Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

ditch the tail?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

There are several variations to the tail that can make them easier to live with. Personally, I think the turbo tail is a bit over the top. It's sort of like crying out,--look at me. If you drive much over 75 mph you really want to keep some sort of tail. I think the most beautiful tail was the early turbo Carrera tail that was replaced in 1978 when the intercooled 930 superseded the non-intercooled one. (Was also an early 934 RSR tail) See pic:
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2008, 12:05 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a spare lid for normal driving and to get your wife's approval. If you never push the car you won't need a tail. A 912 model gets better mileage which may acheive another one of your wife's goals.

Later you may become a devout driving enthusiast and want one of the tails that Porsche discovered can make these cars world class performers.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I've got a 3.8RS wing on my C2 race car, but prefer left the electric spoiler on my C2 street car. Love the classic lines of the air cooled 911. Fwiw, I never felt any difference with the wing on the track. I've spoken with others who share my experience. I think in order to really 'feel' a difference, the wing has to be raised higher to the roofline, which the PCA rules do not allow. However, I LOVE the look on the race car
Old 03-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
As some airplane guru on here once told me, the rear tail is actually a wing, not a spoiler. A spoiler is designed to spoil the air near the airplane wing to create more drag and reduce speed. The Porsche wing is designed to produce downforce on the rear of the car at high speed. Any time there is a wing installed on the back, there should also be a wing under and in the front of the car. It's not easy to see, but it should be there. So if you remove the rear wing, you should consider what happens at the front of the car.

Some people like the wing, some don't. I don't like superficial things that provide no value, so when I see a huge wing on a car that does nothing but attract attention, I don't care for it. But when I see a huge wing on a car and that wing is there for a purpose and actually works, I dig it. The Porsche wing works.
Originally Posted by diamondcarrera
+1 for murphyslaw1978
it is of EXTEREME importance that you remove the chin spoiler (at the front) if you remove the rear wing. Porsche did so at the factory on all rear wing delete models - which tells us that the car is designed to work at the full potential and the safest with the rear wing and chin spoiler fitted to the car, it was standard equipment and was an option to delete.
I believe it is the other way around. You don't want to run a tail mod without the front chin spoiler. You can run the front spoiler with no wing.

These are not for looks, they are highly effective in cutting back lift at speeds at or above 100mph. There is a HUGE difference in driving comfort at speed with a tail.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:42 PM
diamondcarrera
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ed hi
you are correct about the amount of lift at speeds, which are of 150mph lift with tail is 17kg without tail is 180kg.
(also the combination reduced drag by 2%)
And that you need to run a chin with a tail BUT equally you need to run a tail with a chin because.....
Porsche found that running the chin without the tail caused massive turnulance under the car casuing serious oversteer... (info taken from Tont Corletts book Carrera 3.2 the last of the evolution)
cheers
Old 03-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Well, you can't believe everything you read...including my posts. But, I've run mine a bit with the chin and no tail with no ill effects.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:32 PM
diamondcarrera
Instructor

Did you have the duck tail on?
Old 03-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I've had a stock lid, a Carrera tail and the duck on at various times. I've sold the Carrera tail, it weighed 40lbs more than the Duck. I have run with the chin spoiler and a stock lid.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Well, you can't believe everything you read...including my posts. But, I've run mine a bit with the chin and no tail with no ill effects.

Not smart. And dangerous. Don't ever track it with that setup.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan in Florida
Not smart. And dangerous. Don't ever track it with that setup.
Here's the drum roll, now the rolling of eyes.

Again, the bad combo is the rear tail with no chin. The other way around isn't the dangerous setup.

FWIW, it was like that for a short while when it got painted. I won't track without a tail, period.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Here's the drum roll, now the rolling of eyes.

Again, the bad combo is the rear tail with no chin. The other way around isn't the dangerous setup.

FWIW, it was like that for a short while when it got painted. I won't track without a tail, period.
Gee, this eerily reminds me of "some of the worst advice heard on Rennlist in a long time." Maybe at this point it would be good to acknowledge that everyone has a different opinion of what is dangerous, nominal, acceptable or safe, and nothing is completely black nor white.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Gee, this eerily reminds me of "some of the worst advice heard on Rennlist in a long time." Maybe at this point it would be good to acknowledge that everyone has a different opinion of what is dangerous, nominal, acceptable or safe, and nothing is completely black nor white.
Dude, advising someone to drive a track event with stuck throttle or bad brakes or whatever YOU offered up on that thread is THE worst advise I'd ever heard in a long time and is apples to oranges here. My observation here is based on experience, and the fact that the known DANGEROUS condition is the wing with no chin spoiler causing a light front end and loss of steering control.

I'm not stupid enough to advise someone to enter a track event with a known mechanical problem. But thanks for reminding me of your ignorance! Why not hang out on the Harley forum?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:06 PM
muis
Intermediate

Thanks for all the answers guys. I'm glad my original post generated some good discussion.
After all this, I ended up buying a car without a tail anyway, thanks to a fellow Rennlister.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:19 PM
diamondcarrera
Instructor

Interisting a stock car with no tail..... and no chin the way Porsche intended!

Quick Reply: ditch the tail?