Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Wisp of fuel ID'd.............

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 04:00 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha, feel free to pick her up shepp...some time in a 911 during her primal years could do some good. Be forwarned, a whisp of fuel is not what you will smell. The best sleep I ever had as a kid was behind the back seat in a VW Bug, the drone of an aircooled flat-4 is hypnotic.

Glad all went well at the p-wrench. Good, trusted advice and service is nice to fall back on when needed.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:21 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks like the fuel pump/lines were leaking fuel, no? These would be separate from the fuel line issue in the center tunnel. Maybe a loose fitting or a need for a fresh crush washer. In any case, the new parts would have fixed the problem.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:22 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct, Rusnak,..as stated,..at the crimp on the line going INTO the tunnel (therefore I'd consider it a fuel line issue, for sure)...no mechanical fittings were found loose. Never had any leak issue "within" the tunnel....glad the repair was handled OUTSIDE that damned tunnel,..no need to run the entire length.

The new parts fixed the problem and more new parts ensured I won't have any further problems. They removed an original 1988 manufacture date fuel pump (fine with me) and new hoses up front (all of 'em). All pressure measurements were within .5 psi of spec. Tank was cleaned, as well......

Bird,..I bet "wisp" would be the wrong word when relating to beautiful Ms. Woody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gonna keep the old pump as a backup (or possibly to assist other Rl's when needed).

Finally, put to bed,..didn't mind spending the coins for the big boys to handle it. As Bird characterized "trusted" advice/service....piece of mind.....she's running SSSSOOOOOOOOOO gooooood!

Thanks to all who helped with providing data and observation for me..........
Old 01-18-2011, 08:54 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Someone else chime in here, but would it be a good idea to run some oil or something through the old fuel pump before storage?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:39 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Good question Rusnak
Old 01-19-2011, 10:28 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe some Kerosene, or thin oil. I have never considered it however. I keep a new fuel pump on hand and have wondered if its storage (in the car itself) is a rough "shelf life". Probably wouldn't hurt to shoot it good with Tri Flo, or Boeshield which I have on the "Bicycle shelf".
Old 01-19-2011, 01:48 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I like Boeshield on raw metal. I spray it on the tools in the front trunk, but it's a little bit waxy.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:41 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Wrench suggested Stabil....
Old 01-20-2011, 06:26 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

I'd keep this part at home,...however,..should I leave for an extended trip, she'd surely be in the bonnet...

As to Stabil, I don't see where this would help with the lube side of things? Maybe a combination of chemicals? Dunno........

I'll get some post work pics posted as soon as I can get her on the rack , to close up this thread. I'm quite interested in seeing the repair.......

I sure wished I had them get pressure measurements on the old pump before removal,..as well as current draw on that old baby. Hindsight=20/20.

Best,

Doyle

Quick Reply: Wisp of fuel ID'd.............