Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Dyno - 447 RWHP on CIS

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 10:08 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't anybody think this whole idea of using extra boost lower in the rev range interesting? Would it be a case of making the car undrivable, or simply a silly idea, BS, don't be silly, WTF, pull the other one etc???????

edit; BTW, i see what you mean with the N/A numbers, i think the highest 3.8RSR figure i've heard is 410bhp, so another 50 or so is quite a leap!!

Last edited by JBL930; 05-13-2006 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:19 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Don,

I agree with what you have to say too, but it missed (and is not in conflict with) my point. I'm going beyond the single set of conditions that you're assuming. For a given set of conditions (boost, fuel, timing, etc) there may not be much flexibility in the maximum numbers. Anything otherwise is potentially disasterous.

My point is that users have different purposes, and as a result, different thresholds of acceptable longevity. You and I might want an engine that lasts essentially indefinitely on street fuel. Someone else might want an engine for the dragstrip that runs low 9s, but is willing to have that be a 30 minute engine. In such a case, it's appropriate for the dyno tuner to ask the question "how much do you want?" Of course, he should also say, if you want 1000 hp, your engine will live for only a few minutes!

This all started over doubt about the Swedish man's very high numbers. I don't have any reason to judge his numbers one way or another. But I'd certainly want to know how long his engines will last.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:14 AM
sewell94
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the thing guys, u have to take dyno numbers with a grain of salt. Not to knock on brent but those numbers are not accurate. I seen SAE corrected, which those things way off when it comes to boost. You probably got a correction factor of 10-11%( which is what my buddys dyno in colorado gets) The problem with it is that the sae factors are for NA applications. The air is thinner up there and because of that the correction factor give u a big boost in hp numbers. The problem with a boosted car using those numbers is that the turbo is working a little harder to get 15lbs but it is still 15lbs. It takes care of the difference from the thinner air. Plus dynojets read higher than other dynos (its 9% higher than mine and 11% higher than a dyno dymanics, thats if they are setup properly)U can tell me thats not true etc etc. In the honda world there was a big debate about this, there was tuner that was making big big numbers with his cars, but he was in utah and was getting 11% correction factor. So when he went to race a in texas they threw it on a buddys dyno there, low and behold much smaller dyno numbers, the was extremely fast but the track numbers didn't support his overinflated hp numbers. On my dyno here in Fl (it has a weather station on it) my correction factor only varies a few %, when its real hot we may get 2-3% but thats it, 99% of the time it is less than 1%. I noticed the swede also appeared to have an engine dyno, so if hes giving out flywheel hp plus say hes running it sae(and lets assume he is, and get say 10% corection) between the both of them his numbets get over inflated 20-23% compared to our WHEEL HP. Which puts his stuff closer to what the other top guys are getting. I have seen some of his work it is def top notch, and he has some other tricks that really help to unleash the hp.

Quick Reply: Dyno - 447 RWHP on CIS