Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How mad would you be? .. recent purchase experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 01:36 PM
Antny930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the only seal is this one: https://www.partsklassik.com/Porsche...zcsRoCr5bw_wcB
Old 01-05-2017, 01:38 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the diagram... what seal are you talking about?

Are you talking about the O-ring BEHIND the main seal? I have never heard of that needing replacement... as the main seal is what prevents the leaks...

two thoughts...

get a second opinion...

And no, suing the original shop wont get you anywhere. Almost every PPI form will say your damages are limited to cost of the PPI... you did sign a form, no?
Old 01-05-2017, 01:43 PM
Cbwell
Pro

The 10K includes the rebuild so definitely more than just a reseal so it sounds like its on par with what you paid.

I think it may technically be called the bearing sleeve which has an o-ring mid-sleeve. The only way to get to it is to split the cases. My terminology may be off- I'm not a mechanic but he did show me both parts on an engine that he had torn apart. He's an old time Porsche guy, been working on air cooled for 30+ years and very honest and reputable. It is was easily removed and replaced I feel like he'd give me that option. Somebody else probably would have done that as well vs. trying to JB Weld it.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:45 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,153 Likes on 826 Posts

i think i know what he is talking about . it is not the main seal behind the pulley.

i bet it is the number 8 nose bearing.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:46 PM
bpu699

oops...

http://dcautocatalog.com/illustration/index/429839892
Old 01-05-2017, 01:48 PM
bpu699

Originally Posted by theiceman
i think i know what he is talking about . it is not the main seal behind the pulley.

i bet it is the number 8 nose bearing.
How in the world would a mechanic be able to see that without removing the motor? The oring is behind the pulley, behind the main seal, and not even visible...

perplexed...
Old 01-05-2017, 01:48 PM
Cbwell
Pro

I think it's part '24'. It's leaking from there and there is an o-ring mid sleeve that is the culprit per this diagnosis.

He can't get me in for 2-3 weeks so I plan on getting a 2nd opinion in the meantime.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:59 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,153 Likes on 826 Posts

yup .. as soon as you said need to split the case to fix i thought it was that . That is the number 8 nose bearing and is a complete bear if it leaks. It's the point of great discussion and apprehension on the pelican engine rebuild forum .

When i redid my top end i did not split the case because this was NOT leaking and i did not want to F with it .
Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2017, 02:05 PM
Cbwell
Pro

that's the piece!
Old 01-05-2017, 02:05 PM
Antny930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the engine in the car, how does someone tell if that o-ring is causing an oil leak?
Old 01-05-2017, 02:09 PM
Cbwell
Pro

From what I understand, if the oil is leaking from that spot then that is the main, or only, culprit.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:27 PM
scottrx7tt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont believe there is any O ring behind the pulley?? The only thing keeping the oil from pouring out around the crankshaft is the Crankshaft seal. Its not that bad of a job to replace that, just did it on my car when i was doing some other things. Is it leaking only while running, or is it leaking while sitting? Just does not make sense. Did you have your mechanic do a leakdown test?? Compression test?? If there are no broken studs, and it runs good, i would just drive it. Its an old car, its not gonna be perfect.
I dont believe you have any recourse with the shop that performend the PPI, things are gonna get missed. Air cooled Porsches leak oil, and its hard to tell where its coming from without taking a lot of other stuff out. If it were me, i would have atleast had the shop do a compression test, or done it myself. If you can change spark plugs, you can perform a compression test. I guess i would have been a little upset if i bought this car sight unseen, but you saw it, drove it, approved of it. If there is a little orange peel, you dont need to completely repaint the panel. You would be surprised what you can do with a little wet sanding and buff can do to smooth out that orange peel. Also, you never said what you paid for the car. If you paid on the low end of the market, you should know that you would have to do something after taking ownership, not saying you did, but thats just the way it goes sometimes.

Originally Posted by bpu699
What exactly is an "o-ring behind the main pulley." The main seal for the crankshaft is easily removed and replaced, I believe, without rebuilding the motor...
Old 01-05-2017, 06:38 PM
Cbwell
Pro

If you look at the picture above you can see the o-ring. It's a split case job. It leaks oil while running and sitting. It's not just a 'leak'. It's leaking at the rate of 1 drop per 4 seconds. Extrapolate that and you get a 'stream' of oil flowing. I guess some people would drive it like this and carry around a quart of oil but it's far too excessive IMO.

It is what it is at this point. The mechanic actually refunded the PPI fee as a good faith gesture- he felt bad that he misdiagnosed it.

Without a doubt, I am to blame for a lot of what i didn't insist on with the PPI. Lessons learned the hard way....
Old 01-05-2017, 06:46 PM
scottrx7tt
Advanced

ahh, ok, i misunderstood, #8 nose bearing o ring. Been doing some research, and Supertec sells a kit that fixes this without splitting the case. Check out this thread on Pelican parts.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...eak-fix-2.html
Originally Posted by Cbwell
If you look at the picture above you can see the o-ring. It's a split case job. It leaks oil while running and sitting. It's not just a 'leak'. It's leaking at the rate of 1 drop per 4 seconds. Extrapolate that and you get a 'stream' of oil flowing. I guess some people would drive it like this and carry around a quart of oil but it's far too excessive IMO.

It is what it is at this point. The mechanic actually refunded the PPI fee as a good faith gesture- he felt bad that he misdiagnosed it.

Without a doubt, I am to blame for a lot of what i didn't insist on with the PPI. Lessons learned the hard way....
Old 01-05-2017, 06:50 PM
scottrx7tt
Advanced

Mobileworks west also sells a sleeve kit. $129 Here is a video. worth a try i guess.
http://www.mobileworkswest.com/customer-videos2.html

Quick Reply: How mad would you be? .. recent purchase experience