Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How mad would you be? .. recent purchase experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 07:24 PM
Cbwell
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car was leaking 4 drops per second (as per measured by my 35 yr+ Porsche mechanic. The puddle after sitting a day was huge. It was running VR1. It already had evidence of JB Weld, or similar, on the bearing front where somebody had tried to patch it in the past. By no means do I expect an old air cooled to not have some leaks but this was more of a stream.

My mechanic is now into it- cylinders needed re-plated, broken piston rings, etc. It needed a rebuild.

And you're correct- it's not going to be 10k. I'm at 15K and it shouldn't move much.

I don't think too many guys around here would be okay adding 1/2 qt every few days but if that is the general consensus then maybe you are right- I don't have the right temperament.

Last edited by Cbwell; 03-21-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:38 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

We keep seeing this all over Rennlist. Buyers that think they are buying perfect cars and seller that wash their hands the moment the car drives away.

Buyers: You are buying toys. Used toys. Discarded, old, thrashed on toys. Nothing more. Expect them to cost you far more than the sticker price. Remember that first Coke you drank? Cost you what, maybe $0.75 to drink it. You spent a few more bunks on it since then, haven't you.

Dealers: You will likely all rot in hell for the **** you have pulled on unsuspecting buyers. Criminals, all of you.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:40 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbwell
The car was leaking 4 drops a second (as per measured by my 35 yr+ Porsche mechanic. The puddle after sitting a day was huge. It was running VR1. It already had evidence of JB Weld, or similar, on the bearing front where somebody had tried to patch it in the past. By no means do I expect an old air cooled to not have some leaks but this was more of a stream.

My mechanic is now into it- cylinders needed re-plated, broken piston rings, etc. It needed a rebuild.

And you're correct- it's not going to be 10k. I'm at 15K and it shouldn't move much.

I don't think too many guys around here would be okay adding 1/2 qt every few days but if that is the general consensus then maybe you are right- I don't have the right temperament.
it depends where the oil is going... the owners manual allows for an insane amount of oil consumption... I had a 911SC that needed the heads done, and used oil at the allowable limit, but it didn't smoke and it ran great. I had the car for a few years, and passed it on honestly to another guy, who also didn't have to build the engine before he sold it. You missed an opportunity to sus out the health of the rest of the car, and the fuel system of its been sitting a lot (the rings didn't Crack themselves).... hopefully it doesn't go back together and end up needing a turbo or have some lean condition that damaged the rings. With any luck it will be fine and you can actually start to enjoy it.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:46 PM
Cbwell
Pro

The oil is going on the floor- it's not a consumption issue. The car will be completely gone over before releasing it back into the wild so we hope to catch any gotchas while it's still at the shop. I'm going to enjoy it and drive the hell out of it and I'll have the piece of mind knowing that the engine is fresh. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:01 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The oil is going on the floor- it's not a consumption issue. The car will be completely gone over before releasing it back into the wild so we hope to catch any gotchas while it's still at the shop. I'm going to enjoy it and drive the hell out of it and I'll have the piece of mind knowing that the engine is fresh. I'm looking forward to it.
I wish we could compile a list of dealers and shops to stay away from. I'd have European Collectables at the top, just above Motor Meister Redux.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:22 PM
Cbwell
Pro

That's a great idea. We had that over on multiple GT3 forums. It's a good and bad list so we can give props to those good dealers, as well. Worst case, it will let everybody know who they need to pay more attention to.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:18 AM
cool whip
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My convertible top broke the day I got home. The dealer did not want to help me what so ever. I agree with Amber Gramps in that these cars are old toys. These dealers have no idea what the difference is between one in good condition and one that needs parts or maintenance. The dealer is all about the money. As long as the paint shines, it's for sale. It is up to us, the buyers, to do our best to avoid any pitfalls.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:24 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
I don't mean this to be a personal attack, but I kind of think you should just dump the car. I suspect that you don't have the right temperment for this game. It's always going to leak something, or need some kind of attention, and if you can't enjoy the car that way, you'll never have fun with it. Something newer might be more enjoyable.
Good luck
The car had issues. Hack repairs were in evidence.
Leaking 4 drops a second is not normal, and is a far cry from a slow window or annoying rattle.
Cbwell stepped up and paid big dollars to have the car fixed right, once and for all.
Cbwell is exactly the kind of person who should steward a rare vintage collectible car.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:59 PM
cool whip
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sugarwood
Leaking 4 drops a second is not normal, and is a far cry from a slow window or annoying rattle.
Cbwell stepped up and paid big dollars to have the car fixed right, once and for all.
Cbwell is exactly the kind of person who should steward a rare vintage collectible car.

I agree! I thinks that's why a lot of buyers prefer purchasing from a private owner. A lot of these dealers have no business selling old Porsches.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:17 PM
Cbwell
Pro

Thanks, Sugarwood. At the end of the day I want to be able to stand behind whatever I sell and there is a reason why I'm still in contact with all the buyers of my cars. In a good way- not them comajjing about the junk I sold them ;-).

Cool whip- I totally agree. I have had good experiences with all of my previous p-cars which were all purchased from private sellers other than the new GT3 but that was a great experience with a dealer.

In the end it will be something I'd be confident to stand behind. I'm even doing the sound deadening pad, fixinh shoddy wiring, etc. the re-plated cylinders show up next week so maybe the end is in sight.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:02 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 194 Posts

You misunderstood.... I'm sure the car is much better off having him for an owner. But as far as owner satisfaction and enjoyment, these cars won't be fun if every reaction to signs of trouble is a knee jerk. I'm simply suggesting that something newer might be more enjoyable. If it's not fun, then why do it? And if it has to be 100.0% perfect to be fun, then a 930 is probably going to be a handful.

Originally Posted by sugarwood
Old 03-24-2017, 12:14 PM
Cbwell
Pro

I love the 930, it's just what I was looking for. I love the raw analog nature of it. I'm also a firm believer if something is wrong with any of my cars I am going to fix it and I'm going to fix it right. I would say I have a good enough temperament for a 930, hell-I have a race car which has already broken me in. I guess if having a knee-jerk reaction to leaving puddles of oil everywhere I go is to get that problem fixed then I am guilty as charged. Personally, I love to buy cars from people like me because I know what I'm getting into and there are certainly plenty of us in this community. I'm not sure where you are getting that I am expecting this car to be 100% perfect or I'm not going to enjoy it. That's certainly not the case- it's not a concourse car with 1k miles on it. You did read that it was dripping at the rate of 4 drops per second, right? Do the math on that issue which you seem to think is 'normal'.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:21 PM
bpu699

I love the 930, it's just what I was looking for. I love the raw analog nature of it. I'm also a firm believer if something is wrong with any of my cars I am going to fix it and I'm going to fix it right. I would say I have a good enough temperament for a 930, hell-I have a race car which has already broken me in. I guess if having a knee-jerk reaction to leaving puddles of oil everywhere I go is to get that problem fixed then I am guilty as charged. Personally, I love to buy cars from people like me because I know what I'm getting into and there are certainly plenty of us in this community. I'm not sure where you are getting that I am expecting this car to be 100% perfect or I'm not going to enjoy it. That's certainly not the case- it's not a concourse car with 1k miles on it. You did read that it was dripping at the rate of 4 drops per second, right? Do the math on that issue which you seem to think is 'normal'.
Being pragmatic and all...

Couldn't you put some kind of catch can under the leak, attached to the car, to catch the oil?

Not a permanent fix I know. But would allow you to drive the car and enjoy it for a while...

If you got really creative you could have the catch can drain into the turbo overflow tank and get shot back into the motor with the scavenge pump...

Wacky? Sure... But thinking outside the box...
Old 03-24-2017, 12:23 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,144 Likes on 818 Posts

definitely I think you got duped ... this was not a car that needed a few things . This was a car that needed major engine work to resolve an issue. number 8 bearing is pretty major work to fix , and someone new it and tried to seal it and move the car.

Good on you for fixing it right .. of course its a 911 and it will still leak a few drops even after its fixed, but im sure you will have a smile ear to ear once you are out cruising.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:42 PM
Cbwell
Pro

Bpu699- I think you're on to something. But I think it would be easier to just strap a 5 qt jug to my tail with a drip hose into my fill tube.

I'm a believer of duct tape and bubble gum repairs but if all I'm doing is putting a band aid on it for me to deal with later or for the next guy- I'd rather just deal with it.

Quick Reply: How mad would you be? .. recent purchase experience