911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Dyno - 447 RWHP on CIS

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 01:43 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Twinplug 930,

I'm not the all-knowing expert, in this, but I'll tell you what I've done or been told.

a) I think the general rule is to run as close to 1:1 as possible. For a stock transmission, I think that may be 3rd gear. In general, I think you'd run in either 3rd or 4th gear.

b) How much boost you run depends on what you want to do or know. Maybe you'd want to vary the boost to see what power it puts out a various boost levels. Maybe you'd want to run as high a boost level as you'd ever encounter during use, so you know the "worst case" on A/F curves. But if you're only making three pulls, I'd suggest you stick with the same boost, because there will be scatter in the data, and it's good to keep things the same for several pulls to make sure your readings are accurate.

c) Again, that's your choice. Certainly you'd want to go to at least 6000 or so. I'd suggest running up close to the redline to see what the power profile looks like in the upper rev ranges (which will tell you if it's worth actually doing that on the road). Maybe most importantly, if your car is going to lean out, as mine did, the highest engine speed was worst case A/F ratio. If you're looking for trouble, that's where you may find it.

d) You certainly want to have a big fan on the engine. I don't know how big the fan is that you have available, but if you're uncomfortable with it, go to a facility that has a huge fan. Fortunately, the pulls are very short, and if you cool down between runs, you should be okay as long as you're watching the gauges and use common sense. If you have a front cooler, they should have a fan in front too.

e) I'd test with the lid open and the fan blowing right at the engine and intercooler

f) I suspect you are speaking of the air temperature exiting the intercooler and entering the manifold, is that right? The air exiting the turbo (prior to the intercooler) will be much hotter. If you're talking about the air temperature exiting the IC, then I've been told you want to see it no higher than 125 F if you're running it hard.

On your last note, I'm not familiar with the HKS additional injector unit. If it's a "seventh" injector, that injects fuel into the manifold somewhere, then the current wisdom says it would be a bad idea to use it because it's impossible to assure even fuel distribution in the manifold runners. If the HKS unit performs in some other capacity, then I'm not able to comment on it. If you are running CIS and you find yourself running lean at any point, look at posts here and elsewhere by Brent930, who has dug deeply into making CIS work.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:59 PM
Brent 930
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a) 3rd gear

b) Whatever the max boost your going to run for the biggest numbers

c) 6500 is good enough

d) Get a big fan, oil temps won't be the big factor yet intake air is the one you want to look out for.

e) Deck lid up with that big fan blowing on it.

f) 70 deg???

Is the HKS a stand alone unit for each injector or a 7th injector? If a 7th injector then forget about it.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:52 PM
Dean
Instructor

I think the decklid should be closed. The engine fan will pull a bunch of air in through the intercooler. I would put a fan on the oil cooler
Old 10-14-2003, 01:42 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, deck lid closed with a fan on top of that and the front oil cooler. If you have another you can blow another under the car to move the heat away. Pump the tires up another 10PSI for side wall give and make a operating temp, cold run where the turbo is not heat soaked.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:06 PM
twinplug930
6th Gear

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, I should have said the temperature coming off the intercooler usually reads about 70 degrees, not the temperature coming off the turbo unit.

In the way of the HKS unit, I have some literature that came with the car that I need to read up on. I think it is a 7th injector, and the fact that evidently that's not a good thing (from the posts above) may explain why the previous owner either didn't finish connecting it, or had it connected and chose to disconnect it.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:29 PM
Randy
Instructor

How about an update Rob?
Old 03-14-2006, 03:29 PM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The most I ever dyno'd was 387/423 @ 1.2 bar on pump gas, stock CIS & heads/cams/ignition, etc. I'm about due for a rebuild (134k) & am considering the SW upgrade to my CIS.

Have there been any improvements to the WUR's lately? who's got the best pricing on them?
Old 03-14-2006, 04:09 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

what's SW?
Old 03-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Rob S
Pro

Wow, you really dredged up an old thread here! I don't know what SW is either. But the upgrade you want for your CIS is available through Stephen at Imagine Auto. It wasn't available when I started this thread. But in my case, it wouldn't have been enough anyway, so I went with EFI.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:21 PM
Fast82930
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread should be alive and well very soon....
Old 03-15-2006, 12:12 PM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

steve Weiner: his WUR Mods. Sorry to drag up such an old thread, not even sure how I did it.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:52 PM
Rob S
Pro

I'm not sure if Steve Weiner does any WUR mods. You'll have to ask him. He did do some mods to increase the travel of the CIS metering plate, but they were minor compared to what's being done now, and they weren't sufficient to keep me in the black with my AFRs. Then again, I'm not sure anything would have helped my situation short of EFI.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:48 PM
Brent 930
Racer

Inreasing the fuel pin travel is a fallacy. The arm will never max out unless you push it down with your hand...LOL. If anyone cares to understand why I can explain it in more details.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:28 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Welcome back Brent.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:28 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Where have you been hiding...

Originally Posted by Brent 930
Inreasing the fuel pin travel is a fallacy. The arm will never max out unless you push it down with your hand...LOL. If anyone cares to understand why I can explain it in more details.

Quick Reply: Dyno - 447 RWHP on CIS