Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Steve Wong chip install

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 08:32 PM
hokiefan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steve Wong chip install

Steve's instuctions mention no need to remove the drivers seat when removing the control unit, can this be done withour taking out the seat...it looks tough to get at the 10mm nuts although I have not yet tried, anyone been through this? Any other install issues,suggestions before I get into this one?
Old 11-18-2003, 08:53 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

It is a snap to remove seats. I still factory mounting, there are six bolts, 2 at the rear on each side and 1 at front per side, then just unplug seat power lead(s) and pull it out. It is a lot easier to pull the seat, than to try to keep reaching up under it to do the work. With it out, you you can then easily do the work there.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:44 PM
Steve W
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts

Hi JR, I would not remove the seat. It should take no more than 5 minutes to remove the DME. First, take out your driver's side floor mat. Slide your seat all the way back. If you have an electric seat, raise it up as much as possible. Using a ratchet wrench, and a long 10mm socket (appx 2" long), loosen and remove the four nuts securing the DME. You may also have to loosen the black DME relay alongside the DME to clear access to two of the nuts.

Lift out and unclip from the DME harness and you're done.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:00 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

yep, don't have to remove the seat... long socket is the key
Old 11-19-2003, 08:07 PM
hokiefan
Intermediate

Right on, thanks for the help. Did not take the seat out and finished install in about 20 minues. About to take a test drive, I do know it starts up at least.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:25 PM
Tongel
Intermediate

Hi JR,

I have an '88 Diamond Metallic Blue Anniversary Model 3.2 Carrera and am also having a crisis as to how to get more more power from my car. You may have read some recent exchages in this forum. I also went into the website for the Steve Wong chip and it looks very promising. Please let me know how it performed. Thanks.

Tongel
Old 11-19-2003, 11:03 PM
CrossT
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I removed my seat the first time I had the DME out [but only because I wanted to clean underneath the seat]. You definitely don't have to and I haven't any time since. If you do decide to remove, the sequence of bolt removal is key to not getting too frustrated. At least on mine, I removed the fronts first. Then I was able to slide to seat forwar enough to clearly be able to access the rear bolts. Yours probably has all-way power seats, so there may be a difference.

todd
86 cpe
Old 11-20-2003, 08:15 AM
hokiefan
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice on seat removal Todd.

Tongel:
As for the chip so far I took only a short test drive and never took it over 60 MPH. I can say I notice the idle and acceleration seem smoother. A faster response to short and quick acceleration is noticeable.

My car is stock all the way right now and therefor the chip is for the stock 87-89 3.2. I plan to get it on the highway today so I may have more to report. So far I am pleased.

I believe Steve's price for the chip goes up by $50 as of Dec 1, so if you've been thinking about it....
Old 11-20-2003, 10:35 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Tongel, I too have an '88 Diamond Blue Metallic coupe (...by the way, they are actually called "Commemorative Editions"...the Anniversary Editions were '89s and silver). I've had one of Steve's chips for a while (along with a premuffler and sport muffler). The chip will definitely give you some performance gains (particularly at the lower rpms), and you will notice a difference (...butt dyno), but it will not be a dramatic increase. I highly recommend Steve's chip, but it's not a 'night & day' difference, so don't expect TOO much from it (or any chip)...Keith

ps. If you're 'new' to your car, and aren't used to it yet, the 'power band' for the Carrera's is between 4000 rpms & redline...if you're not keeping her in that range, then you're missing what she already has to offer!
Old 11-20-2003, 07:17 PM
hokiefan
Intermediate

KC 911,
Old 11-20-2003, 07:19 PM
hokiefan
Intermediate

OOps,
too fast on the draw...... Anyway I agree with your assessment so far. Still have to get more seat time but I do notice a difference and like what I'm feeling!!
Old 11-20-2003, 07:33 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by hokiefan
KC 911,
Well, JR, I can't disagree with that !

ps: Is yours a Com. Edition too? Just curious if they produced '88s in Diamond Blue that weren't.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:58 AM
hokiefan
Intermediate

Must be, mine is diamond blue with a burgundy interior... but not a com. edition.

Quick Reply: Steve Wong chip install