Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Time to deal with that #1 plug,...........

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 05:16 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a good day to melt.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:06 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and I am melted. Bird,..are you traveling alone for the RUSH show/Atlanta? Need to know ASAP...

Thanks,

Doyle
Old 06-16-2010, 06:44 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Wow, just getting free Internet service at the airport in Paris and got this. What a shame. Depending on what your initial conversation with the shop was, and if they didn't offer up a head removal and repair option, shame on them. Maybe you can get them to negate a second round of labor up to that point and then pay for the head removal and repair? If you keep it as is, I'd not pull the plugs any more than I had to.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:59 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Just back from my friend's memorial service....sad to be around sad people. Luckily, these people think much like me,..in that they had NO burial service,..but did have a celebration of life party..several musicians showed up to play........now THAT's how you handle the exodus. My face was forced to issue the requirements of crying with laughing my **** off with friends and stories of Mike.....THAT is quite different,..and in a good way. Everyone walked away refocussing on their lives ,..the time remaining,..the things to do. Anywaze,..not to get off topic (my friends).

Rx'd a voicemail from the Owner today stating he had a resolution to propose (an idea) and to call him back. I've yet to do it but will do so by EOD. Will post his take. I will STRONGLY reiterate that I highly respect these guys (that is, as far as I know them,..although the relationship has stood for about 5 years), and feel I need to be patient for a period of time,...holistically absorb the things I don't know (from those who do),..then, eventually, achieve a right answer/solution.

Everybody's inputs (ALL) are appreciated. I'm just a picky SOB and not in the mood to hear anything other then "IT'S RIGHT".

Ed: thanks for the "unique" response from Paris (you fucher). Trust me, I'm not even looking at the plug for now,..and appreciate the advice. I was really wondering how hard to turn that puppy on (re)install...I knew what 19 felt like for the plug torque,..BUT had no idea what that insert was looking for (in terms of torque). Last thing I need is for the fucher to loosen. The most I will do (tonite, in fact) is to place the factory wrench on it and see what it "feels" like,...just to VERIFY that nothing is loosening. Can't wait to hear about the trip (with pics, I'm sure)....

will be back shortly...........

Thanks again to all..

Best,

Doyle

Last edited by dshepp806; 06-17-2010 at 06:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-17-2010, 06:33 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by S. Carver
My condolences for your friend Doyle. I hope you take this in the spirit it is intended; to find the correct (?) perspective on your friend's unexpected departure - a golf course may be one of the best places to leave from.

My very best wishes to you and yours.
Thanks for your comments. Although I don't play golf (I do play guitar!), I've many friends who are disciples of the game. They (like Mike) have a true passion for the game.......You're point is well-taken, sir.

Best to you and yours, too!!!!!!!!!

Doyle
Old 06-17-2010, 07:16 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doyle, you should write a song. What would be even better, is to put it on youtube so your friends can enjoy it as well.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:47 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Well,..here we go,...the wrench has been in contact with me and agrees to make use of the product: Time-Sert. You know, he mentioned that in his business (that would be working on Porsche, BMW, other Euros) he could work with over a dozen repair products. I've still yet to hear what (exactly) he used,..BUT the plan is to make an attempt to use the Time-Sert product, with engine in place. He seems quite genuine in his comments and I appreciate his offer, at this point. Guess we'll see where we land on this.

I'm a bit more settled, now. Not as much as I will be (however) when I can lift that plug out having the insert stay put!!!!!!!!! Proof will be in the pudding.

If anyone here has actually used Time-Serts, I'd appreciate any/all observations. Still not clear on what was used,...whatever would require "crimping"...(WTF?) I'm sure I'm misunderstanding something......The Time-Sert device will make use of 3 threads to lock it within the aluminum (as I understand it)..we'll see.

Thanks, friends,

Doyle
Old 06-17-2010, 08:07 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

As to my comment about "what" this wrench works on, I would remind everyone that this cat's a serious racer of Porsches,...that's his gig.....he has a few race cars......I know this doesn't necc'l make him an expert on older air-cooled, however he seems to know what's up with these era cars, as he came up thru this time, as well. I'm referring to the owner of the shop, BTW.

He has a great mechanic (another Porsche disciple) who works within his shop, by the name of Serge. A nice guy, for all of the times I've spoken with him. THIS is the cat doing the work, for sure. So, I will check in with Serge, as well.......

Life is so short,...I'm "good" where I am right now....gonna' stay positive (while be a realist)...will keep you guys updated....I welcome all commentary, especially from the Wrenches out there. All non-wrenches are STILL welcomed (still, trenchmen, no?)

Thankful for this forum, and those that spend a bit of time here.

Best,

Doyle
Old 06-17-2010, 08:13 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak
Doyle, you should write a song. What would be even better, is to put it on youtube so your friends can enjoy it as well.
You may have an idea there, RUSNAK. I'll have to really work on "metaphor", lending some HARD guitar tracks to back it. Writing it, would be one thing, but playing, another,..always a compromise. Lyrics? Sure,..easy enough. But a YouTube video of a performance would be another matter....

The music would contain all of the characteristics of the service repair trek,...the worries,..the elations,...the discoveries,...the resolutions,...the measurements, thereof. Lotsa' time changes, push-pull,.....syncopations,.....

MY GOD,..I JUST DESCRIBED RUSH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Funny,...

Thanks Rusnak
Doyle
Old 06-21-2010, 07:00 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

It looks like we will re-engage this repair with the Time-Sert product. I will be ordering the TS kit and inserts and will provide this to my wrench (I know, this will **** off some fellow RL's). I'm still trying to find out WHICH product was used on the previous repair. I feel like I need to KNOW this,...My research on this type of repair has revealed several different approaches to repair....Need to determine if this hole needs redrilling or, is the existing head threads right on for the shoulder drill out for the washer.
AGAIN, we'll be using the Time-Sert product. It uses (what appears to me to be) +4 threads to secure the with cold-rolled inserts. Wouldn't want to know what's "in there" right now?

Thanks to all,

Doyle

Apparently, there are some things to be strictly paid attention to.......
Old 06-21-2010, 07:15 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

I realize a pic is worth a thousand words,..however, I'm, presently, "cameraless"...so,

I noted (upon the recent spark plug changeout) all of the things of note when doing so.....such as:

Looking (closely) at:

electrode (all concerns), ceramic signature, threads, onandon andon..............

I noticed 2 plugs that had varying degrees of thread disapprearance at various "positions" of the spark plug thread entirety....(that is: while looking at the removed spark plug's threads, I would see a "disappearence" of the spark plug threads, providing a MASH of the (i.e., no) threads at various locations, sometimes spanning 3 threads.

Is this something that's repaired with a thread serter?

Wish I had pics for you all....it's SO visual when looking at it.

Sorry,

Best,

Doyle
Old 06-21-2010, 08:57 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

On rare occasion my shop encountered a "first time in" car that had plugs installed using silver anti-seize. In those cases the plugs had to be wrenched all the way out vs breaking loose the plug and turning the socket extension by hand. This situation was far more common than overtightened plugs, and more likely to lead to damaged threads (we saw what you're describing). We kept a couple of plug-sized thread taps that we fitted a nut on the end of.

If we didn't like the look of the threads on a particular plug we got out the tap, put that piston on the bottom of its stroke, and ever so gently got the tap started in the hole. It was all feel from there, and a socket and short extension did the rest of the job. We greased the tap to minimize metal bits entering the combustion chamber, and if a hole was rough we backed out the tap and cleaned it a couple of times. This was the only way that I knew to preserve a customer engine, and I think that we probably saved a lot of people from down-the-road grief/expense.

Your case definitely sounds like a spark plug tap is needed to clean up the thread holes. This can be done at the next plug replacement, and can be done with the engine in the car. It will be easier if you remove the A/C compressor and move it off to the side. It takes a lot of touch (I would never let an apprentice touch that job), but if you can visualize the angle of an installed plug, in other words can you install a plug with your eyes closed?, you should be able to do it.

I used a 10mm x 1.5 thread x 15mm wrench size nut on mine, and hammered the nut onto the square drive end of my tap. Each combination of nut and tap is different, you just need to find one that fits tight, and then add JB Weld.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:38 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

MM....mmm,..hadn't thought of JB weld.....where (exactly), Pete?

For sure, Time Serts, exhaust #1 repair will be "engine, in-situ'"............

Thanks,
Doyle
Old 06-21-2010, 09:40 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Those bottom several cold-rolled, steel thread sleeve threads that do the "business" of locking her down?

Thanks (again),

Doyle
Old 06-21-2010, 11:40 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

The JB was for securing the nut to the tap.

Quick Reply: Time to deal with that #1 plug,...........