Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Time to deal with that #1 plug,...........

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:57 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mazda's racing efforts in the past has been plagued with problems. The twin turbo RX7s were good track cars.
The turbos like it that temp in Daytona though. probably good for the drivers as well.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:51 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still don't have the camera back so I borrowed one from an employee...pics are not that good, but maybe you can see the deal......*brings back ($$$) memories*
Attached Images      
Old 02-05-2010, 12:56 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

some more pics....

Closing comments:

change out frequently
do not over-torque
start by hand/don't crossthread
(for me), a small bit of lithium grease and anti-seize (very lightly on threads)

Best to all,

Doyle
Attached Images   
Old 02-05-2010, 01:56 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ooof! Those pics are a pants-wetter. I'm not going to say what I'm thinking about the porcelin. I'm glad that the car is running fine!
Old 02-05-2010, 03:31 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Well,..you'd damned well better, Rusnak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I should mention that there were other small pieces not with me for the photo.

Come on Rusnak,..lay it out.

Best,

Doyle
Old 02-05-2010, 03:50 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I'm sure the engine, since it was out and needed other work, was put on a stand with the spark plug hole facing down so that stray bits could be suctioned out. If there were other pieces, then it stands to reason that they fell out via gravity. I know you mentioned grease on the tap. I
Old 02-05-2010, 03:59 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

They assured me all was removed.......

As noted earlier,..I plan to do another oil change real soon,..and split the filter......

I would state that they would have used every method possible to ensure no artifacts remaining....suction, attachment, gravity...air,....boroscoped,...geez,..what else is a wrench to do. At least they didn't depend on "prayer"..

As mentioned, there were other pieces not photo'd...although I don't think one could make a complete reassembly of all plug parts,...

...make you nervous, Rusnak?
Old 02-05-2010, 04:00 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

what's hard for me to discern is the visual evidence of crossthreading.......am I blind?

Doyle
Old 02-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Those threads look pretty mangled to me....
Old 02-05-2010, 09:16 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Yes, the crossthreading is evident. I thought they time-serted the head and therefore you have new threads?
Old 02-06-2010, 03:54 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

I was told they installed time-sert......and I, therefore have new threads now....no?

Of course, I don't have pics of the installed time-sert....

Last edited by dshepp806; 02-06-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:49 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Well that picture is worth a thousand words .. definitely worth the wait .... here is my humble two cents ...

the threads were defiintiely damaged .. .. looks like they tried to drill it out .. and didn't quite get it perfectly centered ( hense the crescent moon shape . probably caught some of the threads in the head with the drill. The good news is that instantly alows the remaining metal of the plug to collapse and can be lifted out . Now you guys can understand my questions about the leftover metal in the head and of course your not going to lift out aluminum head pieces with a magnet .. but don't worry Doyle I am sure they got it all based on your explanation.

With the threads now damaged I think they just drill it out some more and insert a time cert so it will be as good as new..

This is a very good example of what can happen even with exhaust studs if they snap off in the head..except in that case you are drilling out hardened studs ....

Bottom line though Doyle is you did the right thing .. even if that plug had come out . it was so mangled you would have taken the head threads with you anyway as it came out and would never have been able to insert a new plug .. so you would have had a towing charge too ... even coming out the way it did you can see the aluminum from the heads between the threads ....

I have a few parts from my Porsche also that I keep that have high dollar value .. in my office I keep a simple paperweight .. a hydraulic tensioner from my 944 .. that cost me over 5,000 dollars..

anyways .. I am pretty sure modern plugs come with a coating already on the threads so additional anti seize is not required ...

Modern plugs are designed to last 50,000 mile or more ... but I change mine every two years or so and have never had an issue ... always put in with the extension and no ratchet until the final tightening .. takes WAY longer but this is a great example of why it is worth it ...
Old 02-06-2010, 11:37 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Ice.

As mentioned, they used several drill sizes to get it done...I now better understand what I'm looking at (with your mention of aluminum from the heads...)

I change mine out each year.....and you can bet your **** I'll be especially careful (as I always am) having seen such bad results from the PO's wrench.....

Yeap, I keep telling myself: "Good as new,...good as new"...............(while I'm tightening the damned ground lug on the intake manifold........................................................)

Just got back from the AM drive (1 hour,..just me, her, twisties and some Dream Theatre),..she's running so well now, that I'll kill the stereo just to listen to the band "Flat-6" !!!!!!!!!!!! Had 3 deer run out in front of me, about 50-70 feet ahead....the downshift with braking really had those girls leaping high into the air......I kept it at reasonable speeds from there on.......kinda freaked me out a bt.....

I DO appreciate all of the constructive comments from the group.....always lots to learn...you've always been a great contributor and teacher.....as have many others......

Best,

Doyle
Old 02-06-2010, 12:42 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good as new Shepp... I'm glad your driving and listening to the symphony. I have the motor apart right now in the 924S and am ordering 3 notebook pages of parts and uncertainty keeps creeping into my head about what I "could" be overlooking. I know this beast in my head like I know every Rush song, but it's easy to start second guessing things when all the guts are on the table. So, I just go and spend a litttle time in the shop in front of the parts cleaner, looking and pecking around, and I feel that everything is going to be...good as new. After all, the time spent obcessing over it and careful scrutiny is reassuring and soon, I too will be listening to the symphony(more of a 4 cyl. chamber ensamble). "It's my turn to drive..." keeps rotating thru my brain. It's why we love Porsches and you are living proof. Think not of the "what if's" after the fact, but how it is. If there was a problem, you would know by now. Now's a good time to start phase 2: maybe some support mods like a clean set of seperates in the doors(What kind of car audio are you running?), or some tasty suspension bits. I am a huge fan of sport seats - if you don't have some you should. Combined with a 930S steering wheel will transform your car beyond your wildest imagination - trust me - it will be a completely different animal. I think seats and wheel is critical in these cars. These things are highly underated and overlooked. Seriously think about it. AJ racing has the 930S steering wheel, or did. Let us know your thoughts!
Scott
Old 02-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Whale, that cracks me up. For my project, I've been considering stuff like how many M8 and M6 nuts I'll need for timing box covers. I've listed them as well as new flywheel bolts, oil line ferrules and nuts, wrist pin circlips, etc on a growing spreadsheet.

Quick Reply: Time to deal with that #1 plug,...........