Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1977 911 value?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 944J
makes sense here, i'm looking into the viability of buying old porsches and fixing them up and selling them for a profit, finding the numbers and a good builder/modifier who can do the work for me at a low price based on doing mroe than one car... any ideas?
You'd be challenged trying to make money on low dollar 911's IF you did the work yourself! Bring an outside labor entity into it, and you're screwed for sure.

Unless you're dealing in collectibles or banking on a garage queen's value going up in time, the "everyday" 911 should be something you enjoy working on and owning, as there's just not enough upside, at least right now, to make it into a for-profit venture.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:28 AM
944J
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd like to become more like a strosek or wicked motor works...

check out this 7" wider 911 by wicked motor works:

Old 12-16-2008, 02:39 AM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
You'd be challenged trying to make money on low dollar 911's IF you did the work yourself! Bring an outside labor entity into it, and you're screwed for sure.

Unless you're dealing in collectibles or banking on a garage queen's value going up in time, the "everyday" 911 should be something you enjoy working on and owning, as there's just not enough upside, at least right now, to make it into a for-profit venture.
i'd have to get them for very cheap and develop an efficient system for doing whatever i will do to them to make them more valuable or more desirable, i think its key to start with cars that have a high potential upsale like making track ready race cars or 911's since 944/928/914 don't have enough demand from the non porsche fanatic... the key is to identify the customer and see if there is enough demand. i think the demand would be for a porsche with more performance and better looks but cheaper than (insert something here) or same price but cooler and more different than (insert something here).

btw i've already test marketed this and got an offer from a major porsche replica company to sell the cars for me on their lots and from their showrooms, they were interested in selling street/track tuned 944 turbo's for $50,000 for me.

now its time for number crunching and to find a good builder/tuner who i can work with.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Getting an offer to sell your cars and getting actual cash are totally separate events, and should not be confused with one another.

I wish you luck, but as noted, the costs involved are such that it isn't easy. FWIW, I think most people who track their cars, and want some level of 911 hotrod, do the work themselves, or plan the build and act as a GC while it undergoes its transformation.

I've got tens of thousands of $$, literally, into my Targa. Easily $35K. She's a great and capable car. But, I'm realistic that I'd be lucky to get mid-teens for her. She's a labor of love.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:57 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,107 Likes on 792 Posts

Bottom line 911s of our generation are an enthusiasts market, and it is a very limited market at that. Many people have said they would love to buy my car but would not be able to afford the upkeep as they would not have a clue if anything went wrong. This is a very realistic view that people hold.
I know these cars pretty well i think, and the costs that go into them. I think to buy a "cheap" 911 , fix it up and try to sell it for a profit with a fancy non original body kit on it is a recipe for financial disaster.

I really do hope you prove me wrong as you seam very enthusiastic. But if you want to stick body kits on cars , stick to Miatas, cheap and plentiful.
The only financial thing I think that is worse than pouring a ton of money into an old 911 hoping to make money ..... is of couse .... pouring about half as much into a 944.....

sorry ....
Old 12-16-2008, 01:35 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Lots and lots of very good advice here. I have gone down the restoration route with a 944 S that started out decent, but with a few issues and am well on the way to having what will be a very, very nice car, but at a staggering price - and I have done all the work (even paint) myself.

I probably could have done certain things more economically and I know I've replaced a few things that didn't really need to be (just while I was in there), but even stripping that away, I am still way upside down. I justify this to myself as it has been a labor of love and wonderful learning experience, but taking so-so condition Porsches and turning them around is expen$ive...

I am being a lot more reasonable with the 911...
Old 12-16-2008, 03:25 PM
944J
Banned

thanks guys, i'll have to examine the numbers, i agree with what you are all saying.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:47 AM
vinceqn
Advanced

I was just looking at this car on craigslist. I was looking for something similar but i had my doubts, after reading this thread it pretty much scared me away from this car, hope the seller isnt reading

Quick Reply: 1977 911 value?