Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New 3.2 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 04:47 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

My car weighed in at 2890 lbs last year ... that's with total AC delete,six point roll cage,Sparco seats,996TT brakes all around,Fabspeed headers,the complete suspension package from Tarett,Sanders,ER ... 23/31 torsion bars,Tarett adjustable sway bars,camber plate ... etc ... and a set of 17 inch Fikse wheels with "R" compounds !

My car needs to go on a diet and fiberglass bumpers are on the menu for the near future.
Don't waste your money on 16 inch wheels as the tire choice is rather minimal these days ...

Cheers !
Phil
Old 03-03-2013, 04:53 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I was 2650 in the Targa, 1/2 tank, without me, but it did have a heavy rollbar.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:14 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Spec 911 runs at 2400, all in. (2550 with max trophy weight, which guys like Tom Van Overbeck regularly run. And he still sets lap records with that weight, go figure.) My friend's car is all steel, save bumper caps/decklid, and has air jacks. He still runs ballast, even with a G50 popped in there for this season. Neat laser cut ballast for the passenger floorboard Gamroth does.

So, you can run a full steel car on the lap record, and (gasp) on those "obsolete" 16" RA1s. I have no idea where the OP is, speed-wise, but you don't have to over-sophisticate yourself to have a fast car, say sub-1:50 @ Sears.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:35 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Spec 911 runs at 2400, all in. (2550 with max trophy weight, which guys like Tom Van Overbeck regularly run. And he still sets lap records with that weight, go figure.) My friend's car is all steel, save bumper caps/decklid, and has air jacks. He still runs ballast, even with a G50 popped in there for this season. Neat laser cut ballast for the passenger floorboard Gamroth does.

So, you can run a full steel car on the lap record, and (gasp) on those "obsolete" 16" RA1s. I have no idea where the OP is, speed-wise, but you don't have to over-sophisticate yourself to have a fast car, say sub-1:50 @ Sears.
I am not looking to race this car - been there, done that. I just want something that is capable at DEs when I go out and instruct and drive the track myself occasaionally. Since you asked, I was pretty good in Stock E in my '81 Euro. My last race at Watkins Glen, before I hung-up my helmet, I qualified 1st and won both sprint races with another 35+ cars in class. Point is, I know how to drive and have driven a full-on race car for 8+ years. With this car I just want to build a car I can drive around town, take it for little jaunts in the mountains and also drive to the track for a DE, adjust pressures and then drive home. I still have my enclosed trailer but I don't want the hassle of loading/unloading, etc. I live in the city of Denver and store my trailer about 30 minutes away so it is just too much of a P.I.T.A. I like RA1s because they are very durable and I you can drive the hell out of them and they are fastest just before they chord. That being said, I have not been in the game for a few years, so if you have suggestions on a better tire for 50% street miles and 50% flogging at the track I am all ears.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:42 AM
aratapuss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely great post. Can't explain why, but reading about your purchase, just made me happy. Car looks good already, betting it will be great in a short while, and hoping to read updates as they occur.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:57 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Dropped the car at the shop to begin the mechanical repairs. Clutch appears to be strong so it must have been replaced once in its 118K miles of life. Today I ordered:
-Toyo RA-1s (225 and 245) going with 7" Fuchs in the front and keeping the 8's in the rear
-Rennline 3 Point Strut Tower Brace (black)
-Rennline adjustable track pedals (black with red wings)
-Rennline door sills (black)
-Sparco 325 racing steering wheel (suede) with hub adaptor
-Bilstein Sport Shocks

I plan to keep factory sways for now but will probably be going with 22 and 30mm torsion bars. I also also considering pulling all the interior carpet, back seats and door panels and replacing them with light weight RS style carpet and RS door panels. 6 point harnesses and possibly a roll bar. My inspiration is from last month's issue of Excellence where a Porsche Tech took a silver SC and stripped it down to a canyon carver. He left the car largely stock in appearance but lightened it up considerably. I am also considering Getty Iroc front and rear bumper covers (like the SC guy). This would allow me to put an oil cooler on the front and install a proper brake cooling system for the front brakes.

Lastly, I am looking at exhausts. The SC guy installed M&K mufflers. I have never heard of them before but I checked out their GT3 style muffler - think this may look really cool. Does anyone have any experience with M&K?
Attached Images     
Old 03-04-2013, 11:28 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Don't waste your money on 16 inch wheels as the tire choice is rather minimal these days ...
Phil
I plan to keep the 16's because if I decide to get more serious at the track I can mount up some Hoosier R6s to the Fuchs. When I raced I originally had custom 17" Fikse wheels. They looked great but they were not as fast at Fuchs. Ultimately, I went to 15 inch wheels with Hoosier 275/30 15s in the rear and my lap times dropped significantly. It is all about tire diameter and unsprung weight.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:13 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

M&K has a good rep.

What will you do to match the shocks to the springs? Out of the box, they don't.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:16 AM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes

What will you do to match the shocks to the springs? Out of the box, they don't.
What springs? I am just going with the Bilstein Sport shocks, not coilovers. My understanding is they are just a shorter version of the HD for lowered cars.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:21 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmporsche
What springs? I am just going with the Bilstein Sport shocks, not coilovers. My understanding is they are just a shorter version of the HD for lowered cars.
Huh? Your car has springs, they just look funny, and are called torsion bars. The shocks will be underdamped in comparison to the bars you mention.

But, you'll have nice door sills...
Old 03-05-2013, 01:04 AM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Huh? Your car has springs, they just look funny, and are called torsion bars. The shocks will be underdamped in comparison to the bars you mention.

But, you'll have nice door sills...
Okay, now I am tracking. What are you suggesting would be appropriate since I plan to use it 50% street/50% track?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:08 AM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

One more thing; the SC guy in Excellence kept his stock torsion bars and installed HD shocks. His car only weighs 2,100 lbs but I figured I would get my car down to 2,600 lbs with the mods I am planning. That being said, if I stiffen up the "springs" to 22 and 30mm with the sport shocks I guess I was thinking that would balance out. I am curious to learn your thoughts.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I suggested and pointed that out in my assessment above, I thought all was good until I revolved, and found out otherwise. You can contact Bilsten, or Jae, who has a great database on what works well, given a car's weight, setup and use.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:21 AM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

I suggested and pointed that out in my assessment above, I thought all was good until I revolved, and found out otherwise. You can contact Bilsten, or Jae, who has a great database on what works well, given a car's weight, setup and use.
Okay, not trying to be a Richard. I was just curious as to specifics behind your statement. I will call Jae and/or Bilstein today. I am not sure how much weight I will be pulling out but with both bumpers, stock carpet and stock seats, I am hoping for at least 200 lbs but will see.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:03 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Dropped some parts by the shop today and visited my 3.2. The car had some good company; a 997.2 GT3RS and a cup car. The box on the ground is full of parts for my car.....
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: New 3.2 Owner