Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How mad would you be? .. recent purchase experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 07:36 PM
Cbwell
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How mad would you be? .. recent purchase experience

I wanted to hear from the collective brain trust on how irritated they'd be if they were in my position with a recent purchase. Sorry- I know it's lengthy, I'm venting. And I know, it's buyer beware and I'm at fault for much of this.

I had posted a WTB posting for a 930 Turbo. A dealer approached me (yet to be named) with one they had coming in. It was a '1-owner, original paint' example. They sent some pictures, etc. I decided it was worth checking out and I flew to FL to see it in person (I was also looking at another in FL so it was convenient).

I took it for a PPI at a well known shop (yet to be named). We got it on the lift and did a cursory overview and discovered a couple of oil leaks- a front seal and the valve covers, but nothing else major. We also took it for a test drive. Based on that, the mechanic advised me against doing a leak down test- said it was a waste of money, the car was strong.

I ended up buying the car although it was one of the least pleasant experiences I've had. I am usually a firm believer in 'buy the seller' but I made an exception this time. I liked the mods it had, it was a good driver and I liked the 1-owner and original paint aspect of the car.

I get it shipped and it arrives a couple of weeks later. I started going over it with a fine tooth comb- both the documentation and the car itself. Come to find out- it's not a 1-owner car, it's had at least two. I blew it off because the last owner had it since 1990. It was easy detective work- the original buyer's info was in the warranty book and it was different than the title. But then I find over-spray on the frunk seal hinting at a fender respray. I start to get very skeptical of everything I was told about 'original paint.

I order a paint meter and did some testing yesterday. The hood, right fender and deck lid have all definitely been painted. The right door reads significantly less than the driver door. The driver's door reads consistent with the rest of the car. So, i'm tempted to think that the passenger door is the only original paint area on the whole car.

I won't even go into the fact that I found some leak down numbers written on one of the receipts (there were very few that came with the car so not hard to find if somebody went through them). The numbers were not good- ranged from 10-15% on 5 cylinders but cylinder 6 was 30%. This was less than 10K miles ago so I doubt a rebuild happened between then and now and wasn't documented. I would have walked away in a heartbeat if I saw those numbers during the PPI. I kick myself for being talked out of it. They were going to charge me $900 just to do the test. I'm not so sure the dealer isn't in cahoots with them- the conspiracy theory side of me thinks it's completely plausible.

I was also told there were 10K in receipts for a 'reseal and clutch'. There were 7,700 worth and it was a clutch and some service work and tires.

There has been plenty of other frustrating details about the transaction that I won't even go into at this point. Needless to say, I would never do business with this dealer again and I would warn anybody away from them.

So, how irritated would you be if you found out the 1-owner, original paint car is actually neither of those things?

As a side note- does anybody have any idea what the paint measurements should be for an '86 930? Most of the car is in the low 6 range but the right door is 3.5 while the left is 6.x.

The car is now in the shop as it wouldn't start for me and I'm getting the oil leak looked at. I have a whopping 100 miles on it. I'm committed to getting her all sorted at this point though because she's a blast to drive.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:44 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Id be pissed. But at myself for going against my own good judgement and deal.
I just assume all these old cars are painted, all dealers want to sell their stuff and will skirt details to do so
That makes it easier on my mentally
Hardest part is walking away.
But seems the car grabbed you, so, you're in :-) And well, move on!
And enjoy it!
Old 01-03-2017, 07:52 PM
Cbwell
Pro

I hear ya- I need to chalk it up as yet another car related learning experience. My checkbook is tired of me learning.... or not learning....

I've been used to a very high level of integrity in all of my other Porsche transactions so this one really rubbed me the wrong way.

Now I'm just hoping the shop repair bill doesn't send me into shock.....
Old 01-03-2017, 07:53 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

Yeah i agree with above. I would never believe a car had not had paintwork by now. I would expect it and not make a decision based on that. I also really don't care how many owners.

The real failing was the ppi

You should have researched a good independent. The dealer is the last place I would go with air cooled. Especially a turbo

Bottom line is used car salesmen only lie when there lips are moving.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:55 PM
Cbwell
Pro

Sorry, I may not have been very clear. The PPI was done at an independent but I'm not so sure they aren't in cahoots with the dealer. They are known for their Porsche experience.

ha- totally agree on your bottom line
Old 01-03-2017, 07:58 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like you really like the car though. That's what matters IMO.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:15 PM
Keith Guidus
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Default HEART or HEAD

You liked the car!
Everything you did after the car was delivered should have been done in Florida as you know now.
Hopefully the car brings you enjoyment with minimal financial pain.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:17 PM
Cbwell
Pro

Yep, time to drive it like I stole it......as soon as it runs again.... lessons learned.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:08 PM
bv shady
Racer

No Compression or leak down during PPI on a 30 YO car offered by a dealer? Self inflicted, sorry.....
Old 01-03-2017, 10:24 PM
Cbwell
Pro

yep, I know- big source of my frustration. Still confounded by why a mechanic would talk me out of it.... and why I listened. Sucker born every minute.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:27 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

Wow it was not a very good ppi if he didn't even use a paint meter. Part of any thorough ppi.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:52 PM
Cbwell
Pro

It's odd that a paint meter has actually never been part of any PPI I've ever gotten. They are cheap so I'm not sure why the shops, and dealer for that matter, don't have one. Now I'm armed with one and will use it every time.

The PPI sucked. My mechanic today picked up on several things at a glance that should have been picked up during the PPI.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:55 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I've never metered a car. if my eye can't tell i don't care :-)
And if it can, ok fine, if it looks good then ok.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:22 AM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 54 Posts

Sorry to hear this, Don't beat yourself up - for those of us who are honest, most of us stubbed our toe a time or two on a car purchase. I did last year - but have gotten a little less perturbed at myself for not doing what I know I should have done before the purchase ,.... I do enjoy the car - hopefully you will as well. 89 930's are great cars!!

Dealers are there to sell cars and we want to think they are honest and knowledgeable but very few are especially when it comes to air-cooled cars.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:22 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

If any mechanic told me that leaking down motor was waste of $$ because it ran so well would have me shopping for another shop for a PPI. Dealerships rely on folks making these decisions with there hearts not there brains- you're not the first, enjoy car.
Phil

Quick Reply: How mad would you be? .. recent purchase experience