Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

how do you get into your P-car - seriously.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:56 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,913 Likes on 2,903 Posts
Default how do you get into your P-car - seriously.

all,

over the years i've sustained both hip/knee and shoulder injuries from playing sports over the years - i can still hit the golf ball and ski and swim with no issues but certain movements still aggravate my shoulder.

getting into our beloved 911's is one movement that has gotten difficult and really screws with my right shoulder- i used to get into my p-car like everyone else - right foot 1st, hold the windshield post and hop in - but then a few years ago that move bothered my right hip and knee.

i then progressed(or digressed)to going in head 1st and putting my right hand on the drivers far bolster/left hand on steering wheel, swung around quickly - sort of a jump in move so i still looked cool for the chicks.

that move didn't last long because my f_cking injured shoulder felt like it was being pulled out of the socket.

i now enter my p-car like an old man - head first with both hands on the seat then gently turn and awkwardly hitting my legs against the steering wheel trying to get them lower while positioning myself in the seat. i look like an old gymnast w/dimentia and my shoulder still feels like crap doing this move but no other way to do it.

what a freaking sign of age.

anyone else look as pathetic as i am getting into their cars???
Old 04-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL. I'm still OK, kinda, with the 911 - right leg in, lower my butt to the seat, slide sideways toward the middle of the car, then pull my left leg in. That said, I cannot get into the car unless I can get the driver's side door all the way open. Just enough arthritis that I can't bend my leg far enough to get my foot past the bottom of the halfway open door.

Now the 914 is a different story! I put my right leg in, then turn so I can press my butt and back against the seat backrest. Then I grab hold of the steering wheel, let myself slide down to the seat bottom, then figure out how to pull my left leg inside, while not letting my right foot make a tangled mess out of the floor mat.

Once I'm inside either Porsche, I'm ready, willing and able to still drive the car properly.

The F 150, on the other hand...I just hop in and go!
Old 04-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Mister Moo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
...what a freaking sign of age.

anyone else look as pathetic as i am getting into their cars???
Wake up call. I got stuck trying to get out of a Viper and it took two people to pull me out. Total humiliation. At 59, following various injuries and years of typical medical advice, I weighed 240-lbs., took pain pills, couldn't walk a mile and sure couldn't touch my toes. A p-car was not on the horizon.

I changed over to my own plan for rehab, exercise and eating: fast-forward one year. Having dropped 55-lbs of fat and added 25-lbs of muscle I feel top notch nearing 61; I'm riding the GoldWing again and (Woot!) finally bought a Porsche. I am strictly an *** on the seat guy, lift both knees up, twist and spin under the wheel. I can do it with the seat forward or back and, I gotta tell you, I'm damn proud of it. I usually avoid the Pete Z leg-in way to keep stress off the knee and lower back. YMMV

If I ever get a tattoo it will say, "No Pilates? No Porsche."
Old 04-19-2012, 04:40 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

try going in butt first, then swing your legs in.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

At 6'3", 220, if I get in butt first, I find myself bent in half and unable to move/bend (the 911 has Sport Seats) enough to get my head inside the car!
Old 04-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Mister Moo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
At 6'3", 220, if I get in butt first, I find myself bent in half and unable to move/bend (the 911 has Sport Seats) enough to get my head inside the car!
Try a car-yoga class?

Old 04-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Come on Rusnak....tell us how you get in ! lol, always good to hear from the PROS !
Old 04-19-2012, 09:57 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys are hilarious!! I have the sport seats with high bolsters. My advantage is that I have two good knees, and only one bad shoulder (left side).

I plant my right heel on the floor, and sort of do a sideways "limbo dance" with my left leg, and flip myself under the steering wheel, not dragging my *** on the seat bolster. Exit is the reverse of entry.

The 914-6 is a whole 'nother matter. I imagine I sort of look like Pete getting in and out. One day they'll need dental records to identify me after getting out of it.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:08 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm with 911Dave...butt first and swing my legs in.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:24 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,913 Likes on 2,903 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
i've heard the 50's mercedes gullwing owners manual describes getting into the vehicle this way...supposed to sit on the door ledge and swing your legs over.

i'll have to experiment
Old 04-19-2012, 11:48 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

That's my method and I'm 6'3" 210. Leg first doesn't work, the steering wheel interferes.
Butt first is easier on the seat bolster, you're not dragging your body across it.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:53 PM
TheMystro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am tall and that is how I get in. I find it's the easiest way I don't kick up the car getting in.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:56 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't driven my car in nearly a year, and it is now 18" off the ground on jack stands so entry is not quite the same LOL, but when I think back, I probably sit my rear in and swing my legs in after. I have sport seats, but I have a skinny little a$$ too. I'm forever banging into the bolster with my hip, so I started pushing the seat back before I get out.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:10 AM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 911 is still right foot in sit, get my right leg under the wheel then get my left leg in. The left foot is tight to the A pillar. Not too bad.

I am 6'3" and over 300#.

Now getting into the 356 is something else. The A pilar B pilar distance is too short for my legs. I have high bolster speedster style seats, which mean up and over. They were custom made so once in they are great. The seat bolster to the top of the door opening is 3" too short for my head to duck under. It is quite a sight to see me enter. Once in, I like to drive for a while because getting out is even more of a contortion.

Old knees and hips make it worse than just the space differential. Reminds me of trying on a Lotus Europa back in my youth.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:29 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Just don't make a habit of hanging much weight on the wheel, then you're car will start to feel its age too.

Quick Reply: how do you get into your P-car - seriously.