135 horsepower, 500 pound CBR1100XX, verified again by GPS? 172. I've had the 951 up to it's top speed as well, another day, another set of stories...

Odd things go through your mind on a motorcycle at those speeds. Like distance over time calculations. A mile takes just over 20 seconds. 50 miles take 20 minutes or less. 165 is three times what used to be the legal speed limit. In two hours you could nearly clear the whole great basin desert from east to west. In ten minutes you've burned through just under a gallon of gas, in a one liter engine

My most interesting anecdote? Hitting a small unfortunate bird at 130 - I was traveling slower than normal due to to a fierce crosswind. Hitting the bird felt like hitting a wiffle ball with a heavy bat, but what a mess. Had to drive another 10 miles to Rachel, NV (home of Area 51) to gas up and clean off the bird jerky.

Another anecdote- I raced a buddy in his turbocharged continental v-twin bonanza, door to door, from his airport in Hurricane Utah to a friends bar in SLC, around 300 miles. I beat him. He paid for drinks.

I don't do this **** any more. Really. Unless it's 280 ;-)

Last edited by Steve Cooper; 12-15-2003 at 01:58 AM.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:03 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I say..... ***** the size of church bells.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:03 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Default The truth about Nexoline?

I like Egg Nog flavored ice cream. They only sell it around this time of the year, though.

Speaking of Nexoline: I have a feeling he has hijacked someone's ID.

I did a little searching through the Rennlist archives, and there is a difference in his writing style.

For example, his first post read:
Nexoline wrote on 11-06-2002:
Hi guys

i'm working now on a molding to make a fiberglass insert that will go in the fog light hole and will take place of the fog light it self with a nicer look, it'll have 1 halogen and 1 fog light kind of a 968 style that will just fit in there. it would only fit on the turbo/s/s2 style bumper. one side is done but i don't a picture now but i will finish it by sun then you guys will see how it looks on my car.
if you guys want i can make you one for sale.
i have a new project that big companies haven't done yet to the great 944 but i will. then next project will be a rear tail light upgrade that will catch eyes. not just the typical all red light but a brand new type of tail light that will catch any 944 owner's attention. and lot more project coming soon....
i was thinking of fiberglass door panels painted with the PORSCHE letter inside but thats only if i get good feedback on it. i'm a fiberglass freak
and i'm loving it....
Complete sentences, spelling is fine, it is easy to comprehend what he's saying. (Ok, maybe he had a couple of run-on sentences, but all in all, the post is fine)

Now, let's fast forward to December, 2003:
Nexoline from the "What's your top speed" tread, 12-2003 (compilated from several posts
i did some secret mods wich will be given to you if you can get a close guest?
also i been doing mods that i learned from dad since i was 14 so i do know lots of secrets
---------------------------------------------
after you see it done you will wish you can it from me.
- the car is legther than stock may the lightest around
- many other mods that are not city legal but are open freeway legal
i don't have any more pics cause this project have not even started yet but i will post some may be next month but first i have to find a pair of messed up tail light cause i don't want to scratch the ones in my car while doing the messurement and stuff.
is sad you not intelligent enought to reconise how much is worth to learn from your parents. and you will never know what is like to drive at 191 MPH just cause you don't know about cars and how they work.
Note the difference in writing style. (Or lack thereof with the NEW improved Nexoline.) It seems that his writing has deteriorated substantially in a year.
The 'NEW' Nexoline, never mentions the fog light mod that the 'OLD' Nexoline was working on, but he mentions a lot of other mods, including taillight mods. Plus there's no longer any mention of him still working with fiberglass.

Hmm, I smell a rat! What's that expression again? Oh yeah, OWNED!

-Z-man.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:58 AM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just wanted to be a part of this thread.

You guys have Nexoline all wrong anyways--his secret mods mention oversized piston--only, not the other three.

And his car is ultra-lightwieght, so I am thinking that he bought Craig's old N/A after Craig updated to a turbo.

Throw in a lightweight driver(I am thinking something is missing upstairs)+custom air intake+special open exhaust-wind drag-friciton+earths' gravitational pull+ Pixie dust=elventy thousand MPH.

BTW--fastest for me was 150 MPH in a rented 911 C2 cabrio(top down) heading to Lake Meade outside Vegas.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:20 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I am thinking he isn't even in the US. Maybe JD could confirm or refute that. He clearly doesn't speak English as a first language.

Also, do a search for Nexoline in Google and see what you come up with.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:22 PM
James86-951
Pro

The fastest I ever went on the street was 137 (indicated) in a 300zx Turbo with a modified wastegate. (The fuel shutoff and one hell of a bumpy road kept me at that speed.) I-16 back in '91 (and maybe now) gets REALLY bumpy at that speed.

The fastest ever was in a '77 280Z (SCCA ITS Class Illegal) at charlotte motor speedway. Timed 155mph. I think the timer messed up, but I still kept the the list from that race. (Just to say I did it.)

I had to add something. This thread has really cost me some brain cells and a lunch hour.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:26 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree Z-man.. Egg Nog at Petersen's in Oak Park on Chicago ave. Thay make it by hand.. MMmm Yummy.

Oh, and Peppermint stick, with the little bits of peppermint crunchy stuff in the Vanilla is great too..
Old 12-15-2003, 06:40 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't believe it. I came home from work and read another 10 pages of this... again!!!
Old 12-15-2003, 07:42 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

yup.
Personally I hope this thread never stops.....we already beat the record.I say go for 30 pages.Who knows
Old 12-15-2003, 07:42 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey Eric

[i]86 951 alpine white/burg. w/color-keyed Fuchs(will trade for Mopar) [/B]
My Quest is a Mopar
Old 12-16-2003, 04:14 AM
Redeye
Racer

I just finished reading this entire post... I am now dumber.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:44 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

hey red eye
I just wanted to say how much I like your car. I alwayed wondered about what my car would look like if I had turbo twist's, and I must say not bad...not bad at all.

Quick Reply: What was your top speed?