ditch the tail?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 06:49 PM
muis
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ditch the tail?

Hi,
This is my first post here; I don't own a Porsche just yet, but am looking for one very hard.
I found this nice looking 911, but it has a big whale tail. Now, I think that's just cool, but for the wife it is a non-starter. How difficult is it to ditch the tail? Just put in another grill, cover the holes and repaint the deck lid? Should I be worried about anything else after it is removed?
Any ideas/thoughts are appreciated.
Theo
Old 03-02-2008, 07:10 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Most people just buy another complete deck lid and paint it. Just easier that way because I do believe there are some holes that are drilled. It also allows you to sell the tail on the classifieds with a lid, the fetch a few hundred.

More details about the car you are looking at! Pics?
Old 03-02-2008, 09:16 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

+1 on Neris post ... also it gives you the ability to flip back and forth . i'd like to see pics .. personally the Turbo tail on a sc or Carrera is not my cup of tea .. But a nice Carrera or duck tail .. now your talkin'
Old 03-02-2008, 10:05 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Ice and Neri are right. Unmolested lids are fairly easy to find. Keep the other setup in case you decide to track it every once and awhile. You might think it looks a bit over the top but the extra down force is nice to have going through a high speed kink.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:52 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also like the look of a 911 without a tail. I think the lines are classic (just my $.02). If the car is a good one I wouldn't walk away from it just because it has a tail.

Also, welcome to RENNLIST!!!!!
Old 03-03-2008, 07:29 AM
muis
Intermediate

thanks a lot guys. Sounds like it shouldn't be a deal killer. So far I have ignored cars with a tail in my search. I guess I shouldn't be doing that.
No pics yet. Only pics when there is one in the driveway. Don't want to jinx anything.
tk
Old 03-03-2008, 08:05 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Ya, we just wanted to see pictures because we like staring at porsches. Also if you post pictures of a potential (or the add) we might be able to spot certain things. Maybe it's a turbo tail and not a whale tail? Stuff like that.

Cheers!
-matt
Old 03-03-2008, 08:33 AM
muis
Intermediate

oops... Yeah, it's a tail that you see on the Turbo's, with a curved side. Does that make a difference?

There are too many pictures here already; it's driving me crazy! (pun intended)
I want one soooo bad :-)
tk
Old 03-03-2008, 08:47 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

well there are two major types of tails. That one is the turbo tail. I like the Carrera tail better.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:59 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Muis, make sure you have a read through a book called 'the used 911 story' by Pete Zimmerman. I could help you save 1000s by not making a mistake.

Turbo tail you might have more trouble selling, I don't think they are as popular as the whale tail. This isn't a turbo you are buying is it?
Old 03-03-2008, 09:50 PM
muis
Intermediate

I need a new copy of PZ's book, mine is worn out.
Wish I was looking for a Turbo; at the asking price it would be a steal. I like the idea of having the tail in the garage, and swapping it out when it's track time, or just when you want a different looking car for a while.
I'll keep you all posted.
thanks again,
tk
Old 03-05-2008, 12:12 AM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by muis
Hi,
This is my first post here; I don't own a Porsche just yet, but am looking for one very hard.
I found this nice looking 911, but it has a big whale tail. Now, I think that's just cool, but for the wife it is a non-starter. How difficult is it to ditch the tail? Just put in another grill, cover the holes and repaint the deck lid? Should I be worried about anything else after it is removed?
Any ideas/thoughts are appreciated.
Theo
It's called a rear spoiler. Keep it. One day you'll appreciate what your car can do. And then you'll need it.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

As some airplane guru on here once told me, the rear tail is actually a wing, not a spoiler. A spoiler is designed to spoil the air near the airplane wing to create more drag and reduce speed. The Porsche wing is designed to produce downforce on the rear of the car at high speed. Any time there is a wing installed on the back, there should also be a wing under and in the front of the car. It's not easy to see, but it should be there. So if you remove the rear wing, you should consider what happens at the front of the car.

Some people like the wing, some don't. I don't like superficial things that provide no value, so when I see a huge wing on a car that does nothing but attract attention, I don't care for it. But when I see a huge wing on a car and that wing is there for a purpose and actually works, I dig it. The Porsche wing works.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:47 PM
diamondcarrera
Instructor

+1 for murphyslaw1978
it is of EXTEREME importance that you remove the chin spoiler (at the front) if you remove the rear wing. Porsche did so at the factory on all rear wing delete models - which tells us that the car is designed to work at the full potential and the safest with the rear wing and chin spoiler fitted to the car, it was standard equipment and was an option to delete.
I also think that Porsche required a disclaimer to be signed for rear deletes when sold new - due to the dramatic handling changes it made to the car.....
on another point Porsche also got all UK buyers to sign a disclaimer for anyone buying a 3.2 speedster due to the roof not being watertight!! (off topic 'ish I know but connected tenuously esp after reading the other thread on the sale of a nice speedster)
Old 03-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Muis:

Where are you? Please add your location to your profile. The tail discussion has raged here and over on the Pelican board for years. Turbo-bodied cars, absolutely. Everything else looks better without, IMHO. As has already been stated, $$ wise you're better off to sell the decklid with the tail and buy a used decklid. FWIW, I've read that the tail (or wing) only works at very high speeds.

Cheers,

Paul.

Quick Reply: ditch the tail?