Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Finally Starting my 3.2 to 3.4 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 01:19 AM
Dentron
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ed, I'm a rookie at this. When you rebuilt your engine what all did you have done? The reason why I ask is I'm not racing this car via POC... Cab... that would be interesting, but I was thinking of having the folks at Extrude Hone my intake manifold. To make that smooth mirror type passage for better airflow. I'm wondering your take on that?

C.L.

Last edited by Dentron; 02-02-2010 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Added more info
Old 02-02-2010, 02:47 AM
Dentron
Instructor

Originally Posted by whalebird
The 3.6 shaft is nice to have if you have evr seen a snaped 3.2 unit. Improper oil cooler plumbing will kill it.
I know, but I'm using stock valve springs... I'm thinking I'll be o.k.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm certainly no expert. I've been on the fence about the extruding myself. There are some that say there is benefit, but I've talked to a few guys who have built a few engines, and find the expense probably not worth it. Two of them this past weekend at Daytona talked me out of it.The biggest benefit is probably evening out the flow from cylinder to cylinder. But the DME system is not a precision system as you've got some cross from cyl to cyl on each manifold bank. If money is no object, then I'm sure you'll get some benefit-the question is how much?

Racing valve springs and Ti retainers are a must, in my opinion. You really should reconsider that. ARP or similar high tensile rod bolts too. These are all components of insurance against damage with the dreaded missed shift. I'd hate to put this money and time into a motor and then make a bonehead mistake in 3 or 6 months or 3 years for that matter. A solid upgrade whether the car is street or track.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:54 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 Ed on the hardware. Its a must have when going thru one of these motors. Money very well spent and, although expensive, will seem like a bargain five years down the road when everything is solid and not leaking. Extrude hone is expensive and the benefit is unknown to me. We did it to an IMSA turbo motor along with lots of other stuff and the benefit, if any, may have been shrouded by other stuff. Whats 15hp when you already have 450 on tap? That was a money is no object/every advantage possible deal. Turbo motors don't respond as well as NA to porting because the air is getting crammed in there anyway. So it might help, might not. I would do it though since I'm across the country and spending your money in my head. LOL
Dentron... you will probably be OK as you said. The problem is when on cold start up, thick gooey oil plumbed to the front of the car thru a cooler is too much for the shaft (oil pump).
Old 02-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Dentron
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I'm certainly no expert. I've been on the fence about the extruding myself. There are some that say there is benefit, but I've talked to a few guys who have built a few engines, and find the expense probably not worth it. Two of them this past weekend at Daytona talked me out of it.The biggest benefit is probably evening out the flow from cylinder to cylinder. But the DME system is not a precision system as you've got some cross from cyl to cyl on each manifold bank. If money is no object, then I'm sure you'll get some benefit-the question is how much?

Racing valve springs and Ti retainers are a must, in my opinion. You really should reconsider that. ARP or similar high tensile rod bolts too. These are all components of insurance against damage with the dreaded missed shift. I'd hate to put this money and time into a motor and then make a bonehead mistake in 3 or 6 months or 3 years for that matter. A solid upgrade whether the car is street or track.
Good point Ed. I was tossing the idea around back and forth, but you do make a good point, and it would be silly not too. I'm convinced. I'm doing it.

Thanks Ed...
Old 02-04-2010, 01:15 AM
Dentron
Instructor

My heads are finally polished.

Rods are weighed and balanced

Decided to go with the Racing Valve Springs and Ti retainers.

Almost ready to pull this together

Old 02-04-2010, 01:53 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

No twin plug?
Old 02-04-2010, 01:57 AM
Dentron
Instructor

lol... no we're going to put a cap on this project.

I'm still tossing the Extrude hone option. I still have time.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:17 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I would think twin plug would do a lot more performance-wise than extrude honing. $800 or so for extruding, $1800-2000 for twin plugging. You're going to be pushing the efficiency of combustion via one plug with a 98mm cylinder. You're either going to be running higher octane and/or limiting your ability to tune the chip.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:35 AM
Dentron
Instructor

I am trying to stay away from $7.00 a gallon that's for sure, but I think Steve Wong will be able to make the ship once I break it in 1000 miles and dyno it. There's a line I'm trying not to cross because smogging is going to be a problem. The Extruding is $630 + tax... I'm not sure why they quoted tax, but that's what they told me. I think I'm going to call Steve tomorrow to get some feedback.

How is your rebuild coming?

C.L.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Rebuild? Ha, I've only seen my car for 5 minutes in the last two weeks. I was hoping to get one more good drive before I take it offline. Looks like rain when I get home Saturday. I'm probably going to drop the motor the weekend of of 2/20 or 2/27. Need to see what works. I've been accumulating parts 'til now.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:49 AM
Dentron
Instructor

We should have the engine done by the end of next week.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:44 AM
Dentron
Instructor

Originally Posted by rusnak
Nice! Can you let us know which parts you will be changing from stock, and what you've learned about them? Thanks!
Rusnak I just noticed your post. I'll post the parts that I changed, from stock, once I finish.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:48 AM
Dentron
Instructor

Sweet 3.4 projects going on in So. Cal. Wish I were there. I could make the rounds with a case of beer and stay updated weekly.
Dentron, Isthat a 3.6 lay-shaft(oil pump drive)?
Hey Whalebird bring a couple of cases we're coming down to the home stretch.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:56 AM
Dentron
Instructor

+1 Ed on the hardware. Its a must have when going thru one of these motors. Money very well spent and, although expensive, will seem like a bargain five years down the road when everything is solid and not leaking. Extrude hone is expensive and the benefit is unknown to me. We did it to an IMSA turbo motor along with lots of other stuff and the benefit, if any, may have been shrouded by other stuff. Whats 15hp when you already have 450 on tap? That was a money is no object/every advantage possible deal. Turbo motors don't respond as well as NA to porting because the air is getting crammed in there anyway. So it might help, might not. I would do it though since I'm across the country and spending your money in my head. LOL
Dentron... you will probably be OK as you said. The problem is when on cold start up, thick gooey oil plumbed to the front of the car thru a cooler is too much for the shaft (oil pump).
Well, I guess I got sucked into Extrude hone on the intake. The thought of not doing it would have always stuck in the back of my mind. So I guess you could say I couldn't resist.

Quick Reply: Finally Starting my 3.2 to 3.4 Conversion