Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

9m 1972 911S repair & restoration - back to original or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 09:38 AM
DConklin
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing all of this fantastic craftsmanship with us. Very informative.

One thing that you may have not noticed is that the replacement gas tank support is a superseded shape and different from the original on the LH side of the car. I ran into this and had to do quite a lot of metalwork to make it correct. As nice as the car is going to be (and as valuable at the end of the day), the owner should spend the extra $$ to have you correct that bit.

Since you asked opinions... The ST look is terrific, but would be a mistake unless he is willing to commit all the way in every correct detail to make it a true ST replica. (even then I question the idea) ST is the hot fad right now, but I think that the original narrow look is always cool and will always bring the most money on a numbers matching S if he ever decides to sell.

Subscribing as this should be a fantastic build!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:23 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks for your input boys. I think you pretty much concur with my own thoughts regarding the colour and the body, it would be a brave guy who would now chose sepia brown over blood orange, leaf green, pastel blue or GP white. I suppose that you also have to consider that if you spend £50k having a car restored for it to end up perfect but in a colour and spec that you do not want, what's the point?

That said, my customer has another early 911 that he can build as an ST replica, but I guess that once the final bill comes in for this job I doubt he will have the funds to do another one!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:59 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
if you spend £50k having a car restored
Only 50K in "your" money? Amazing how that isn't that much, given the level of reconstruction, hmm?

Funny how I mentioned this car to a friend ('72T-into-RS with more RS parts than most real RS have, including a real RS engine....but we did it over 20 years ago when all the stuff was around for the taking), and we came up with 75K+ in "our" money.

Again, glad the underlying prices support keeping these old soldiers alive. I know my zero rust '73.5T faux RS would be kicked to the curb with even 20% of what's going on with this car.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:08 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The right side quarter panel has now been fully welded before Owen's attention turned to the left hand side of the shell. Note the fit of the door to the quarter.....
Attached Images      
Old 12-08-2012, 07:26 PM
erick72pors
Intermediate

I would honestly go back to the original Sepia brown. In fact Sepia is becoming REALLY popular again. For the amazing efforts that has been done to this car, it would only be fair to bring her back to exactly like original again!

On a side note, does it have it's original #'s matching MFI 2.4S engine?
Old 12-08-2012, 07:36 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

So, the observant might have already noticed that the left hand quarter panel is finished in green-grey whereas the right panels is black? The simple reason for this is that the right panel is a new-old-stock piece that we located and had put to one side for the job whereas the left hand side panel is a new GRV panel direct from Porsche.

The big difference that we have found with the new black GRV pressings (the part number of new panels ends in .GRV) is that they seem not to be made anywhere near as well as the original panels. To fit the panel you have to start at the back end of the shell and work from the quarterlight aperture, so there is precious little adjustment that you can make once this is aligned. However when this panel was aligned to the engine lid and quarterlight aperture we had an excessive gap between the door edge and the quarter where it welds to the B-post. The only option you have to rectify this alignment is to weld the B-post onto the shell, drill the spotwelds between the quarter panel skin and the B-post then rework the quarter panel skin to fit the door correctly.
Attached Images       
Old 12-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I totally vote sepia.

http://www.truspeedmotorcars.com/car...s.php?cid=2142
Old 12-08-2012, 09:03 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
The big difference that we have found with the new black GRV pressings (the part number of new panels ends in .GRV) is that they seem not to be made anywhere near as well as the original panels.
Why did this not surprise me in the least as I read through.........

You guys are magicians. The little I've done with bodywork--flare welding, fender fitting, door alignment, etc. can bring back nightmares 20+ years later.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:52 PM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi . I'm the owner of this car for the past 24 yrs. It was never Sepia Brown in my time, I think the owner before me painted it Red. I campaigned the car in the Porsche Club Race Series in UK, in the Irish Porsche Open and in numerous Ralliies. It won the Post Historic Section of thei inaugural Historic Killarney Rally in 1996. Altogether, I've done over 100 events in it so I consider it has a compeion history that would disappear if we went narrow/sepia. Here s two photos of it at Brands Hatch in 1990 and on the Cork 20 Rally .

Last edited by major dad; 12-09-2012 at 08:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yep, red it is.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:06 PM
kens_74911s
Racer

Default panel welds

Tell us more about those panel alignment clamps if you don't mind. They look to do a great job as opposed to a lap joint. Having an aluminum or copper backer plate spanning behind that gap would be the trick for the final stitching.
Ken
Old 12-11-2012, 12:08 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kens_74911s
Tell us more about those panel alignment clamps if you don't mind. They look to do a great job as opposed to a lap joint. Having an aluminum or copper backer plate spanning behind that gap would be the trick for the final stitching.
Ken
Nothing to say really, picture tells a thousand words:
Attached Images  
Old 12-11-2012, 12:22 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Left quarter panel now fully welded, sills fully welded to A-post, now time to weld on the left hand wing mount before coming off the jig.
Attached Images   
Old 12-11-2012, 02:02 PM
endo911rs
AutoX

Great work! What are your plans to finish and protect the back side of the rear quarter panel where it was welded? That area is very high in the wheel well and difficult to access...=...easy for rust to form. I'm doing the same thing on a 67S so I'm curious to hear your plans.

Thanks for the photo tutorial!
Old 12-11-2012, 02:21 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

A silly question but what does the "M8" designator represent in the A-pillar stamping?

Tx,
Scott

Quick Reply: 9m 1972 911S repair & restoration - back to original or not?