Old 05-03-2010, 05:05 PM
buckshot
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 930 oil recommendation

Hello,
I used to be on the 944 board a bit, about 2 months ago, I purchased an 84
930 with about 41k on the clock. The car is a factory custom color (999 paint code) Euro "gray market" car. It has a good service history and is in excellent cosmetic condition. It does need the oil return tubes and the valve cover gaskets replaced. Very minor seepage in these areas. A couple questions, first of all, what oil is a good choice for Wisconsin summer driving only, no track use at all?
Second question, when I purchased the car it came with some "gentle mods"
described to me as "upgraded cams", Koklen intercooler, K27 turbo, B&B exhaust and adjustable (.75-1.25 bar) boost. It has an Air fuel meter and seems to be running a bit rich. It does have an upgraded air intake, a billet filter adaptor with what I think is a relatively small air filter, 2 1/2 high by 5 3/4 diameter.
It is just a pleated paper filter. I'm wondering if this may be a bit of a restriction for the intake?? I can put a K & N 3" high by 6" diameter filter in its place and it will fit. Is this a worthwhile upgrade?
Any estimates with the upgrades of its horsepower? You hear all the time that "oh its putting out at least xxx horsepower" but I know there is a lot of hype with numbers. A realistic estimate would be very helpful.
thanks in advance....
Old 05-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your new purchase! Of course you realize that on the 930 boards (this one as well as Pelican's) you'll get little response...and a boat-load of flack...for even presuming to ask for help without first posting pictures of your beauty! It's like a right of passage, or some such nonsense.

Oil...oh man, that is a much much discussed topic. Do a search on the topic and you'll discover more information than you can assimilate in just one sitting. Generally, people use anything from straight synthetic to fullblown dinosaur squeezin's. 20/50 usually, and an oil high is ZDDP (the zinc being necessary for cam lobe wear prevention in rollerless rockers). Brad Penn, Royal Purple are a couple of choices. I use Valvoline VR1; easy to find, good ZDDP content. Lots of opinions out there.

As to your mods and HP gains. Upgraded cams means what? SC, 964, what? K27 turbo....which one (S, HF, 7200, 7006)? Do you plan to run in the upper echalon of boost (1.25 bar...wow, hope there were some internal engine mods done to accomodate that). With your mods, you should be safe running 1.0 bar but no more than that because of fueling difficulties and engine stresses. It's good you have the AFR setup, and running a little rich is usually normal tuning, especially if you're running different cams and perhaps boosting beyond the stock .8 bar. And about fueling: Stock WUR or modified/adjustable? What about ignition....stock CDI or aftermarket? Headers or stock exhaust? And on the air filter: I assume you've a small one mounted directly on top of the intake above the CIS metering plate. I would opt for as large as will fit to minimize restrictions. Some people feel that K&N's are crap, others swear by them. Personally, I use them on all my vehicles.

More questions than answers....sorry! At 1.0 bar, best guess is you might be able to see 350 to 360 horses at the flywheel, depending on a lot of things.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:29 PM
buckshot
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mark for the quick response,
I'll post pics soon, the fueling and ignition is stock, I'll have to check on the exact k27 turbo thats in there, the exhaust is a full B & B setup with no
cat. Yes the air filter is right above the metering plate. The car was "federalized" in New York and I'm the 3rd owner. A Porsche shop in Illinois did all the mods about 5 years ago at 36k on the clock before the last owner bought the car. I think I mentioned it now has 41k on it. The cams are listed as "R S" cams although some people I have talked to say the RS cams would be too aggresive for this setup, so I'm in slightly uncharted territory and have to go with the "upgraded" term for now. I plan on keeping the boost below 1.0 bar as the car is a rocket with boost turned down.
I did order the K & N unit today. I'll have to see if it has any effect.
Good point about the ZDDP in the oil, I've heard a lot of good about Royal Purple.
Some people swear by Amsoil but I'm not sure...
One other question since you appear to be very knowlegable,
Is there any fuel treatment or addative that should be periodically used.
So far I'm just running Shell premium with no ethanol.
thanks again....
Old 05-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use the highest octane gas you can find. I think my local pump gas is 92 octane and "may contain up to 10% ethanol" - which means it probably does all the time. I have yet to see any ill affects, but supposedly the alcohol content eventually erodes rubber things, plugs fuel filters, etc. Here's a link to a very quick search on the topic https://rennlist.com/forums/911-turb...el-issues.html

Chevron Techron injector cleaner seems to have high marks in the 930 crowd...I use it at least twice a year and put a gas stabilizer in the full tank during winter storage (since ethanol has a strong affinity for moisture). Other than that, no real special considerations. Change the fuel filter seasonally as well.

Your RS cams may not be a bad thing, but I really don't know much about them. SC and 964 grinds have their own followers, depending on whether the car is seeing a lot of track time or not. Generally, a good street cam is the SC, but it will poop out at the upper rpm's wherea the 964 likes the top end better. Same thing with the turbo: K27 7006 pulls strong to redline, but takes it's time building boost when compared to the 7200 which comes on several hundred rpms sooner...but poops out on the top.

Once you've sorted out exactly what you've got under the hood, then just write it down for posterity. If you're happy with the performance, then count yourself lucky that the previous owner or shop did a good job on the modifications. Drive it like you stole it! And when not driving, spend your time lurking on Rennlist and Pelican. A great bunch of folks live here.

Wisconsin...I used to enjoy driving around your roads back when I lived outside of Chicago. The best part was dodging mosquitos the size of small sparrows. That was 12 years ago, seems like yesterday.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:57 PM
dt930
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Try Mobile 1 V-Twin 20-50. I use it in all my 930 customers cars.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Noah930
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Note the Mobil 1 recommended is the V-Twin stuff, at around $10/quart. The regular Mobil 1 is lacking in the ZDDP content.

I run Rotella (older style blend) in my car, but will probably change to Brad Penn as it'll be easier to find. The VR1 and Royal Purple are OK, also. Do a search on the Pelican site technical forum under "Ultimate Oil Thread" for more info than you know what to do with.

I also run a bottle of Techron before an oil change.

I'm anti-K&N. Others swear by it.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:31 AM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

I switched to Brad Penn 20W50.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

I can smell the oil used by a customer when I start to pull a turbo out of the box. Dino oils tend to coke and leave heavy deposits.

With the crappy fuel that we have today, a wise choice is upgrading to a synthetic oil. The ONLY downside is one has to deal with a few extra leaks.

My oil recommendations is Mobil 1 VTwin oil, designed for air-cooled engines with additives that exceed current auto levels.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:21 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

20/50 Synthetic

Quick Reply: 930 oil recommendation