Smog on '76 Euro Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 10:01 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Which is?

Steve summed it up above. Weren't we trying to get these cars to run at 3.5% CO/~150ppm HC when they were 100% up-to-spec? And not terribly successful. Not sure how you catalytic convert + air pump that down to whatever you need to pass. Not to mention the car wouldn't really actually run afterward. (I get that this would all be "temporary.")

I saw you posted .04% CO, but if my memory is at all there anymore we were required to get to about 1% on the CIS 2.7s. Granted, the BAR could have choked that down to obsolete the cars off the road.

Not sure why you're upset that the state and the BAR don't exempt an old 911. Daily driver or not, look around the state and figure it's priority number 1,349,873,234,098. If that high........

Anyone got an MT address to rent?
If it makes a difference but that's 0.4%. I am a professional wrencher so I can't address HC and CO numbers. These are not absolute numbers, but from a local smog station mechanic/owner.
Maybe one day they will pick up to '76 cars. I might be lucky to live long enough.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:49 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

[quote=bcgreen;10084703]
Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Do you know what CO & HC target numbers you need to pass??

Here is what I know about the numbers.
CO 0.4 max, HC 100 max
There is NO way that engine will get remotely close to those values with S-cams and MFI. Even a T-cammed version with MFI cannot hit those numbers.

I'd recommend either getting a smog waiver of some kind or registering the car somewhere where smog testing is not required as those are really your only practical options.

Once could install a totally different (smog-compliant) engine, however that's damned expensive. I've seen that done before and its a measure of last resort.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:46 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bcgreen
If it makes a difference but that's 0.4%. I am a professional wrencher so I can't address HC and CO numbers. These are not absolute numbers, but from a local smog station mechanic/owner.
Maybe one day they will pick up to '76 cars. I might be lucky to live long enough.
Typo on my part. .4% is probably at the margin of margins for a CIS engine, with the air pump actually on and working. But is that .4% @ 2500 loaded? But it's all moot, because of Steve's comment below..........

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems

There is NO way that engine will get remotely close to those values with S-cams and MFI. Even a T-cammed version with MFI cannot hit those numbers.

I'd recommend either getting a smog waiver of some kind or registering the car somewhere where smog testing is not required as those are really your only practical options.

Once could install a totally different (smog-compliant) engine, however that's damned expensive. I've seen that done before and its a measure of last resort.
Not going to be a waiver of any kind in CA. They want old cars off the road. Since anything '75-newer is supposed to have a catalytic converter, save a few of those oddball Euro and Asian makers that tried with thermal reactors, BAR pretty much wants you to replace the cat. Oh, and you're low income? Here's some bucks to get that done one time. After that? Scrap heap.

As I alluded to above, the possibility of a "temporary" CIS engine to get a BAR sticker on the car might be the overall cheapest way to go about it. A '78-9 3.0 with properly functioning EGR, cat, and air pump would plug right in with only a fuel pump and ignition box swap out.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts

It is a ROW not the USA version of the Carrera. This has the 210 hp motor.
Keeping the fingers crossed, i don't hit any more speed bumps. All i can say this has been a very long journey, but I have made some great connections for the future.
i understand that, as a mentioned in your other thread for '76 there were 2 different RoW Carrera engines, the 2.7MFI and the 3.0 cis

to bring either into the US legally the car was impounded until all the DoT changes were done and then most(mine for sure) were given a 1 time per person EPA waiver. We were told to keep both of those documents to prevent future registration issues.

I am unfamiliar w/ Ca. regs but in NH and NY where I have had my car registered I only had to show the docs at the first reg. in NH, NY just took NH docs and converted them to theirs, I was told to expect a compliance inspection by NY but that hasn't happened in the 34yrs that the car has been registered in NY.

According to what I am hearing here Ca. does not allow any 49 state car to be registered, Is that right? if so why does anyone put up w/ that sort of nonsense, How do people that relo from elsewhere do it?
Old 12-20-2012, 11:56 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Good question
Old 12-20-2012, 12:12 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
i understand that, as a mentioned in your other thread for '76 there were 2 different RoW Carrera engines, the 2.7MFI and the 3.0 cis

to bring either into the US legally the car was impounded until all the DoT changes were done and then most(mine for sure) were given a 1 time per person EPA waiver. We were told to keep both of those documents to prevent future registration issues.

I am unfamiliar w/ Ca. regs but in NH and NY where I have had my car registered I only had to show the docs at the first reg. in NH, NY just took NH docs and converted them to theirs, I was told to expect a compliance inspection by NY but that hasn't happened in the 34yrs that the car has been registered in NY.

According to what I am hearing here Ca. does not allow any 49 state car to be registered, Is that right? if so why does anyone put up w/ that sort of nonsense, How do people that relo from elsewhere do it?
Am I missing something here, and we are NOT talking about an 911/83 2.7 MFI (aka '73 RS) engined car? Further, this car is coming from Europe, and to date has never been run through DOT/EPA (let alone CA BAR) importation?

If not, nearly all of my comments are moot.

Finally, Bill.........why do we "put up with it"? It's CA government. (Now a Democrat supermajority, by the way.) That's probably all you need to know.

Simply put, the monster of the CA Air Resources Board was spawned in 1967 (by none other than then-Governor, future-President Reagan). As with all things well-intentioned, the monster has gobbled up anything in its path. Honestly, I'm surprised the emissions exemption for up-to-'75 vehicles passed at all, and is still in effect.

And to the point of 49 state cars, I'm not sure it's an issue anymore with new cars, as they should all be 50 state models. But in the Olden Days, a car had to have 7500 miles on it and be registered to the same owner if it were brought in ~1 year old. Keep people from going to OR, NV, AZ to get that extra 10HP model........ New purchases of truly used cars merely had to have as-delivered emissions equipment, and pass the 49 state tailpipe standard.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:12 PM
bcgreen
Pro

[QUOTE=race911;10086231]Am I missing something here, and we are NOT talking about an 911/83 2.7 MFI (aka '73 RS) engined car? Further, this car is coming from Europe, and to date has never been run through DOT/EPA (let alone CA BAR) importation?

This part, DOT/EPA, I am exempt. Yes, I originally posted about the 911/83 2.7 MFI vehicle.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:00 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote=bcgreen;10086392]
Originally Posted by race911
Am I missing something here, and we are NOT talking about an 911/83 2.7 MFI (aka '73 RS) engined car? Further, this car is coming from Europe, and to date has never been run through DOT/EPA (let alone CA BAR) importation?

This part, DOT/EPA, I am exempt. Yes, I originally posted about the 911/83 2.7 MFI vehicle.
Has the car been registered in any other state?

It appears that you do not have the EPA and DoT docs in hand
Old 12-20-2012, 02:45 PM
bcgreen
Pro

[quote=Bill Verburg;10086522]

Has the car been registered in any other state?

It appears that you do not have the EPA and DoT docs in hand
Talked to DMV and look at the docs on line from the DMV and all docs say DOT and EPA exempt.
European vehicle
Old 12-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote=bcgreen;10086673]
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg

Talked to DMV and look at the docs on line from the DMV and all docs say DOT and EPA exempt.
European vehicle
I'll bet when the verbiage is parsed down to it's essence it's compliant and not exempt

As I mentioned, I went through this process, the Port of entry was a few miles from my house but the car immediately went to impound then a bonded trucker had to transport it to Boston for the compliance work where I eventually picked it up.

The first US registration was in NH where the car was assigned a US VIN which is different from the chassis VIN and indicative of private importation and compliance, race cars used to receive a different VIN that meant private importation and non compliance which were never to be registered for street use

There were EPA exemptions but no DoT exemptions, all the work done was changing glass, door guard beams and various lighting changes. I received all the oe exterior lighting equipment in a box, as soon as I got home the oe head and taillights were all replaced, at the first NY inspection there was a question about the dash lighting but it was eventually ruled as legit.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

EPA and Calif smog are two different things.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Bill,

I think this varies by state, according to local smog compliance laws.

We have the same issues here in OR, albeit confined to the largest metropolitan areas that EPA designated with unclean air.

Regardless of EPA regulations and/or approvals, if a ('75or newer) car cannot pass smog here in OR, it cannot be registered in several counties.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:21 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve has mentioned registration in another State as a possible solution to the emissions problem. I know a Montana LLC can be used for registration for various reasons. I wonder if this would work for importing a '76 Carrera 2.7 for someone living in CA?
Old 12-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Some of the car sellers in SoCal push the Montana thing for registering tough to register/smog cars sold here. Not sure how tough it is....
Old 01-30-2013, 10:00 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by amber lamps
I am obviously not the expert here, but I'm seeing '74's and some of the '75's with that but not the '76's. It is part of the warm up equipment.

Here's a '76 with it:

http://blog.eurocarrera.com/2011/07/...hiteblack.html
Yes thanks, that is part of the warm up equipment for cold climates.

Quick Reply: Smog on '76 Euro Carrera