911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

This car is wearing me down ......

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:24 AM
Maxx1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
FR5DTC plugs are multi electrode plugs and cannot be gapped in the traditional manner.
hmmm.... I wonder if there would be any problem running them with a MSD?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:43 AM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:09 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The firing order is: 1-6-2-4-3-5 so if you are cold on 3 and 5, are you cold on 1? Makes me think that is is cap, rotor, wire realted.
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2007, 08:03 AM
Maxx1
Instructor

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
The firing order is: 1-6-2-4-3-5 so if you are cold on 3 and 5, are you cold on 1? Makes me think that is is cap, rotor, wire realted.

It was 3, 4 and 6 that were cold.

The cap, rotor and wires are all new. I checked the rotor last night ( some guys melted them with the MSD )... it is perfect. I pulled all the plugs and they all look fouled or close to it. I ordered some cheap-o copper NGKs to see if it will run normally. If it does, the next step will be to have the CIS set so it's not running so rich. Hopefully I will get the plugs today and find out tonight.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:24 PM
DDD
Pro

I mentioned in your other thread that running rich, to a point, is a good idea. Maybe you are too rich but maybe you are also idling the car too much without getting on it.

It is a great idea to check your AFRs, however! Then you will really be tuning your performance. The most power you will get is an AFR of 12.6, but you want it richer on boost which means you end up leaner than that at idle, more like 13 at idle, because the CIS dumps way more fuel on boost than at idle and you only have very limited adjustablility.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Maxx1
Instructor

Originally Posted by DDD
I mentioned in your other thread that running rich, to a point, is a good idea. Maybe you are too rich but maybe you are also idling the car too much without getting on it.

It is a great idea to check your AFRs, however! Then you will really be tuning your performance. The most power you will get is an AFR of 12.6, but you want it richer on boost which means you end up leaner than that at idle, more like 13 at idle, because the CIS dumps way more fuel on boost than at idle and you only have very limited adjustablility.

Well, it is too rich at idle, so I imagine it is way to rich on boost. Then again, I don't have a chance to flog it everywhere I go. I am getting ready to go out and put new plugs in to see what happens.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Maxx1
Instructor

Thumbs up

New plugs are in, I went to close the hood and it hit the coil, so I had to replace the oversize Accel coil with a standard Chevy coil because there is hardly anyroom to mount anything under there

Anyway, the car fires up and runs PERFECT! It idles at 800 rpm smooth as can be. I got brave and went out for a 20 mile test loop. No problems at all, no more hot stalling... so I guess it was that crappy Permatune that flaked out.

Now all I have to do is un tape my connections and shrink wrap them, then solidly mount the MSD and the coil ( I had everything velcro'd in place until I was sure).

Thanks everyone for pitching in with information and suggestions, especially A930Rocket with the correct MSD wiring phase, I really appreciate it !!

Old 08-01-2007, 10:29 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Good deal!

I would use the correct MSD Blaster 2(?) coil and not the Chevy coil. Also, mount it upside down.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Maxx1
Instructor

Good deal!

I would use the correct MSD Blaster 2(?) coil and not the Chevy coil. Also, mount it upside down.

Yeah, I'll buzz down to Summit Racing tomorrow and get one !

Why upside down... to keep it cooler?

Too bad those $14 a piece plugs fouled out. I wonder if I could bead blast them and reuse them, or if they are ruined... they only had a couple hundred miles on them.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:03 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Upside down give you more clearance to the intercooler and shortens the lead to the distributor. You can clean the plugs, but don't use a wire wheel or similar.

Summit? Are you in Atl or Ohio?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:26 AM
DDD
Pro

Originally Posted by Maxx1
Well, it is too rich at idle, so I imagine it is way to rich on boost. Then again, I don't have a chance to flog it everywhere I go. I am getting ready to go out and put new plugs in to see what happens.
Maybe it is too rich, but these cars will send out some blue smoke on start up even when tuned perfectly.

I really started to like my car after I took a road trip in it. I think you will really like it when you take it out somewhere.

Last edited by DDD; 08-02-2007 at 01:21 AM.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Maxx1
Instructor

Upside down give you more clearance to the intercooler and shortens the lead to the distributor. You can clean the plugs, but don't use a wire wheel or similar.

Summit? Are you in Atl or Ohio?

Ohio

Summit was just a little one room speed shop back in the 70s. Amazing how they took off.

I was thinking of using some Gumout and a brass bristle brush for the plugs.... they will probably be ok.

Yeah a Road trip sounds like fun!! There is a HUGE car show over near Pittsburgh PA every Friday night !! I may hit that.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be able to use a plug cleaner machine to blast the plugs clean - we reuse aviation plugs all the time as long as there is enough electrode left.

Quick Reply: This car is wearing me down ......