Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Wanted: Cab for the summer

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 09:20 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both of them look good but pictures do lie. Are you planning to eyeball them? Will they agree to an outside independent ppi?

The 83 has had the head studs done which makes it bullet proof. Dash is starting to buckle at the vent.

I like that white cab too although burgundy is not my favorite interior. 15" Fuchs though & rubber is getting tougher to find. Hmmm.

Ian
Old 02-21-2008, 09:20 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBGUY
Both are nice- I REALLY prefer the G50, but that is up to you. I paid about $25.5 k
14 months ago for an 87 cab with 33000 miles in pristine condition.
Thanks for the info. I'm not married to 915 or G50. I had a '73 911 and enjoyed the 915
Old 02-21-2008, 09:23 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by imcarthur
Both of them look good but pictures do lie. Are you planning to eyeball them? Will they agree to an outside independent ppi?

The 83 has had the head studs done which makes it bullet proof. Dash is starting to buckle at the vent.

I like that white cab too although burgundy is not my favorite interior. 15" Fuchs though & rubber is getting tougher to find. Hmmm.

Ian
Thanks Ian,

They said yes to outside PPI. I have a very nice pair of 15" Fuchs in the garage just waiting for the right car and I'm not too concerned with tires.

I'm just north of Boston, so it's only a couple hour drive for me.

I'll probably go down and take a look and a drive. Still struggling with value.

Not a huge fan of the burgandy either, but tripple black in a cab can be tough on a hot day!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 09:37 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

I still use 15s with Toyos & love them.

I don't know about the color-matched speaker grill covers??? They would have to go. Nice that it's manual top so you don't have to worry about fixing that nightmare.

Bear in mind a low mileage car is often due for a surge of work. Discs, clutch, a bunch of rubber. You can see my 4 year list for my 62K car Ownership Soon to be added: ball joints, Elephant front A-arm bushings, 3 cases Brad Penn Oil, rear brake lines . . .

Ian
Old 02-21-2008, 09:41 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

actually the white with burgandy is much better in person (color wise) than in pictures.

The best piece of advice I can give you when looking is try and find one with a manual top. The power top was put on as an afterthought for Porsche to compete with mercedes - it's problematic and very expensive to fix. In one case I have seen the carnage first had of one of the power tops jamming and ripping out the b pillar support. it was ugly
Old 02-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Give the white one a look. The dual exhaust and chin spoiler make me think it was a toy and the manual cab has been a big plus for me. Burgandy will look much better in person than in a digital picture. It's a color the camera and computer monitor don't know what to do with. (ain't red or brown) I bet you could get it at $23,000. Mine was listed at $23,000 and I got it at $20,000 with 54,000 miles on the clock 14 months ago. Check for oil consumption and enjoy.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by 993-C4S
Ian,

I've been looking for a while, so I'm hesitant to post it, but what the hell. If I found it, so can everyone else.

Here are the two I'm considering. Let the trashing begin!!!!

http://www.weissachautohaus.com/cars/071002/071002.html

http://www.weissachautohaus.com/cars/071003/071003.html
Both look good, but I prefer the white one. I think both prices are a little high. That is to be expect when purchasing from a dealer since they have to make money on the sale. When you buy from a Rennlister or PCA owner, they just don't want to lose money.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:57 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Both look good, but I prefer the white one. I think both prices are a little high. That is to be expect when purchasing from a dealer since they have to make money on the sale. When you buy from a Rennlister or PCA owner, they just don't want to lose money.
I would prefer to buy from a Rennlister or private sale, just not finding much for sale.

I notice you are in Chicago. Do you drive yours at all in the winter. Look at your avatar I would say yes. If so, how is it? Are they generally well winterized and rustproofed?

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:39 PM
MTBGUY
Advanced

Nice that it's manual top so you don't have to worry about fixing that nightmare.

Bear in mind a low mileage car is often due for a surge of work. Discs, clutch, a bunch of rubber. You can see my 4 year list for my 62K car Ownership Soon to be added: ball joints, Elephant front A-arm bushings, 3 cases Brad Penn Oil, rear brake lines . . .

Ian
Ditto on all this with my car...especially important to get a leakdown test and PPI to verify health of engine- many of the low mileage garage queens have the most problems with valve guides and seals and extreme oil consumption. The rubber centered clutch disc has been hopefully been replaced at some point, or you will want to.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:43 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Anyone have a good PPI checklist for 87 to 89 Carrera?
Old 02-21-2008, 11:46 PM
MTBGUY
Advanced

[
Originally Posted by 993-C4S

I notice you are in Chicago. Do you drive yours at all in the winter. Look at your avatar I would say yes. If so, how is it? Are they generally well winterized and rustproofed?

Thanks.
A friend of mine has had a 1987 since new in Salt lake City UT. He drives it year round and they salt the roads a fair amount- he has not had any corrosion issues and thinks the 911 is very well rustproofed with the galvanized steel.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:53 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

993-C4S, read some of the current posts and you will find old man neri now owns murhyslaw1978's car. it's a sad but true story.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:54 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MTBGUY
[

A friend of mine has had a 1987 since new in Salt lake City UT. He drives it year round and they salt the roads a fair amount- he has not had any corrosion issues and thinks the 911 is very well rustproofed with the galvanized steel.

Great. Thanks.

I'm having a tough time deciding here. I drive a Mercedes E500 as my daily driver. I like the car, I've been driving a Benz as my DD for a long time, I'm just not in love with it. I don't need the space and quite frankly I'm bored with it.

So, lately I've been thinking about just ditching the Benz all together and getting something I really enjoy. I have my '97 993 C4S that's my weekend toy (put about 3500 miles a year on her). I have a nice 4 Wheel drive for bad winter days. I'm retired, so no real commute to speak of.

I'm torn between the toy and fun of a late '80s 911 cab vs. the more practical late '80s 560 Mercedes Cab. I know the Mercedes is just about bullet proof. Just not sure if it will be as much fun.

Scratch that, I know it won't be as much fun, I'm just having trouble getting rid of my practical side.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:18 AM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

I still use 15s with Toyos & love them.

I don't know about the color-matched speaker grill covers??? They would have to go. Nice that it's manual top so you don't have to worry about fixing that nightmare.

Ian
Ian, just looked at your ownership as well as the rest of your site. Great information. I now have the PPI I was looking for (Pete Zimmerman) and i think I'm good to go.

Anyone in the Boston area want to take a ride to CT? Or anyone in CT want to meet up at the dealer? Would love the opion of someone with more knowledge then me (which would be most). Definitely going to arrange for PPI, but if someone wants to look at her with me, I'll buy lunch!!
Old 02-22-2008, 12:24 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

https://rennlist.com/forums/members/44534-rberry951.html Russell lives outside Boston now.

Quick Reply: Wanted: Cab for the summer