911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

B E W A R E of claimed "Actual mileage" odometers

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 11:15 AM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys,

Another Public Service Announcement.........

It seems that we have another less than reputable 930 seller (scumbag)on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-930-...US_Cars_Trucks

The seller "claims" that this car has it's original low mileage and also claims that this car has never been "Federalized".

Four (4) huge things wrong with this scenario;

1. Seller claims to be second owner and claims he bought this car from a friend yet he has no records prior to his ownership........
2. If this car has never been Federalized, how come it has a U.S. Speedometer and odo in mph ?
3. Since this car has a US speedometer, how can this be the original mileage ?
4. If this car really hasn't been Federalized as seller boasts, then at ANY time with NO prior notice, the DOT/EPA gestapo can show up at your door step.........check out recent nightmare below ! ! ! !

http://jalopnik.com/the-feds-just-se...u-s-1605985758

Warn everyone you can think of to stay away form this piece of ****.

P.S......The nasty hack-job on the door speakers should be enough clue for anyone !
Old 09-16-2014, 12:48 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

That guy has been trying to peddle that car for some time now.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:26 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by speednme
The mileage on these cars is a moot point for the most part...
Again I agree with the observation that at least for the 75/76 cars, the economics now support restoration. Mileage becomes literally irrelevant for a totally restored car where all mechanical parts are returned to factory spec and finish. That is now happening with 930s since values support the time money and effort
Old 09-16-2014, 05:52 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonH
Again I agree with the observation that at least for the 75/76 cars, the economics now support restoration. Mileage becomes literally irrelevant for a totally restored car where all mechanical parts are returned to factory spec and finish. That is now happening with 930s since values support the time money and effort
So true..I know of someone who is restoring a 76 and a 78 to original specs at the moment
Old 09-16-2014, 06:20 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by speednme
So true..I know of someone who is restoring a 76 and a 78 to original specs at the moment
Ah well, touché
Old 09-17-2014, 09:56 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by The Baron
Hey guys,

The seller "claims" that this car has it's original low mileage and also claims that this car has never been "Federalized".

1. Seller claims to be second owner and claims he bought this car from a friend yet he has no records prior to his ownership........
2. If this car has never been Federalized, how come it has a U.S. Speedometer and odo in mph ?
4. If this car really hasn't been Federalized as seller boasts, then at ANY time with NO prior notice, the DOT/EPA gestapo can show up at your door step.........check out recent nightmare below ! ! ! !

P.S......The nasty hack-job on the door speakers should be enough clue for anyone !
Well at least he has reduced the price,
Phil
Old 09-17-2014, 11:23 PM
tonypeoni
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Baron
Hey guys,

I hate to ever take issue with a statement on this bb but.. This car is not a piece of trash. If you look at the pics its in pretty darn impressive condition. Also you do realize that probably 20% of the 930s in this country are gray market cars. They have federalization decals like this. These cars are LEGAL!
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2014, 01:02 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tonypeoni
I hate to ever take issue with a statement on this bb but...These cars are LEGAL!
Not a question of legality.

"I purchased this car in 1987 From a fellow college of mine & I am essentially the second owner. I have all the records since I had it. This is a full euro-spec car which has never been federalized & has the highly desirable ZZZ vin #...In addition it has been upgraded by Callaway of NY with additional turbo boost to achieve 325 HP, a racing steering wheel and a shorter Porsche stick shift were added. The air conditioner was also boosted by additional cooler as well as boosting the stereo system with 2 amplifiers...I can assure you this car will scare the hell out of you when it will blast against the seat on take off..."

Shall I continue?
Old 09-18-2014, 12:33 PM
tonypeoni
Intermediate

There are no issues with this car other than the boneheaded statement about not being federalized. Also we need not to generalize and take things out of context. Gray market 930s are legal cars. They were all federalized. End of story. Further more a gray market 930 is a more derisible car.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/impo...l#Anchor-28852

http://icsw.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/hs799short.pdf

"8. Importing a vehicle that is at least 25 years old.

A motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old can be lawfully imported into the U.S. without regard to whether it complies with all applicable FMVSS. Such a vehicle would be entered under Box 1 on the HS-7 Declaration form to be given to Customs at the time of importation. If you wish to see that form, you may download a copy from our website at www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import. You should note that the 25 year period runs from the date of the vehicle's manufacture. If the date of manufacture is not identified on a label permanently affixed to the vehicle by its original manufacturer, to establish the age of the vehicle, you should have documentation available such as an invoice showing the date the vehicle was first sold or a registration document showing that the vehicle was registered at least 25 years ago. Absent such information, a statement from a recognized vehicle historical society identifying the age of the vehicle could be used."

Worst case this car was never federalized... So we look below and find that the car is exempt after 25 years. This car is 31 years old. So the NHTSA states below the car is exempt as it is over 25 years old.

What Im trying to say is that it is a moot point if the car in question was ever federalized. The car is 31 years old. After 25 years it does not matter the car is exempt.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/impo...owdisplay.html

"to require that a prospective importer: shall explain why the vehicle or equipment item is of historical or technological interest. The importer shall also provide a statement that, until the vehicle is not less than 25 years old, (s)he shall not sell, or transfer possession of, or title to, the vehicle, and shall not license it for use, or operate it on the public roads, except under such terms and conditions as the Administrator may authorize"

"We have substituted the conditions for an insurance policy and its maintenance until the vehicle is 25 years old for the notarized mileage
statement submitted for 5 years after importation which we originally proposed. Under 49 U.S.C. 30112(b)(9),a noncomplying motor vehicle may be
imported with no Federal legal requirement to conform it if it is at least 25 years old. Our new provision, thus, serves to release the importer or owner
from the restrictions imposed on show or display importations when the vehicle reaches 25 years of age."

Last edited by tonypeoni; 09-18-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:58 PM
tonypeoni
Intermediate

What I've shown above is that all gray market 930s are now exempt form the federalization process whether they were federalized or not and are legal cars to drive on US roads. Emissions in California are another story but with the right amount of money this can be achieved.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:41 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

...Further more a gray market 930 is a more derisible car.
Tony, why is that? (Is it the old point that they weigh a little less and have a little more power?)
Old 09-18-2014, 09:05 PM
tonypeoni
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Igooz
Tony, why is that? (Is it the old point that they weigh a little less and have a little more power?)
I don't want to make anyone mad here. I think all 930s are very special cars. They are to my generation what the 429 cobra was to the generation that came before. These cars are and will always be very special cars. That said and this has been cited over and over, the main difference besides a slightly lighter car is throttle response. Turbo lag. The euro cars have quicker throttle response. This was the main complaint with the re-entry of the U.S. 930 for the 1986 model year. A euro car will always be a more nimble lighter and quicker machine. I believe the U.S. emissions on a 930 weigh a considerable amount too.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:31 AM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

427 Cobra.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:07 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe a 428 cobrajet or boss 429 mustang, yumm.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:06 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I believe the U.S. emissions on a 930 weigh a considerable amount too.
Other than the cat it's probably around 25 at the most.

So.. can you get a zzz car registered in California based on the federal rules?

Quick Reply: B E W A R E of claimed "Actual mileage" odometers