Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

$75...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:49 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default $75...

So, how many of you have bought gasoline recently, and have had the pump shut off at exactly $75.00 (this applies to pay at the pump with a credit card)? And then you climb into your car, start it, and find that it's not full. Well, here's the story. If someone fills their vehicle (nowadays it's easy to go over the $100 mark) and they use a stolen credit card to pay the bill, when the dust settles the credit card company will only reimburse the merchant a total of $75 per instance. Well, that has changed, credit card companies have raised their merchant protection limit to $125.00, and we can now "fill" our cars again, without shutting off the pump, hanging up the nozzle, finding a different credit card, and starting the process all over. Ain't that great - I just can't wait to take my F 150, with its 30 gallon tank, over to the local Chevron and fill it up. Not!
Old 07-16-2008, 11:59 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of the dang pumps around here used to stop at $50 (a year or so ago...half a tank), then they went to 75 (mostly on debit cards), but now they're beyond that. How far, I don't know since my F150 only holds 25 gallons and the most I've maxed out is with a $97 fillup...good times for sure . I don't EVEN want to think about my Dodge van (big 'ole tank) that sits unused in my driveway...

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 07-16-2008, 12:01 PM
RS38
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

only to let you know:
in germany it costs 153 Euros = 242 U.S. dollars to get your 90l GT2 / Cayenne filled with 98 octance fuel.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:06 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

I had to fill up the my VW over the weekend outside of Roxboro NC (seemed like the scene from deliverance) and the pumps were not digital, would not read anything over $2.99.

The station had a note posted to pay double of what was shown on the pump.

Are they drilling gas tanks to steal gas in CA?

Two of my co-workers lost almost a tank full at the local mall this weekend.

John
Old 07-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Pete, now I want to go to the pump and try it out.
Not!

With our Ford E-350 15 passenger you don't know how many times on a BMX road trip we have had to get the $75.00 max on one card only to have to start over with another card or drive across the street to fill it up on the same card. Total pain.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GothingNC
Are they drilling gas tanks to steal gas in CA?
John
Oh, yeah! Punching tanks is one thing, but in Bakersfield it's gotten to crisis proportion for the local farmers. They all have huge diesel tanks on their property, and the thieves have figured out that it's an easy buck. The losses have been recently estimated at about $250,000, and some farmers have actually installed infrared equipment with motion detectors, etc. Too bad they don't set up AK-47s to strafe the area when somebody violates the perimeter beam!

Douglas: The first time it happened to me I thought that the truck was full, the second time I thought, "I'm not coming back to this station again!" Then I finally figured it out, and tried to do a continuation fill with the same credit card, Well, that sure didn't work, and I can't print what I thought for that one!
Old 07-16-2008, 04:02 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Pete,

CNN had a feature about the farmers in the mid-west losing diesel to thieves to be sold on the black market to truckers for $2 a gallon. Some even came equipped with blow torches to cut down the chainlink fence. Local police dept does not have the man power to patrol the rural areas so the farmers are arming themselves to guard the tanks(seems like Mad Max is becoming a reality)

Maybe a dummy fuel tank rigged with some C-4 will be a good deterrent

John
Old 07-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GothingNC

Maybe a dummy fuel tank rigged with some C-4 will be a good deterrent

John
I love it !!!
Old 07-16-2008, 04:19 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I have been lucky enough to just start over with the same card, or unlucky...depends on how you look at it. I am lucky that my truck costs are all on my company.

We really need to have stiffer penalties for thieves! Fry them all! Esspecially the illegal ones. LMAO @ you know who.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:21 PM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

It's to get you guys back for having such cheap Porsches!!!
Old 07-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I wish I could link to an email I got that shows exactly where all our gas money is going. But like most things, I don't know how...

here is a bad cut and paste W/O pictures:

AMERICANS SHOULD PONDER AS THEY PUMP GAS IN THEIR SUV'S AND SPEED DOWN THE HIGHWAY IN THEIR CARS............................

HERE'S ONE PLACE INS THE MIDDLE EAST WHERE YOUR GAS MONEY GOES.............Dubai

Dubai in 1990

The same street in 2003

Last year

The madness. Dubai is said to currently have 15-25% of all the world's cranes.

The Dubai Waterfront. When completed it will become the largest waterfront development in the world .

All of this was built in the last 5 years, including that island that looks like a palm tree.

The Palm Islands in Dubai . New Dutch dredging technology was used to create these massive man made islands.

They are the largest artificial islands in the world and can be seen from space.

Three of these Palms will be made with the last one being the largest of them all.

Upon completion, the resort will have 2,000 villas, 40 luxury hotels, shopping centers, movie theaters, and many other facilities. It is expected to support a population of approximately 500,000 people. It is advertised as being visible from the moon.

The World Islands . 300 artificially created islands in the shape of the world

Each island will have an estimated cost of $25-30 million.

The Burj al-Arab hotel in Dubai . The world's tallest hotel.

Considered the only '7 star' hotel and the most luxurious hotel in the world.

It stands on an artificial island in the sea.

Hydropolis, the world's first underwater hotel.

Entirely built in Germany and then assembled in Dubai , it is scheduled to be completed by 2009 after many delays.

The Burj Dubai. Construction began in 2005 and is expected to be complete by 2008.

At an estimated height of over 800 meters, it will easily be world's tallest building when finished.

It will be almost 40 percent taller than the current tallest building, the Yaipei 101.

This is what downtown Dubai will look like around 2008-2009.

More than 140 stories of the Burj Dubai have already been completed.

It is already the world's tallest man made structure and it is still not scheduled to be completed for at least another year.

The Al Burj. This will be the centerpiece of the Dubai Waterfront. Once completed it will take over the title of the tallest structure in the world from the Burj Dubai.

?

Recently it was announced that the final height of this tower will be 1200 meters.

That would make it more than 30 percent taller than the Burj Dubai and three times as tall as the Empire State Building .

The Burj al Alam, or The World Tower . Upon completion it will rank as the world's highest hotel. It is expected to be finished by 2009. At 480 meters it will only be 28 meters shorter than the Taipei 101.

The Trump International Hotel & Tower, which will be the centerpiece of one of the palm islands, The Palm Jumeirah.

Dubailand. Currently, the largest amusement park collection in the world is Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, which is also the largest single-site employer in the United states with 58,000 employees.

Dubailand will be twice the size.

Dubailand will be built on 3 billion square feet (107 miles^2) at an estimated $20 billion price tag. The site will include a purported 45 mega projects and 200 hundred other smaller projects.

Dubai Sports City . A huge collection of sports arenas located in Dubailand.

Currently, the Walt Disney World Resort is the #1 tourist destination in the world. Once fully completed, Dubailand will easily take over that title since it is expected to attract 200,000 visitors daily.

The Dubai Marina is an entirely man made development that will contain over 200 highrise buildings when finished. It will be home to some of the tallest residential structures in the world.

The completed first phase of the project is shown.

Most of the other high rise buildings will be finished by 2009-2010.

The Dubai Mall will be the largest shopping mall in the world with over 9 million square feet of shopping and around 1000 stores. It will be completed in 2008.

Ski Dubai , which is already open, is the largest indoor skiing facility in the world.

This is a rendered image of another future indoor skiing facility that is being planned.

Some of the tallest buildings in the world, such as Ocean Heights and The Princess Tower, which will be the largest residential building in the world at over a 100 stories, will line the Dubai Marina .

The UAE Spaceport would be the first spaceport in the world if construction ever gets under way.

And ... The Dubai Metro system, once completed, will become the largest fully automated rail system in the world. The Dubai World CentralInternational Airport will become the largest airport in size when it is completed. It will also eventually become the busiest airport in the world, based on passenger volume. There are more construction workers in Dubai than there are actual citizens.

KINDA GIVES ONE AN INCENTIVE TO CONSERVE DOESN'T IT????

Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it.
It might even be good for us! The Saudis are boycotting American
goods. We should return the favor.

An interesting thought is to boycott their GAS.

Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money
into the coffers of Saudi Arabia . Just buy from gas companies that
don't import their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I
fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to
kill me, my family, and my friends.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil
companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies
import Middle Eastern oil.

These companies import Middle Eastern oil:

Shell............................. 205,742,000 barrels

Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels

Exxon/Mobil...... ......... 130,082,000 barrels

Marathon/Speedway... 117,740,000 barrels

Amoco............................62,231,000 barrels

Citgo gas is from South America , from a Dictator who hates
Americans. If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to
over $18 BILLION! (oil is now $130-$140 a barrel).

Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:

Sunoco..................0 barrels

Conoco..................0 barrels

Sinclair..................0 barrels

BP/Phillips.............0 barrels

Hess.................... ..0 barrels

ARCO.....................0 barrels

All of this information is available from the Department of Energy
and each is required to state where they get their oil and how much
they are importing.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas
buyers. It's really simple to do.

Now, don't wimp out at this point . . . keep reading and I'll explain
how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I'm sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send
it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300).....and those 300 send it to
at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) .. and so on, by the time the
message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached
over THREE M ILLION consumers !!!!!!! If those three million get
excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million
people will have been contacted!

If it goes one level further, you guessed it . . THREE HUNDRED
MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. How long would
all that take?
Old 07-16-2008, 04:40 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Man,

we invaded the wrong country

John
Old 07-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Ya, I gotta go to work...Would someone please bring this back around to Porsches as Spence was trying to do...
Old 07-16-2008, 04:48 PM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

You know the driver who picked me up from the airport (DC) said, "We went over there and fought them and it's now (fuel/oil) more expensive than ever, what was the point of that?".

Hmmmmmm
Old 07-16-2008, 05:01 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Doug,

The UAE is a very stable country that is trying very hard for economic diversification, not all their riches come from oil, it comes from investments and foreign investors as well. That being said they are still the fifth largest oil exporter.

-matt

Quick Reply: $75...