Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Smog on '76 Euro Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 12:30 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I am obviously not the expert here, but I'm seeing '74's and some of the '75's with that but not the '76's. It is part of the warm up equipment.

Here's a '76 with it:

http://blog.eurocarrera.com/2011/07/...hiteblack.html
Old 12-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Do you know what CO & HC target numbers you need to pass??

JMHO, but I'd mine that data before proceeding here since it can be almost impossible to get an S-cammed engine to pass. BHDT many many times.

Knowing those value will help prevent becoming terminally frustrated and possibly ruining a good running engine. Out-of-state registration may be an option.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:17 PM
jaeger86
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would not take on face value what a DMV rep tells you as the next one could tell you something different. You might call G&K Automotive in Santa Ana who are registered importers and tell them what you are trying to do and they should be able to tell you exactly what you have to do. Their number is 714-545-9503, Curt
Old 12-19-2012, 05:38 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Do you know what CO & HC target numbers you need to pass??

JMHO, but I'd mine that data before proceeding here since it can be almost impossible to get an S-cammed engine to pass. BHDT many many times.

Knowing those value will help prevent becoming terminally frustrated and possibly ruining a good running engine. Out-of-state registration may be an option.
Sorry for the dumb question, but what is BHDT?
Thanks
Old 12-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Been there done that.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:26 PM
bcgreen
Pro

[QUOTE=Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems;10083981]Do you know what CO & HC target numbers you need to pass??

Here is what I know about the numbers.
CO 0.4 max, HC 100 max
Old 12-19-2012, 06:33 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by jaeger86
I would not take on face value what a DMV rep tells you as the next one could tell you something different. You might call G&K Automotive in Santa Ana who are registered importers and tell them what you are trying to do and they should be able to tell you exactly what you have to do. Their number is 714-545-9503, Curt
Complete emission package required, CARB requirement.
Cost $6500.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by bcgreen
Cost $6500.
OUCH!!! That was the quote from G&K??? You really are into that thing $100,000.00
Old 12-19-2012, 08:07 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by amber lamps
OUCH!!! That was the quote from G&K??? You really are into that thing $100,000.00
That's what he wanted to charge me to get it full of emission crap.
Not going that route, I've already shot my wad
Old 12-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts

I am in the process of bringiing into Calif. a '76 Carrera and how hard will it be for me to get it smogged
If the car was legally brought in to the country it received an EPA waiver and DoT release(there were no DoT exemptions).

I still have mine and keep them w/ the title

The docs should still be w/ the car, if not, rotsa ruck
Old 12-19-2012, 08:28 PM
jaeger86
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately if the car is brought into California the only way to get it registered is to go through them or another importer as there is no alternative. Also as previously stated there are no DOT exemptions so you must have documentation that the car has been upgraded or again no registration. I hope you have not put your money down on this car as the process is long and expensive. Curt
Old 12-19-2012, 08:38 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Cost $6500.
OK, some of the other posts have pretty much covered the ins-and-outs here, what I want to know is what the hell is a "complete emissions package" on a '76 2.7MFI car?

Because: 1. there never was any such animal officially imported here; and 2. what was on the CIS cars of the day (EGR, thermal reactors, air pump) are wholly incompatible with an MFI engine.

Now, if this guy is saying he'll swap out the OE 911/83 engine with a US CIS engine (equipped with above smog gear), get you a BAR sticker and send you on your way...........uh, you've killed the value of the car. (Or else you kinda plug the original engine back in when you get home?)
Old 12-19-2012, 08:51 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
If the car was legally brought in to the country it received an EPA waiver and DoT release(there were no DoT exemptions).

I still have mine and keep them w/ the title

The docs should still be w/ the car, if not, rotsa ruck
It is a ROW not the USA version of the Carrera. This has the 210 hp motor.
Keeping the fingers crossed, i don't hit any more speed bumps. All i can say this has been a very long journey, but I have made some great connections for the future.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:14 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by race911
OK, some of the other posts have pretty much covered the ins-and-outs here, what I want to know is what the hell is a "complete emissions package" on a '76 2.7MFI car?

Because: 1. there never was any such animal officially imported here; and 2. what was on the CIS cars of the day (EGR, thermal reactors, air pump) are wholly incompatible with an MFI engine.

Now, if this guy is saying he'll swap out the OE 911/83 engine with a US CIS engine (equipped with above smog gear), get you a BAR sticker and send you on your way...........uh, you've killed the value of the car. (Or else you kinda plug the original engine back in when you get home?)
Complete emissions package, is my misnomer for a whole lot of equipment to get it to pass the California smog test. What a damn shame after 36 years and these cars at this point are collector cars and not daily drivers, and we have to put up with this sh........
Old 12-19-2012, 09:40 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Complete emissions package, is my misnomer for a whole lot of equipment to get it to pass the California smog test. What a damn shame after 36 years and these cars at this point are collector cars and not daily drivers, and we have to put up with this sh........
Which is?

Steve summed it up above. Weren't we trying to get these cars to run at 3.5% CO/~150ppm HC when they were 100% up-to-spec? And not terribly successful. Not sure how you catalytic convert + air pump that down to whatever you need to pass. Not to mention the car wouldn't really actually run afterward. (I get that this would all be "temporary.")

I saw you posted .04% CO, but if my memory is at all there anymore we were required to get to about 1% on the CIS 2.7s. Granted, the BAR could have choked that down to obsolete the cars off the road.

Not sure why you're upset that the state and the BAR don't exempt an old 911. Daily driver or not, look around the state and figure it's priority number 1,349,873,234,098. If that high........

Anyone got an MT address to rent?

Quick Reply: Smog on '76 Euro Carrera