Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Wisp of fuel ID'd.............

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 09:27 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Wisp of fuel ID'd.............

Have been noticing a wisp here and there of the smell of fuel. Having replaced ALL of the lines (this year) in the engine area, I quickly checked all of those lines and found nothing awry. I had also changed out the fuel tank filter back then so that was checked and found to be just fine.

Finally got her on the rack and found the high pressure line crimp had a very small leak......'tis time for line replacements. Having spent the last hour or so reviewing the past threads on this, I wanted to thank all who have contributed, as I found much data on this issue,..lotsa' different takes on the repair, etc.
One helluva forum..............

Time to get the parts list together,..as with ANY P-project, one must pay attention to changing out several 21 year old parts (return line included) while I'm there. Fuel pump looks to be original but am considering going ahead and change it out. (I didn't test it for current draw nor volume,..but haven't had any operational problems over several years,..she runs just fine....)

Looks like running these lines are gonna' be real fun. Any tidbits from those who've done this before are quite welcome.

It's on a 1989.

Best to all

Doyle
Old 09-26-2010, 09:44 PM
RShepHorse
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Pics!
Old 09-26-2010, 10:10 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

my camera bombed on us....didn't have the car on the lift long, either....hope to get the pics when I start the process....
Old 09-26-2010, 11:19 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doyle, are you talking about the H-shape fuel line assembly on top of the motor?
Old 09-26-2010, 11:21 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

How many cameras do you go through in a year, or did you not replace it?
Old 09-26-2010, 11:26 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I had a Leica V-Lux stolen out of my car a few months ago.

I forgot to add that I traced a fuel smell to the expansion tank in the front left fender. The little vapor line needed to be replaced. Also, the flex vapor line going to the charcoal cannister in the right rear fender should be replaced at the same time.

This is totally unrelated to the high pressure fuel line you mentioned.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:54 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
How many cameras do you go through in a year, or did you not replace it?
Not too many,..have a bad habit of loaning them out,..with bad results. In this case, no DC power. The Wife had bought a cheap one that I had forgotten to charge.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:55 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak
Doyle, are you talking about the H-shape fuel line assembly on top of the motor?
Nope. Everything in the engine bay is new. This the high pressure line residing down by the fuel pump.

Thanks,

Doyle
Old 09-27-2010, 06:56 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak
I had a Leica V-Lux stolen out of my car a few months ago.

I forgot to add that I traced a fuel smell to the expansion tank in the front left fender. The little vapor line needed to be replaced. Also, the flex vapor line going to the charcoal cannister in the right rear fender should be replaced at the same time.

This is totally unrelated to the high pressure fuel line you mentioned.
I'll study the parts list for under the bonnet, as well,...although I've no issues up front.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:45 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shepp, Oh how I lament...
Good job on the fuel line diag. The top three must haves on any car is good tires, brakes, and fuel lines. rusnac is spot on though, the evap system lines are good to have in place, or completely elimanated. As far as the fuel pump, you may want to get a new one and wait for the old one to bomb, or replace it with new, and keep the old as a spare. I myself am covered up in projects...I have the motor out of the 924(second time this year) and am looking at a low-mile 2.7(up from the 2.5) to plant back into it. In the meantime, I'm driving my 88 Ford Bronco (w/429K on the clock) of which I just replaced the entire front suspension - I don't have hammers big enough in my toolbox for such draconian chassis work. Anyway, forgive my ramblings, I take a bit of liberty in your threads shepp for well rounded discussions.
Has anybody visited the audio forum? I've lurked a bit and was thinking that your insight may add to the fine discussions over there shepp.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:23 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Bird,..good to hear from you. Haven't hit that forum but will check it out.

Your "liberty" is always welcomed, my friend.

Am looking forward to this fuel line project but still have more reading to do, first.

You making the RUSH show? We sure are looking forward to it,..Wednesday nite, bro!!!!!!!!!

Best,

Doyle
Old 09-27-2010, 05:41 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thus my lament. I am doubtful I will make it. The wife is out of town(scheduled to return tommorrow)and I don't have wheels for a drive to GA until she returns with my truck. ARRRGGGGG.
let me see whart I can do...tommorrow is also her B-day so I have an immediate opportunity to earn some points toward a quick jaunt out of town. I shall see.
The audio forum isn't so bad. I can't add much in the way of discussion when it comes to the hardcore audiophiles...somehow they lose me, but I do enjoy music and fine equipment. There is a LOT of hype in home audio.
Anyway...Are you feeling well? I remember you're mention of a procedure recently.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:02 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

WOW...My Wife's B-day is today! Weirdly close....

Rx'd a call from a Bud in the touring industry (drives really nice busses for some very well-known people) who's home for the month. He needed some assistance in seeing a Physician so we worked out a barter, of sorts, and will, subsequently, be attending the show in the (normally expected) Limo (we're very spoiled). If you're flying in, lemme' know, as we could have the driver swing by Hartsfield, if necc'y. A bit late to have him scheduled to drive to your door up in the mountains,...and pick your **** up.

In any case, would hope to get the chance to meet you.

Being an audio engineer, I think I can stay with the "boys" over there,..just hope there's some real music boys over there...(although I do dig the electronic discussions of the topic,..especially sound).

Yes,..feeling ok,..stomach virus for about a week last week,...before that (and what you're refererring to) was a heart cath,..I did well,..relatively unremarkable...the usual: lifestyle changes for better health,..unfortunately I'm a smoker, I'm a joker,..I'm a midnite toker'................................I plan to put 'em down.......THAT will be TONS harder than any fuel line routing on my girl, for sure....with people's lives in true danger.....................(and, not from gas).

Anywaze,..good to hear from you,..I'll try to serve up some pics on this present fuel leak issue and continue my research (finding those nifty little tricks from the trench guys) before the repair. I plan to do it myself. I know I've a pic of that tunnel OPEN, somewhere. I'd like to see something that shows exactly where everything is located within the tunnel,..just for information).

Hope you make the show.

My best,

Doyle
Old 09-28-2010, 04:04 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

WB and Doyle, happy birthdays to your wives. Doyle, get well and I hope you feel better really soon!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:52 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

AS ALWAYS, your comments are welcomed and appreciated, not to mention the tech stuff learned from you guys over the past few years.....

Thanks, for it all.

Hope to get my parts list finished this W/E for the upcoming "wisp" removal trek. Then attempt the gonad size needed to engage it.....can't afford my P-wrench these days, so it's time to give it a go.

Did I mention RUSH, tomorrow evening , Hotlanta? Been waiting on this all year!

Best,

Doyle

Last edited by dshepp806; 09-28-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Wisp of fuel ID'd.............