Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Anyone with a 993tt engine in a 930??

Old 01-10-2008, 11:28 PM
turbobrat930
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Schnele, I also bumped mine up to 8 to1.. hopefully it will be a rocket!!! I think the final displacement came up to just shy of 3.6L... something like 3579 or 3582...something like that
Old 01-10-2008, 11:43 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

I am sure it will be.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:59 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Cheers for the info on the gearbox issue chaps, i will give it some thought!
Olli, Schnele, Turbobrat and others with big HP, do any of you plan to VMax your cars or will you never bother? You've all got plenty enough power to go well over 200mph.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:13 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

My luck has changed a little, the engine has arrived!! Bad news first being that the right hand CAT and bracket etc is shot, it's squashed almost flat so i assume i'll need either sport cats or as it's going in an older car i could go with CAT bypasses, probably muffler bypasses too, would that be silly loud?

The good news is it seams the car has K24's fitted, the number on the turbos (what can be read with the exhaust fitted) is K24 HE 5081312 00003
5324 988 7003. It also has some kind of boost control system, not sure on what this is exactly but my mechanic thinks it will have had some kind of control over boost level etc that was adjusted in the cab. Was this part of the 450 kit from porsche or has it been upgraded by others, maybe the turbo numbers will reveal something?
Old 01-11-2008, 02:01 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Does anyone recognise this unit, does it work in conjuction with the ECU or is it for fixed boost?

The ECU number is 993 618 611 00, is this the standard 96 unit or an aftermarket one?
Old 01-11-2008, 04:05 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

The EVC should have a small device that is mounted in the car to allow varieble boost settings.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

JBL - be careful; MOT emissions requirements are based on the year of the engine, not the car.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:50 PM
turbobrat930
Racer

Originally Posted by JBL930
Does anyone recognise this unit, does it work in conjuction with the ECU or is it for fixed boost?

The ECU number is 993 618 611 00, is this the standard 96 unit or an aftermarket one?
JBL, that is the solenoid portion of an EBC .... electronic boost controller... HKS, is the maker of the boost controller. You will need the part that looks like a small radar detector in order to use that. I dont think you can buy just that part, so u might need to buy another EBC....
Old 01-12-2008, 11:38 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

I think i'll remove the HKS thing and return that part back to standard for now, I think with the K24's on there and it almost certainly being remapped to make the most of them then that'll be enough power for now. My shop can't start the installation until later in the month and it's probably going to take the best part of two weeks to get it fitted and running. I'll get it straight on a dyno and see where things are and go from there.
It would be great to know what ECU i've got, the bosch number is 0 261 204 37*, the last digit is scratched off. to be the later tunable one the last three digits need to be 377 i believe, what are the last three digits of the 96 model? If they are 37? too i'll pull my hair out!! Anyone know?
Old 01-12-2008, 12:57 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

As the ECU stuff is 993 related i'm continuing my quest over there LINK to prevent cross posting, i'll keep the 930 related stuff over here.

It looks like we'll be retaining the 930 flywheel for now as i'm going to leave the 930 gearbox in the car, i'll fit a better gearbox at a later date as i've got enough on my plate at the moment! I am going to need a good clutch though as the old one was occasionally slipping, which one would be good for the torque of the new engine?
Old 01-12-2008, 02:36 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Go with a KEP.
http://www.kennedyeng.com/
Old 02-07-2008, 07:38 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Time for an update! Things are progressing nicely, all the wiring is done, the fuel lines have been fabricated and fitted, we went with the 993tt oil tank and stat so we can run twin oil filters, the 4 speed fits (with a bit of tweaking) over the stock 993tt duel mass flywheel and clutch assembly, I know they needed to fit a different actuator arm and bearing to work with the cable but nothing fancy. I simply thought that until i go down the 5 or 6 speed gearbox route it was silly to go for a better flywheel and clutch as it will most likely not be suitable for the new gearbox. Talking about new gearboxes, there was a RUF 5 speed for sale from a guy in Sweden last month, nobody bid on it, it was up for $7000, if i had known i would have been on a ferry right now going to collect it! I've tried e-mailing the seller but Fleabay block my messages, VERY frustrating! If anyone has or knows of one please let me know, cheers.
One of the turbos was toast, so i've got a fresh pair of K24's being modified at AET here in the UK, i've also got a pair of 130mm 100 cell cats going on with muffler bypasses, i know i can run without cats but it will help keep the noise down a bit and i can run all four sensors in the exhaust.
It turns out the engine has sport cams fitted with manual adjust tappets too, should be a torque monster when it's up and running

I have another question for you guys, i am obviously going to need extra oil cooling, bear in mind at present i have a totally stock front end but i'm willing to revise that. Basically i'm open to ideas, i'm happy to replace the stock oil cooler for a more effecient one and add another cooler elsewhere, or i'm happy to leave the stock oil cooler and run another one elsewhere? I don't have aircon anymore so i could fit something in place of the condenser underneath the car too. What would you do in my position?
If i'm better going with a new front valance which one would you use, i'm no doubt going to need a new rear lid and tail too, help there would be appreciated, TIA
Old 02-07-2008, 11:51 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Elephant racing sells an add on cooler for the front with the required AN fittings and hoses. The valance I have is a DP which is still available from them and as you can see it has both fog light and brake cooling holes.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:10 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Jonathan,
You've really been bit b the bug haven't you mate! Its a great project, I wish you the best with it. ANy idea what the weight distribution's going to be when you're done? Are you going to wider rubber to handle all of this new power and torque? Keep us posted and show us lots of pics. I hope it works out really well for you.
Cheers,
Jim P
Old 02-07-2008, 05:29 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Cheers Rudy, I like the look of the front of your car, we have to have a license plate up front here in the UK so it would obstruct the air to the cooler a bit, but it should still get plenty of air over it. There is this one from better bodies LINK it's a lot cheaper, is there a reason why the DP one is so much more expensive?
If i stuck with the stock front end is there anywhere else for an oil cooler, there is this offering from Ruf which mounts in the left-hand wheel well LINK
i'm just trying to evaluate all of my options, does the DP and Better Bodies front give lots more down force over stock? I'm planning to do some VMax runs in this car so stability and aerodynamics will be part of the equation.
This is probably a dumb question as not many have a 993tt engine in the back of a 930, but can i take it for granted that a GT2 style wing like this, or the RS one like this will definitely fit over the intercooler?

Hi Jim, yes mate i've been bitten quite hard! To be honest i've had the bug for quite a few years now, as you know, i've basically thought "**** it, i'm building a monster". Just wish i'd have done MAJOR research into the whole modifying thing before i even bought the car five years ago. I'd have most likely just done one of the IA packages and been happy for a while, then moved on to something else.
i take my hat off to the guys that have gone down the big HP EFI avenue, i'd love to have one of those engines and keep the car looking stock, it just wasn't to be. I'm going to get this engine in the car and see what it's like, everything that's been done is reversible and i'm going to rebuild my 930 lump back to stock form, basically so it can go back in the car in the future if this doesn't work out, i'll then sell it on and put the 993tt lump in a narrow body 964 shell and go for a slippery Vmax machine. Hopefully the car will be great and i'll fall in love with it , i'll need coil overs and a better gearbox if the engine is to stay in the car but i'll cross those hurdles when i get there. I'll keep you posted.
You coming to Le Mans this year?

Last edited by JBL930; 02-07-2008 at 07:43 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone with a 993tt engine in a 930??