911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

thinking about 88' or 89' 930 Slant nose

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 06:52 PM
unklekraker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking about 88' or 89' 930 Slant nose

Hi guy's I'm a newbie in this forum, so please be gentle...ahahahahaha!
Well, first off let me introduce my baby (actually, it's for the wife). It's a 99' Boxster Burgundy w/ Tan leather interior, has 44k miles on it...my daily pocket rocket is Yellow 04' Matrix XR w/ TRD CAI and Magnaflow exhaust. Pictures below......
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...r/DSC00919.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...r/DSC00918.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...r/DSC00825.jpg

anyway, I bought the Boxster for wifey (engine been replaced already by Porsche due to valve slipped, didn't cost me anything) and now that she is really happy, i want to get myself a 930 slant nose or wide body as a weekend toy but i have no knowledge or don't know anything about beside being classic and cool.
what I need to know is:
a) the pros' and cons of 88 or 89 model
b) what should i look for?
c) is there any known constant issue about it?
d) how much would it cost, let say...less than 50k miles on it?

*I'm not planning to do any modification on it, I just want to keep it stock and probably w/ some exterior add ons but not engine mods....
Old 09-02-2006, 11:40 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 155 Posts

Do a search dearest Unc...these same questions have been answered and re-answered over and over, lots of great info in the achives. Get your favorite cup of coffee and read until your heart's content.

Yasin
Old 09-03-2006, 01:38 AM
unklekraker
Racer

oh, i kinda did that this morning w/ my favorite cup of coffee. my wife woke up @ 5am this morning and saw me on my computer staring at the pictures that was posted on "put your turbo pic's here" thread...i saw a lot of good ones but not too much about pro's and con's but lot's of good info on modifying it...hehehehehehe!

Thanks, Yasin! I would do that...might spend few hours tonight looking @ archives for it

*her exact word this morning = Babe, are you drooling all over those pictures again
Old 09-03-2006, 04:18 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

The 89 has a 5 speed transmission which is easier to shift than the 4 speed. A PPI is a must for any 911.

Make sure you don't pay top money for a slant that is a fake ! A factory slant is much more expensive than a normal car or a fake.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:53 AM
unklekraker
Racer

that's the thing...how would I know if it's a factory slant or just a DIY mod's? I've seen 2 slant nose in e-bay last week and they are both identical, but 2 different price, mileage wise was +/- 8k mi. difference...same color also the other has a RUF rims and Andial filter.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:26 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

A windshield sticker has all the options printed on it and the price. Later cars had it listed as an official option. A letter of authenticity might help too. A eariler would need a expert, get this person to carry out a PPI.

Hopefully others will give you more advice.

http://www.rpmsportscars.com/door30.htm

http://www.rpmsportscars.com
Old 09-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't forget that the factory offered the factory slantnose option in 1987 too.

Trending Topics

Old 09-03-2006, 09:35 AM
Daley88930
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 88 reg 930 and could not be happier. The good thing about a 4 speed is: when you are in a race with some M car or something with a six speed you can hear them wind and shift like crazy while your putting car lengths on them. The same holds true when racing almost anything else(except other modified 930s). Also, there just are not many 930s around so reg or slant attracts much attention and conversation(everybody loves the look). Good Luck in your search!
Old 09-03-2006, 10:23 AM
Olli
Racer

Congratulations on your wife's boxter! Nice car and I like your color choice as well.

I'm a fairly new 930 owner and I can tell you that these cars definitely have issues every now and then. But the interesting thing is that despite the issues, or maybe because of them and getting them resolved, you'll get attached to the car more and more. You will probably find that this is the very thing that solidifies your attachment to the car. The issue my car had was the ignition box. But that's fixed now. I'm sure there's other little things popping up every now and then.

About the cost, just a saw a stock 86 or 87 930 at Speedwerks in Thomasville NC. The asking price was a little less than $35,000.

As you have been reading this forum you probably have also discovered that the low mileage thing is an expensive myth. And to buy a car that is completely stock means that you will just spend all that much more when you start modifying the car. Trust me, you will want to start doing that. That's what makes the car your own.

Anyway, good luck with your search and I am looking forward to hearing about the car that will be yours once your search is over.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:33 PM
unklekraker
Racer

Originally Posted by nathanUK '81 930 G50
A windshield sticker has all the options printed on it and the price. Later cars had it listed as an official option. A letter of authenticity might help too. A eariler would need a expert, get this person to carry out a PPI.

Hopefully others will give you more advice.

http://www.rpmsportscars.com/door30.htm

http://www.rpmsportscars.com
I was going to say that I don't think the previous owner kept their "window sticker" when they first bought the car I clicked on the link that you have posted to check it out, HOT DENG! I ALMOST FELL OFF MY CHAIR WHEN I SAW THE PRICE...HEHEHEHEHEHE! THE ONE JUST BLEW ME OFF MY PRICE RANGE but thanks though. I could use it as a guideline if I see one around here and to show my wife how much people really take care of their 930 to keep the value abd plus, she already know that If I get my red 930, it won't be too long, I would start having relationship with it "it is already keeping me awake at night...hehehehehe!

thanks, dude! will keep you posted...
Old 09-03-2006, 12:37 PM
unklekraker
Racer

Originally Posted by Daley88930
I have an 88 reg 930 and could not be happier. The good thing about a 4 speed is: when you are in a race with some M car or something with a six speed you can hear them wind and shift like crazy while your putting car lengths on them. The same holds true when racing almost anything else(except other modified 930s). Also, there just are not many 930s around so reg or slant attracts much attention and conversation(everybody loves the look). Good Luck in your search!
True that! there's not to many 930's around especially here in CA. (big surprise too, they just won't let go of it) but it definitely attract attention and conversation! Thanks Daley!
Old 09-03-2006, 12:58 PM
unklekraker
Racer

Wink

Originally Posted by Olli
Congratulations on your wife's boxter! Nice car and I like your color choice as well.

I'm a fairly new 930 owner and I can tell you that these cars definitely have issues every now and then. But the interesting thing is that despite the issues, or maybe because of them and getting them resolved, you'll get attached to the car more and more. You will probably find that this is the very thing that solidifies your attachment to the car. The issue my car had was the ignition box. But that's fixed now. I'm sure there's other little things popping up every now and then.

About the cost, just a saw a stock 86 or 87 930 at Speedwerks in Thomasville NC. The asking price was a little less than $35,000.

As you have been reading this forum you probably have also discovered that the low mileage thing is an expensive myth. And to buy a car that is completely stock means that you will just spend all that much more when you start modifying the car. Trust me, you will want to start doing that. That's what makes the car your own.

Anyway, good luck with your search and I am looking forward to hearing about the car that will be yours once your search is over.
That' the answer I'm looking for...the small things that will pop out every now and then to get my self ready financially or get my pocket ready for it

about keeping it stock, yap ! you are absolutely right. i was doing more reading in the forum last night and i notice that they will buy it stock and end up doing a mod' s on it...35k is around my ballpark but i think i have to bump up my budget a lil' bit to get the 930 that my heart really wants instead of buying a stock and might take awhile before it get's to where i really want it" i'm not really a DIY type of guy

I will keep you guy's posted but for now, I will keep on drooling on your guy's 930 till I get mine, A Red 930 Slant Nose! well, gotta get ready for church now so I could start praying for miracle to happen anytime in my garage
Old 09-03-2006, 04:47 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

unklekraker,

There is a saying, "There is no such thing as a cheap Porsche." It's true. If you buy a cheaper car expecting to fix problems, you will spend as much as the better car you should have purchased. This is even more important for you as you stated you are not a DIYer.

My suggestion, considering your budget, is forget about the Slantnose. Spend your money on the best regular 930 you can find. $35k is about the average for your average used 930. Lower mile cars and '89s are more expensive. The '89s are the last year and only year with the G50 5-speed transmission and hydraulic clutch.

No matter what you buy, these are all old cars. ANYTHING could have happened to them during their lifetimes. You absolutely must have a competent mechanic who KNOWS these cars -- not just anyone -- go over your prospective car and identify all the bits that need adjusting, replacing, have been removed, damaged or are shot, repaint and accidents. Just something simple like new shocks is going to run you over $1,000 to have installed.

Don't know if you have driven any. They do look great, but they don't drive like Boxsters or newer 911s. They are far more mechanical feeling and harsh (a feeling many of us like compared to today's cushier cars). They don't have power steering. The air conditioning, unless you upgrade it (another few $k for a non-DIYer) doesn't work very well if you live where it gets hot. Again, they're old. That's the way they were back then.

The bodies are galvanized but they can still rust -- in the corners of the windshield and rear window and where the fenders join the body are a couple of places.

Aside from the ususal ads, another good way to find a car is to ask shops in your area that work on them or your local region of the Porsche Club.

I have a 1989 930 I am very happy with. My budget was higher than you stated but it has, happily, been a no-issue car. It's stock, with 25k miles on it now and I only drive it on nice days. I try to get it out at least once every two weeks. Some pics are here and in the link in my signature: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-turbo-930-forum/225373-good-day-for-a-shine.html

Good luck on your search. Take your time and know what you are getting into. Don't buy someone else's problems. These can be very enjoyable cars or a money pit nightmare.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:51 PM
unklekraker
Racer

hey, John...i got some of your pictures as my desktop back ground and screensavers at both of my computers at work and home....that's the picture that my wife caught me drooling the other morning...hehehehehehe! i'm so freaking jealous of your car, dude! i'm starting to pull away from my dream car...seems like the budget i needed just keep on getting higher. don't want to buy one and 2 or 3 years down the road, i might end up selling it and like what you said, they don't drive like boxster and newer 911. i need to wake up and admit the fact that probably this car is not for me "right now" maybe in the near future my heart is bleeding as i type this i have a friend who work as a Service Manager of the Porsche dealer near my house and he is the one who's helping me check out the car everytime i see one, kinda like a car advisor

but anyway's thanks for all you guy's advice and straight to the point facts about it. it's very rare for any car owner to say that they have a downside to their car and proudly saying it coz' it's worth it!!!!!

keep it up guy's....i think i might sleep early tonight
Old 09-03-2006, 06:59 PM
WERK-I
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One other point....
If you find your factory slantnose of your dreams, get the car appraised and insure for appraised/agreed value. The prices for parts on these cars are outrageous.

Quick Reply: thinking about 88' or 89' 930 Slant nose