Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'68 911 with LWB, RSR flares, and SC suspension: What's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 11:04 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default '68 911 with LWB, RSR flares, and SC suspension: What's it worth?

Hello all, I wanted to post up some pics and info on my new beauty... it's a shell/roller that the PO spent a lot of time and money on, and then never finished it. It's been in storage for about 10 years in this state. PO is a true Porsche craftsman who builds monocoque race cars from scratch. I can't give more detail than that, but basically his work is nop notch.

I actually really love what he did, although it's probably not for the 911 purist. He started with a '68 911L with a 2.0, used a jig to extend the wheelbase, media blasted all steel repaired all rust, I believe replaced the floor pan, welded in aftermarket steel RSR flares front and rear, seam welded everywhere, primered with aircraft primer and then sealed the whole body. So, no rust anywhere! He then acquired a wrecked SC and put the aluminum suspension and wire harness from it in the '68. It also came with all the glass and chrome trim pieces, a couple boxes of interior pieces, original '68 head and tail lights, and aftermarket fiberglass RSR front and rear bumpers.

His plan was to put the SC 3.0 engine and either a 915 or G50 transaxle in it, a couple race seats and RS door panels, some fresh paint, and it would be a street legal track car. I'm pretty much a fan of that, but I already have a great track car (951 w/ v8 swap). Don't worry; I will not swap a v8 into this one.

So, being new to the 911 world, it would really help me to formulate a plan if I could get an educated estimate of the value of the car as it sits, and what the value might be if I finish it off into an RSR look with an SC 3.0 engine and suspension, and maybe an RS style interior. I'm trying to figure out how much money I can put into it without going upside down... would really like to pull off the impossible scenario of having a car that's worth more that I put into it. I can tell you I acquired it for a very reasonable amount (actually a trade), so I think I'm on the right track so far.

Thanks in advance guys... here are some pics. Try to look past the little 944 cookie cutters.
Attached Images         
Old 12-28-2013, 11:28 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks right so far. you could be in it another $20-30K to go full tilt RSR. Personally I would go toward a nice lightweight R reproduction. Love this stage of a build.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:33 AM
gt3racerich
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

They don't look like RSR flairs to me. More like Turbo flairs.
Rich
Old 12-28-2013, 11:51 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt3racerich
They don't look like RSR flairs to me. More like Turbo flairs.
Rich
Ok, perhaps... he said they were RSR, and he has a 930 as well. He actually pointed out the differences between the RSR and 930 flares (one was more rounded, other was more squared off).
Old 12-28-2013, 11:57 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Looks right so far. you could be in it another $20-30K to go full tilt RSR. Personally I would go toward a nice lightweight R reproduction. Love this stage of a build.
Thanks. The full tilt RSR would be awesome, and with deeper pockets I probably would. But, I don't want to go in that deep... I was thinking more like $10-$15k from where it is to get it on the road. I'll look into what an "R" is.

So, what do you think it's worth as it sits? And what would it be worth as an "R" reproduction, if done well?
Old 12-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

No idea on either count but looks like a great start point with the body work done.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:25 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reiver
No idea on either count but looks like a great start point with the body work done.
No doubt there. I'm very fortunate to have stumbled onto it.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:38 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amber lamps
So what I found about the R lightweight cars sounds interesting. Certainly sounds like I could save a lot of $ on interior trim by going that route! Sounds like a good way to start to get it on the road and see if I want to keep it long term.

What do you guys think about the 915 trans with a 3.0 SC motor? Is it really difficult to get the 915 to shift smoothly, or is it not that big of a deal? I just don't know if a G50 will fit in my budget. I don't plan on racing this, just looking to build a fun street car that is track capable.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't sweat the 915 trans.

The cool thing about going R is that there are only a few mandatory visuals. It's gotta have the R tail lights (see my avatar) (PM me for details), it's gotta have the rear deck hinges ($100ish at TRE), and it should have a through the hood filler cap (fab'd for far less than TRE is asking ), and does not need crazy wide tires and perfect interiors.

http://www.tremotorsports.com/

http://www.excellence-mag.com/issues...e#.Ur82nfRDuMY

https://www.google.com/search?q=911R...6%3B1000%3B665
Old 12-28-2013, 09:45 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

If you saw what original '68 911L coupes are going for in original condition you'd likely go find the guy you bought this car from and give him a swift kick!
That being said the quality of his work appears nice from my perspective so welcome to the fold .
Your decision now is are you going to keep this direction or go back with something more
in vogue err narrow.
The value now is likely about what you paid zilch or less although good rust free rollers are
Becoming harder and harder to find most have eighties updates like yours.
Without the flairs they seem to be reaching 5-7500 ..lots or R wannabes and revinned
911 coupes I guess , I' m vaguely looking for one myself, haha Bert
Old 12-29-2013, 12:21 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

As nice as his work may be, the value of the roller is minimal, if for no other reason than he stretched it. I'd never consider a 911 of any sort that had the body length altered. I think I'd have a LOT of company in that thought, so your resale market is severely limited, if that is your concern on value.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:52 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
As nice as his work may be, the value of the roller is minimal, if for no other reason than he stretched it. I'd never consider a 911 of any sort that had the body length altered. I think I'd have a LOT of company in that thought, so your resale market is severely limited, if that is your concern on value.
I see... Well I guess that takes pressure off me. i don't have to worry about doing anything "wrong" that may hurt the value! I'll be careful with how much I spend so as not to go too far upside down.

Thanks for your honest appraisals, guys.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:14 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Yes, you probably have the perfect long hood project, in that aspect!
Old 12-29-2013, 12:59 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

IMHO given that the car will never be original, it's highest value is likely to be someone who wants a quality DE/DD car. Similar to what it sounds like you were looking for. I think for a well turned out and sorted car there is a good market. I know several folks that have current GT3's and RS's who are looking. To get the car that draws real interest the right track oriented setup is important. It won't be cheap, but you and the next owner can really enjoy it. Think Singer on a budget.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:46 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Texas RS
IMHO given that the car will never be original, it's highest value is likely to be someone who wants a quality DE/DD car. Similar to what it sounds like you were looking for. I think for a well turned out and sorted car there is a good market. I know several folks that have current GT3's and RS's who are looking. To get the car that draws real interest the right track oriented setup is important. It won't be cheap, but you and the next owner can really enjoy it. Think Singer on a budget.
I can see that. So what does a well sorted and nice looking long hood 3.0 engine 915 trans DE car typically sell for? I would think $20-$30k, but I'm sure you guys know better. Not that I'm looking to flip it, but like I said I'm trying to formulate a plan that doesn't put me too upside down when it's done.

Quick Reply: '68 911 with LWB, RSR flares, and SC suspension: What's it worth?