Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

This car is wearing me down ......

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 07:19 PM
Maxx1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default This car is wearing me down ......

I've been able to drive it 3 days since I got it over a month ago.

I got my MSD installed and it was running good except the idle was too low. I tweeked the idle screw a tad to bring the idle up ( while the car was off ). I started the car and it is running on about 3 cylinders. I un tweeked the throttle screw adjustment ... same thing.....

The throttle screw is the big screw on the back side of the manifold right in back of the throttle plate, correct? I only tweeked it about 1/8th of a turn.

I pulled the MSD back out and checked all the connections... they are fine. The only other thing I can think of is that I left the ignition on for a while without the car running, I wonder if that could have ruined the MSD somehow?

I guess the whole frustrating thing is, I don't know 100% for sure if the Permatune is what was causing my heat related stalling problems. I would just like to get the car running again to prove it out and can't even seem to get that far.

I'll figure it out, but just had to vent. I'm open to suggestions.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:38 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't give up yet. One you have it running right, you'll be glad. You can adjust the idle while the engine is running. Here's a pic of the idle adj sccrew, but it sounds like you have it.

Leaving the ignition on for a short while shouldn't hurt the MSD, but obviously it's better to leave it off.

Did you cut the red wire on the cylinder select?
Attached Images   
Old 07-30-2007, 12:16 AM
DDD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't you say the relays on your permatune were not functioning when you tested them? That probably meant something. You had to try something with your car stalling out....

Your car will be fine when you figure out what is wrong with it.

I think you owe it to yourself to fix this problem and then take a break for a month or two and just drive it....
Old 07-30-2007, 02:01 AM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hang in there, it's worth it!
Old 07-30-2007, 08:23 AM
Maxx1
Instructor

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
Don't give up yet. One you have it running right, you'll be glad. You can adjust the idle while the engine is running. Here's a pic of the idle adj sccrew, but it sounds like you have it.

Leaving the ignition on for a short while shouldn't hurt the MSD, but obviously it's better to leave it off.

Did you cut the red wire on the cylinder select?

Yeah, that is the screw.

My MSD is the 6A and there is no wire to clip... I think that pic is for the 6AL with the rev limiter.

The only other thing that I did was reconnected the waste gate hose that pulled off. As I understand it, the top port is the vent and the middle port goes to the intercooler. I thought of that when I was looking for vacuum leaks.

Anyway, thanks for the ideas. I'll back track and sort it out.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:47 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

You are right. The pic was for a 6AL. Also, the top of the WG goes to vent/atmosphere.

Originally Posted by Maxx1
Yeah, that is the screw.

My MSD is the 6A and there is no wire to clip... I think that pic is for the 6AL with the rev limiter.

The only other thing that I did was reconnected the waste gate hose that pulled off. As I understand it, the top port is the vent and the middle port goes to the intercooler. I thought of that when I was looking for vacuum leaks.

Anyway, thanks for the ideas. I'll back track and sort it out.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hang in their maxx1.once you get it going right trust me it will be well worth it. good luck
Old 07-30-2007, 07:36 PM
Bernard
Pro

I agree with the guys... Hang in there. When I was removing all the emission stuff, adding headers/exhaust, full tune up, setting CO replacing wheels/tires, changing the diff oil I said what have I got myself into but once I turned that key and took that first drive all was forgotten.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:30 PM
Maxx1
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by Bernard
I agree with the guys... Hang in there. When I was removing all the emission stuff, adding headers/exhaust, full tune up, setting CO replacing wheels/tires, changing the diff oil I said what have I got myself into but once I turned that key and took that first drive all was forgotten.

Thanks everyone, that gives me some confidence again.

Tonight I fired it up hoping it would magically fix itself while I was at work today It didn't and was missing like it was yesterday. I turned it off and then got underneath and felt the each header pipe to see which cylinders were not firing. Believe it or not, it's only running on 3 cylinders. I pulled those plug wires and connected a spare plug, grounded it and then fired the motor back up to see if the plugs were getting spark or not. They were all firing, so that tells me the MSD is ok.

Next I pulled the none firing cylinder's plugs and they are black as coal. What I am thinking is during the process of the Permatune dying and then trying to get the MSD working with their bogus instructions .... all the short 1 minute starts and stops, maybe the plugs just fouled out? What is weird is that 3 of them would foul at the same time. I guess it could happen, I'll buy a new set and find out tomorrow. The plugs I pulled are Bosch Platinum W3DP0 stamped in the case. RO 282 in the porcelin. I'll have to check and see if that is the proper plug.

-Maxx1
Old 07-30-2007, 09:44 PM
DeWolf
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Get it out on the road and give it one hell of an Italian tune-up, clean those plugs in a flash.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:45 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

WDP3O is the right plug, but they aint cheap. What cylinders are not firing?

Check your cap, rotor and plug wires. A new set of plugs may just make the difference. It has in the past for many.

Originally Posted by Maxx1
Thanks everyone, that gives me some confidence again.

Tonight I fired it up hoping it would magically fix itself while I was at work today It didn't and was missing like it was yesterday. I turned it off and then got underneath and felt the each header pipe to see which cylinders were not firing. Believe it or not, it's only running on 3 cylinders. I pulled those plug wires and connected a spare plug, grounded it and then fired the motor back up to see if the plugs were getting spark or not. They were all firing, so that tells me the MSD is ok.

Next I pulled the none firing cylinder's plugs and they are black as coal. What I am thinking is during the process of the Permatune dying and then trying to get the MSD working with their bogus instructions .... all the short 1 minute starts and stops, maybe the plugs just fouled out? What is weird is that 3 of them would foul at the same time. I guess it could happen, I'll buy a new set and find out tomorrow. The plugs I pulled are Bosch Platinum W3DP0 stamped in the case. RO 282 in the porcelin. I'll have to check and see if that is the proper plug.

-Maxx1
Old 07-30-2007, 10:17 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

You might want to try Bosch FR5DTC plugs. They are much cheaper and work equally well - if not better than platinum in these motors.

It makes no sense that 3 holes stopped firing or fouled completely unless you have a cracked dist cap or bad rotor. You might want to remove all the wires and check the resistance - make sure you don't have broken or corroded connectors.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:57 AM
Maxx1
Instructor

Originally Posted by DonE
You might want to try Bosch FR5DTC plugs. They are much cheaper and work equally well - if not better than platinum in these motors.

It makes no sense that 3 holes stopped firing or fouled completely unless you have a cracked dist cap or bad rotor. You might want to remove all the wires and check the resistance - make sure you don't have broken or corroded connectors.

Thanks, I'll try those plugs. I realized anyhow that I can't regap the plugs I pulled out, and since MSD recommends regapping to a wider gap, maybe I can do it with the FR5DTC plugs? Once I replace the plugs I'll see how it runs. If I still have the problem, I'll check the cap and rotor. It is basically new, so I don't think that is it.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:12 AM
Maxx1
Instructor

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
WDP3O is the right plug, but they aint cheap. What cylinders are not firing?

Check your cap, rotor and plug wires. A new set of plugs may just make the difference. It has in the past for many.

I don't know the cylinder # layout. On the driver's side the front most cylinder is cold. Passinger side, only the middle cylinder is firing. Like the plugs suddenly fouling out, the cap and rotor suddenly going bad would be equally as strange. The condition of the plug tells me that it's most likely the problem... I am hoping so anyway.

Since this car runs rich, I wonder if I went one step hotter on the plugs if that would help... at least until I found someone who knows how to properly set up the CIS?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:19 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

FR5DTC plugs are multi electrode plugs and cannot be gapped in the traditional manner.

Quick Reply: This car is wearing me down ......