Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The '73 RS Clone, Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 04:55 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The '73 RS Clone, Revisited

So I've had the car you see below sitting around for about 8 years now. Originally I found it in 1990, and it was going to be an RSR conversion for my then-girlfriend. Yes, a longhood RSR (though it probably would have initially had a carb'd 3.0) for a 20-something blonde......... But a week later a dead '77 dropped in my lap, and the project shifted to doing a 3.0 930 for her. (That car turned out really nice, and the only things non-correct were the rear trailing arms, and that I kept a 915 trans in the car.)

My cousin, then going to Cal took this (then) puke yellow '73 1/2 CIS T Sportomatic, with factory air and sunroof off my hands. I'd given him a ride in my 911 when he was a teen, and he was hooked. So here was his chance to do the RS he'd envisioned. Except he didn't have any money. But he went at it, and disassembled the car to the barest of shells. Zero rust, ever. After the hard work was done, which didn't cost anything, he was out of college and could afford to build the car. It was finished off in Grand Prix White with real RS flares, an MFI 2.7S engine, S front spoiler, S deco, fabricated RS rear bumper ends, and I think it even had a real RS (or at least '74 Carrera) ducktail at one point. Damned near perfect. He even painted the car himself.

But life moves on......... The 910 project (www.newhistorics.com) was moving along 7-8 years later, he never drove this car, and he needed the bucks to buy a lathe and CNC mill. So I took the roller off his hands, liquidated all the expensive (and getting to be rare) trim parts, had a cage welded in for running it in our local Spec 911 series. And then the engine I hastily threw together coughed a piston in the first race. So in the corner of the shop it went. Then it periodically got moved around to other storage places. Sat and sat and sat. Until a couple of days ago, when I pulled it into the current shop.

Now I'm staring at this car, having nearly zero interest in torsion bar 911s, thinking this chassis is too nice to trash/expose to wheel-to-wheel. What to do? I've got everything and then some to do whatever combination suits my fancy. Engine? 2.7S, 3.0, 3.2, 3.6 (any with carbs or injection), hell even 3.0 and 3.3 turbo parts are laying around. Trans? Mg or Al 915, w/ or w/o Quaife or LSD. Suspension? What's on the car is decambered/raised spindle struts, custom valved Bilsteins, 22/31 T-Bars, Charlie Bars for stabilizers, 930 brakes. All way too much for a non-competition car.

OK, I've typed enough. We'll see where this goes over the rest of the summer.
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2010, 10:43 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

A few photos I found from when it was completely disassembled.
Attached Images     
Old 07-29-2010, 11:12 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Dilemna.

I'd say that in this case, the roller has more value as the sum, than the individual parts. If I look at Ruby, she's probably got more value parted out than if I ever sold her. Not so with this...

This could be a nice "R Gruppish" car with just a decent engine. Heck, the perfect Calif car missing the smog requirements. I ought to buy it and move some parts over...
Old 07-30-2010, 08:55 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Some photos I found from when I got the car as a roller in '02.
Attached Images      
Old 07-30-2010, 08:57 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

And here we were today, being productive.
Attached Images     
Old 07-31-2010, 12:49 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some guys have it all. Mid-20s blondes and early cars sitting around.
I've always liked the idea of an early car with a 2.3 twin(small) turbo set up similar to a 962 and an intercooler that will fit under a duck tail. You know...a high revving twin turbo!!!
Old 08-02-2010, 02:29 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Well, she's mid 40s now.............. And 20 years ago there were longhoods in decent shape sitting around pretty much everywhere. This one was about $3K, and it was running. Sort of, had a broken piston. One that I'll always remember "getting away" in that era was a fully optioned Gemini Blue '73S for about $4K. Guy decided to keep it, and I ended up doing the engine/trans on it, then he got it painted. Probably spent over $20K back when those cars weren't even worth $10K.

I've got the pieces to do a small displacement turbo, except a 66mm stroke crank. I'd just set it up like a 3.0 turbo and wouldn't worry about an intercooler for a street car.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:10 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Further stripping last week. (Gratuitous shot of C4S, and the later air cooled cars I'm now accustomed to are most of the reason I can't wrap my head around torsion bar cars anymore.)
Attached Images     
Old 08-10-2010, 10:05 AM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 234 Posts

I'd cut the cage out and install a nice 3.0L engine in it. It already has some nice suspension pieces.

Why was the front bumper painted black when it was a O/T car?
Old 08-10-2010, 12:29 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

A 3.0 would be the most appropriate choice as the pieces I have laying around are from a 3.0 930 engine, so that would be the lightest lump in an AL engine I could come up with. But the fuel mileage/driveability of running carbs anymore out here is very undesirable. Especially 46's.

Front (and rear) bumpers were never painted. Car was quickly assembled for a club race initially, and I didn't get around to painting anything.

None of the suspension that came off the car is really suitable for a street car. If you're truly interested in performance, rather than claiming stiffer-is-better. Maybe for autocross; even then I'd take my chances on a softer car I could surf, at most venues.

The most likely scenario for this car is selling the shell off, or now that I have time to build it to spec to a buyer's exact desire.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:17 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race911
A 3.0 would be the most appropriate choice as the pieces I have laying around are from a 3.0 930 engine, so that would be the lightest lump in an AL engine I could come up with.
I agree. The 3.0L is a great engine for an early small bumper 911. It has good torque and good reliability.

But the fuel mileage/driveability of running carbs anymore out here is very undesirable.
I like the carb engines due to their simplicity. I don't worry about gas mileage.

None of the suspension that came off the car is really suitable for a street car. If you're truly interested in performance, rather than claiming stiffer-is-better.
It's all in a guy's personal opinion. In this part of the country, we can work with a stiff suspension. It's hard to claim that a non-A/C car is a suitable street car around here.

The most likely scenario for this car is selling the shell off, or now that I have time to build it to spec to a buyer's exact desire.
I'd be interested in the car if I wasn't 2500 miles from you. I like early longhoods (and have never owned anything else). This car has a great looking body shell and some nice suspension parts. Please keep us posted on what you decide to do.

BTW, my favorite Porsche is my 1973 911T in Gemini Blue with a stroked 1973 911S engine (carb'd).

Old 09-11-2010, 02:45 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Gratuitous bump since we've got someone looking for a completed RS-ish car.

All I've done the past couple of weeks is work over the paint. It's still amazingly good. Got it about 75% done with the buffer and clay bar.

Looks like this one will roll back into storage shortly as I've gotten somewhat motivated to do the mechanicals on the RSA. Been trying to sell it as-is, cheap, as I had my eye on Evan's 993 race car you might have seen in the for sale ads. But, it seems no DIY market for cars that have an entry point at $20K+. So I'll spend my spare time doing the top end and trans on that, and re-list it ready-to-go at market value.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:48 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Dilemna.

I'd say that in this case, the roller has more value as the sum, than the individual parts. If I look at Ruby, she's probably got more value parted out than if I ever sold her. Not so with this...

This could be a nice "R Gruppish" car with just a decent engine. Heck, the perfect Calif car missing the smog requirements. I ought to buy it and move some parts over...
Too funny to find this post in here from when I first pulled the '73 chassis from deep storage.

So, yesterday, the (likely) engine and (definite) suspension are starting to be extracted.
Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2013, 03:41 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race911
So, yesterday, the (likely) engine and (definite) suspension are starting to be extracted.
Good luck on what sounds like to be a fun project.

P.S. I was in your neighborhood a couple a months ago for the Saturday morning EASY get-together. It was fun.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:19 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VintageRacer
Good luck on what sounds like to be a fun project.

P.S. I was in your neighborhood a couple a months ago for the Saturday morning EASY get-together. It was fun.
Wait, are you the seat guy?

Quick Reply: The '73 RS Clone, Revisited