Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Wanted: Cab for the summer

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 09:14 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanted to thank everyone for all the info! I'm going to look at both the cars next week. In addition I receive a PM from a fellow Rennlister with a car for sale so we'll see where that goes.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBGUY
[

A friend of mine has had a 1987 since new in Salt lake City UT. He drives it year round and they salt the roads a fair amount- he has not had any corrosion issues and thinks the 911 is very well rustproofed with the galvanized steel.
+1! And they are pretty darn good in the snow as well. Heaters on these 3.2s work very well (almost too well).
Old 02-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by 993-C4S
Great. Thanks.

I'm having a tough time deciding here. I drive a Mercedes E500 as my daily driver. I like the car, I've been driving a Benz as my DD for a long time, I'm just not in love with it. I don't need the space and quite frankly I'm bored with it.

So, lately I've been thinking about just ditching the Benz all together and getting something I really enjoy. I have my '97 993 C4S that's my weekend toy (put about 3500 miles a year on her). I have a nice 4 Wheel drive for bad winter days. I'm retired, so no real commute to speak of.

I'm torn between the toy and fun of a late '80s 911 cab vs. the more practical late '80s 560 Mercedes Cab. I know the Mercedes is just about bullet proof. Just not sure if it will be as much fun.

Scratch that, I know it won't be as much fun, I'm just having trouble getting rid of my practical side.
There are some downsides to having an 80's 911 when it comes to being practical:

1.) Only room for 2 people
2.) Limited luggage space (no large objects)
3.) Poor air conditioning

These are the only 3 reasons not to get a 911 for practicality, IMO. Otherwise, they are reliable, handle well in all conditions, and are fine year-round as daily drivers.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:16 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 993-C4S
Wanted to thank everyone for all the info! I'm going to look at both the cars next week. In addition I receive a PM from a fellow Rennlister with a car for sale so we'll see where that goes.
Thanks again to all for the help. After much soul searching and deliberation I ended up going completely outside of what I had originally posted.

Purchased today, just in time for spring.. CLK 430 cab with AMG sport package.

I know it's not a Porsche, but I have enough trouble as it is trying to decide which one to drive. I thought getting a different marque might help the cause.

Can't thank everyone enough for all their help and information regarding an SC or Carrera cab. I still see one in my future, just not quite yet.
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2008, 02:21 AM
bleachii
Advanced

Congrats 993-C4S.....But.....

I just read through this entire thread and it was like reading a really good book with a bad ending. j/k

Guts to you though for coming back on a posting your purchase! Surely you will enjoy your new ride.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:32 AM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I paid $29k for a 89 911 Cab with 44,000 miles. No stories, good packet of records and well kept - very orginal - all panels have bar code labels. Drove her home from Kansas City to Los Angeles. No problems yet other than fixing an a/c leak and routine maintenance (valve adjustment).

Quick Reply: Wanted: Cab for the summer