Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Home Built Hot Rod (With full build videos)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 01:37 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks fantastic! I didn't mind the lighter carpet... until you installed the black. It transforms the interior - good call.

Re: Suspension - that makes sense. It's a slippery slope and the stock suspension is pretty great for most driving (I'm still on stock suspension and track mine regularly). It amazes me what these old cars are capable of!
Old 03-14-2017, 08:17 PM
MFX233
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Looks fantastic! I didn't mind the lighter carpet... until you installed the black. It transforms the interior - good call.

Re: Suspension - that makes sense. It's a slippery slope and the stock suspension is pretty great for most driving (I'm still on stock suspension and track mine regularly). It amazes me what these old cars are capable of!
That is exactly what I am thinking. I think I will do some suspension mods, but I have never driven my car. I bought it as a basket case and I have been building it ever since. I have been lucky enough to have a few guys let me take their 911's for a drive, but a quick drive in someone else's car doesn't really give me enough time to really get a feel for it. I need to really get to learn my car and then when I do suspension mods, I will be able to feel the effects.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:05 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Smart. You'll appreciate the mods that much more having "known" the stock setup!

Great work on the youtube channel. Your videos are among the few that I watch beginning to end without getting tired of them. You do a great job of filming/describing what you're doing and blending it with the stop-motion/fast-forwarded process.

So excited for "episode x - first drive!"
Old 03-15-2017, 02:39 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 301 Likes on 206 Posts

Do not go with a stock suspension. It is a happy medium and 30 + year old technology.
Put a complete package together with someone like Steve Weiner and never look back.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:02 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MFX233
That is exactly what I am thinking. I think I will do some suspension mods, but I have never driven my car. I bought it as a basket case and I have been building it ever since. I have been lucky enough to have a few guys let me take their 911's for a drive, but a quick drive in someone else's car doesn't really give me enough time to really get a feel for it. I need to really get to learn my car and then when I do suspension mods, I will be able to feel the effects.
Suspension is a crazy interconnecting web of cause and effect with so many variables it is difficult to know the correct or least expensive path.

Shocks that work with stock torsion bars won't work at all with stiffer bars.....then one guy will quote you $800 and two months wait for a set of bars that another guy has on the shelf for $350. I've been there.

My budget was low and my path was slow so along the way a few items got cast aside after just a few thousand miles. Now, several years in, I've got re-valved this and custom made that and the ride quality is well beyond my wildest dreams.

Fortunately you have the skills to build and re-build your suspension at will and to tune it to your liking. I've set my front toe six times in as many days looking for that sweet spot that is right for me. You will have no problem doing the same all along your way.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:44 PM
MFX233
Racer

Thanks guys. I honestly have no idea and I have done very little research on the subject to date (I have been keeping myself busy with other things though ).
I actually drove a mates 87 Targa last week and for me it was a bit too stiff for the roads around here. I want what we all want I suppose. A car that is super comfortable on the bumpy stuff and grips like a dream in the corners, but it is never that easy
Old 03-15-2017, 07:38 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Would sure be nice if there was a chart that showed car weight, bar stiffness, use, driver pain tolerance, and the like. We could go to it to make educated decisions about set up.

My car just under 2600 pounds, has 21/29 equivalent bars , is for "spirited street" use, low pain tolerance.

Now you need 20 other guys to give you similar info.

You can then use that info to "guess" where you want to go with yours if you know what it weighs, what you want to do with it and how much pain you can tolerate.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:11 AM
MFX233
Racer

There is definitely a lot of info out there, but it is hard to go off of what others have said without actually feeling it for yourself. One persons comfy is anothers unbearable

Anyway, this week I have been trying to get the door glass into to car. I have had a couple of set backs, but there is at least some more shiny stuff on the car.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:38 AM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 911 Love

Old 03-24-2017, 07:53 PM
MFX233
Racer

This week I fit the new rubbers to the rear quarter windows and I get into fixing up the trimming on the passenger seat.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:03 PM
j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Hi Jeff,
I love your series. You do absolutely fantastic work.
You might want to research tasks to do while the engine is out of your car. Others may help, but some that come to mind are:
Reinforce rear shock mounts for possible future coil over shocks,
Replace the in tunnel fuel lines
Good luck,
Dave
Old 03-25-2017, 06:42 PM
MFX233
Racer

Originally Posted by j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net
Hi Jeff,
I love your series. You do absolutely fantastic work.
You might want to research tasks to do while the engine is out of your car. Others may help, but some that come to mind are:
Reinforce rear shock mounts for possible future coil over shocks,
Replace the in tunnel fuel lines
Good luck,
Dave
Thanks Dave,

I reinforced the rear shock mounts before I painted the car, but I will be replacing the fuel lines, etc, before the engine goes back in. I also have brakes and a bunch of other bits and pieces to go. I will finish it, but there is still a way to go yet
Old 03-25-2017, 09:04 PM
j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

That's great Jeff. I probably saw the rear shocks and forgot about it. Please keep up the great work.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-31-2017, 07:04 AM
MFX233
Racer

This week I get the windows to wind up and down smoothly. I also strip off the anodising from the window frames, polish them up and then try out a product to protect them from oxidising.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:05 PM
MFX233
Racer

This week I struggle with installing the front and rear windows. I get the rear sorted, but I have to have a break from the front as it popped back out a couple of times. I have a plan to get it to pop in the way it needs to which I will try this week end.

Quick Reply: Home Built Hot Rod (With full build videos)