Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Smog on '76 Euro Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:01 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Do you know what CO & HC target numbers you need to pass??

JMHO, but I'd mine that data before proceeding here since it can be almost impossible to get an S-cammed engine to pass. BHDT many many times.

Knowing those value will help prevent becoming terminally frustrated and possibly ruining a good running engine. Out-of-state registration may be an option.
Someone I know said if you mix, alcohol with the gasoline, it will run clean.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:05 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by race911
Which is?

Steve summed it up above. Weren't we trying to get these cars to run at 3.5% CO/~150ppm HC when they were 100% up-to-spec? And not terribly successful. Not sure how you catalytic convert + air pump that down to whatever you need to pass. Not to mention the car wouldn't really actually run afterward. (I get that this would all be "temporary.")

I saw you posted .04% CO, but if my memory is at all there anymore we were required to get to about 1% on the CIS 2.7s. Granted, the BAR could have choked that down to obsolete the cars off the road.

Not sure why you're upset that the state and the BAR don't exempt an old 911. Daily driver or not, look around the state and figure it's priority number 1,349,873,234,098. If that high........

Anyone got an MT address to rent?
What do you know about add alcohol to fuel? What will that do for the numbers?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:49 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bcgreen
What do you know about add alcohol to fuel? What will that do for the numbers?
Zero knowledge.

Look, the car is designed to run ~4% CO, ~150ppm HC at unloaded idle. I have NO idea what the current CA standard is. Faking it didn't really work back in the Olden Days; doubt it will work now. T's were hard enough to pass, S's were a joke.

Bigger problem is going to be going to a "smog guy" who will be looking for CIS, air pump, EGR and thermal reactors on the engine.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:57 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Zero knowledge.

Look, the car is designed to run ~4% CO, ~150ppm HC at unloaded idle. I have NO idea what the current CA standard is. Faking it didn't really work back in the Olden Days; doubt it will work now. T's were hard enough to pass, S's were a joke.

Bigger problem is going to be going to a "smog guy" who will be looking for CIS, air pump, EGR and thermal reactors on the engine.
Thanks for the info. Will pass on the alcohol answer to the one who suggested it.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Best of luck on all this, and I really mean it. That I come off as a downer is because I lived this stuff in the early '80s, then again from about '88-'95 when I operated in CA. And all the old stuff had to get smogged, not just the '76-and-newer.

One thing to consider that my cousin ran into years and years ago on a '76 914--since it was manufactured in '75 they let him slide with no smog. (And if you know Type 4 2.0's with cat/egr/etc, you know those last two model years of 914s got all the smog stuff ditched practically while they were still in warranty.) Since this car is coming from "over there" maybe just maybe you could fake it as a '75.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:17 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Best of luck on all this, and I really mean it. That I come off as a downer is because I lived this stuff in the early '80s, then again from about '88-'95 when I operated in CA. And all the old stuff had to get smogged, not just the '76-and-newer.

One thing to consider that my cousin ran into years and years ago on a '76 914--since it was manufactured in '75 they let him slide with no smog. (And if you know Type 4 2.0's with cat/egr/etc, you know those last two model years of 914s got all the smog stuff ditched practically while they were still in warranty.) Since this car is coming from "over there" maybe just maybe you could fake it as a '75.
Maybe I will be lucky. Time will tell, 5-6 weeks, I reckon.
Thanks
Old 01-31-2013, 12:21 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

In California the magic number is '74.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Maybe I need to register in it in the neighbouring states, which don't require smog

Quick Reply: Smog on '76 Euro Carrera