Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Power and Performance 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Rice
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power and Performance 3.2

After buying the 911 3.2, did you ever feel disappointed in the power and wished you had bought a 964, 993 or even a 996?

I am in the beginning phases of buying one. Actually, I am learning by reading and driving when possible different cars. I have driven an early 70's, the 3.2, 964 and 996. (I have never had the opportunity to drive the 993 and think for me it is out of the price range or more like I am not willing to pay over $30k for it.) Main purpose for purchasing is that ever since I was a little boy, I wanted a porsche. I remember telling my mom, "I will have a porsche one day." However, I live in the South and need airconditioning so anything before 1987 or so is out of the question. I know the difference in the cars and the way they perform. I love each of them in a different way, just like like I do my children. They are all unique. I do feel the 996 drives like a toyota so to me, it is not as fun.

My main question is: Did you ever feel like you made the wrong decision and wished you would of purchased a more powerful car?
Old 02-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Rice
Instructor

Also, it will not be a everyday use car. I will drive on sunny days once or twice a week. Thanks
Old 02-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Jaws911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya know , I sometimes do - and then I think "WTH do those guys w/ twin turbos do"? - I mean this car ('86 cab) is fast enuf to get me in trouble - where the hell do they get to drive those TT's or GT3's out of second gear (except the track) and not get busted. I guess if I had something newer/ faster I'd be plenty happy, but , I do get a kick out of flogging this car w/o going 100mph... rationalisation or whatever, FWIW, thats where I am...
Old 02-24-2008, 11:37 PM
ruckmjr
Advanced

I do feel the 996 drives like a toyota
I didn't know a Toyota could flog most cars on the road.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Rice
Instructor

Jaws911,

Good comment. I started a hobby of testing cars at car dealerships about a year ago. Got bannned from a one dealership, but I drove a C6 Z06. Sh@#! It was so fast. Fastest thing I have ever driven. The only disappointment was that I would drive it to 65 in first gear, shift into second, and have no where to go because of speed limits and traffic. It was similiar to being stuck in a traffic jam. But, it was fast.

I did have one question, I have to dress in a suit and dress shoes for work. I found the clutch a Bit#$ with dress shoes. Any suggestions on how to make it a little less stiff or am I sounding like a Pu$%#

Thanks
Old 02-24-2008, 11:40 PM
Rice
Instructor

I didn't mean the 996 really drives like a toyota. Just a matter of speach in that it is so easy to drive. Not to say a toyota is easy to drive. Alright, I'll shut up. I think you know what I mean.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Scott Lenger
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a lot of cars out there that will smoke the 3.2 in a 1/4 mile sprint but not too many that are as rewarding to toss around. If I were driving every day in heavy traffic I might go for the civility of a 993 w/ power steering, ABS, improved AC - But for a visceral experience the 3.2 Carrera is hard to beat...maybe not as fast but more fun by far......and it does have enough power to get you in plenty of trouble.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:29 AM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

I used to have a 964 and replaced it with a 85 widebody. At first I missed the speed of the 3.6 but now I am very happy with the 3.2. It makes you work harder and you have more fun at lower speeds. In Canada they throw you in jail if you are 50k over the speed limit and thats easy to do in a newer Porsche. Just like drinking and driving became unacceptable behaviour so is speeding off the track. I think the car with the best "fun factor" wins the day. I could afford a much newer car but I used to have a picture of a widebody 911 on my wall as a young lad and always wated one so when my fiance departed with my 964 I fulfilled my dreams. The new cars I find are very little fun to drive at lower speeds and I agree with the Toyota comparison not only in feel but in dashboard style. Maybe more like Lexus. They are to good technically for street driving safely, to many Idiots out there. Just one mans thoughts.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:59 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Some good points made and I agree with the comments about the 3.2 giving a more enjoyable experience despite being slower than later models. My first 911 was a 964C2 then I mover to a 964 turbo then back to a 3.2. Of them all, the 3.2 is the most enjoyable to drive on a clear B-road for a few simple reasons.
1 - the lack of power steering (I thought my other 911s' steering was great until I drove the 3.2)
2 - the fact that it is actually slower means I can get much closer to the limits on the public road without being dangerous (could never do this in the turbo)
3 - the fact that it is a more difficult car to drive (particularly with the 915 box) means it is much more enjoyable to master
So, to the OP, I say go for the older model - you won't regret it. I miss my turbo considerably - but more for the overall joy of ownership rather than the driving experience itself.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:43 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

The 964 and 993 will get you into arrest me now speeds much quicker - the 3.2 takes a little longer getting there.

What you feel on the street - is totally different than what you get at the track. Taking a 3.2 to the track is like taking your dog to the park and taking off the leash - woo woo. Only then will you realize what the car is capable of usually only limited by your sense of self preservation.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

If you are price sensitive at all (re: your sub-30K comment) - I would definitely stay away from 993s and 996s. You could probably get into a decent one of these cars for sub-30K, but maintenance costs are pricey and you will quickly be north of 30K. You could get a decent 964 for low 20's, but again, the maintenance costs for these cars are more like the 993/996 and repair costs can quickly soar, especially if you're not doing the work yourself.

Do yourself a favor, take your time, talk to local folks and find someone with a 3.2 that has had the right suspension mods, is chipped, and has a nice aftermarket exhaust (the only stereo you will need) and see what you think then...
Old 02-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,712 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by Rice
...My main question is: Did you ever feel like you made the wrong decision and wished you would of purchased a more powerful car?...
Not on the road, but on the track - yes.

If you think about it, 217 hp is not much. I didn't like the early Boxsters for that reason. If you like power, you're going to have to pay for it. An early 996 is doable for under $30k, or you can try to get a 930.

On the flip side to that coin, you can rev these engines up all day long and drop down a gear, making these cars appear to have much more torque than they actually do. You just have to drive these cars harder to get any speed out of them, but that is the fun part.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:29 PM
diamondcarrera
Instructor

Get a 3.2 get it set up right and then eat the 964/993 boys for breakfast.... LOL
A well set up Carrera 3.2 will do this - I know !!
Old 02-25-2008, 06:49 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Well I know you didnt ask the 3.0 guys, but I answer....nope, not at all.
I bought exactly what I wanted, and have had no regrets about power.
Each of the 911's have their own personality, so the choice is all up to you.
My car might only be a 3.0 but I prefer the way it feels compaired to newer 911's.

My friend and neighbor has a 2003 TT x50 with a few mods. The thing is a torque beast. These guys never seem to have enough power. I can hear my neighbor a few miles away when he is coming and going....he does 150+ mph blasts. But he already has the cops on the look out for his car.

I never seem to get tired or bored of my car....I only wish I had more safe places to drive it hard....and I do drive my car hard.....and it loves it!

You say you live in the South and need AC, but you only say you will drive it once or twice a week. I live in Florida and I have perfect working ac. It has a new compressor...but I never turn it on...not even in the summer. Except for when the wife is in the car and she does not want her hair to blow. I bou7ght my car to enjoy for what it was...not to ruin the 'feel" with ac, closed windows, radio on. I love the smell of this old German just the way it is.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:02 PM
sagolfer
Cruisin'

Excellent subject. I’m interested in replies from long time owners as well. As a brand new (5 weeks) old Porsche owner here are my thoughts. My early first impressions of my '86 Targa is that it's a go cart with a much bigger engine. Even passengers in my car feel I’m going faster than I am. Because of speed limits, I wanted to get my fun going 0-75 or on the winding roads under 50 MPH (usually for short spurts because of other traffic). Good pickup and handling were my top priorities and the ’86 provides plenty of both. It’s a fun car. So, top speed really doesn’t matter to me, right now. It could change with time, we will see.

Quick Reply: Power and Performance 3.2