Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Air Condition Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:48 AM
lfe132
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Air Condition Question

Well, I've owned my Carrera for a little over 2 years now and lovin' it. The A/C didn't work when I bought the car and still doesn't to this day. In the past 2 years or so I've only REALLY needed/wanted to use it once. It was about 95 outside, we're going to a wedding, all dressed up and the wife and I were sweating it out (should have taken her car but NOOOOO, I had to drive the Carrera.) Anyway, do you think I should just pull the damn thing out? How much weight reduction will I see? Is it even worth pull out or just disconnecting it/removing the belt?
Let me know your thoughts.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I took out everything in the engine bay. It ran much cooler right away. I think I had junk in the fins that blocked alot of air flow. I didn't mess with the smuglers box or the lines past the rear axel. It took about an hour. and must have been 45-50 pounds. The A/C blower is really the only worth while part of that system anyway.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

If you have a pristine, low-mileage example - then I would leave it as original as possible. Otherwise, sure - pull it out and lose a lot of weight. If you had a 964 or later, then I would say 'get it working.' But these 3.2 Carreras just don't have what it takes in the AC Dept.

I think you'll lose more than 50lbs by the time you drop the compressor, condenser, blower, 2nd condenser and all the hoses involved.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

If you own a pre 1990 Porsche Carrera then the a/c is fairly useless. Being that you're in SoCal and hopefully within ten miles of the beach you can probably remove it entirely and not suffer often. There is little value in the a/c they pump out for all the maintenance required.

The above it even more true if you have a pre-1985 car. The ductwork was enlarged for the MY85 cars and helps a bit, but it's still not great. Porsche finally got the whole climate control thing finally figured out,--but it took them decades to learn it.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I removed all of the A/C components (engine compartment only) from my '82 SC, after spending too much money and time trying to get it to keep up with Central CA summer temps. Hah! It not only didn't keep me cool on 100 degree F days (which is just about every day for us), it made the engine temp too high. As soon as I removed the engine lid condenser all became well...

Total weight of an A/C system with a York compressor is approximately 65 pounds, yours is probably a little less because of the rotary unit and aluminum compressor platform parts.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:49 PM
lfe132
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Pete...

If I remove the fins/tubing that are attached under the engine hood is that going to allow rain water to soak my engine? I do drive the car in the rain.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:24 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cooling vs handling

Originally Posted by douglas bray
I took out everything in the engine bay. I didn't mess with the smuglers box or the lines past the rear axel. It took about an hour. and must have been 45-50 pounds.
I'm considering doing the same thing (removing just the parts in the engine bay). Is there any "trick" to this... such as hidden hoses to plug, or electrical wiring to alter?

Or is it a straightforward unbolt it, plug the holes, and go?

My A/C actually works pretty good. But I don't need it since I had the good sense to buy a cabriolet And I had the fortune to live in Ohio (just put that in so y'all could have an easy target).

The only reason I'd keep it is to maintain the value of the car. But I think I'd rather reduce the weight and therefore reduce a little oversteer. Am I dreaming that a few pounds is going to make any real difference in handling?
Old 02-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

lfe: Nope, won't hurt a thing. The rain can get through the condenser fins as well, so a little more water will get in, but if all of your electrics are in good working order it'll be fine.

Shannon: Be sure to have the R 12 professionally removed and the system vacuumed before compressor/hose removal. Once your refrigerant hoses are disconnected it's a good thing to plug them to keep debris out (I plugged mine, then covered each open end with a Ziploc bag and secured the bags with ty-raps. When you take the condenser off the lid put a blanket under it to protect painted surfaces, that thing can scratch easily. Unless your name is really Schumi, Jenson, Sebastian or Kimi you probably will not notice a difference in handling!
Old 02-13-2008, 02:36 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Unless your name is really Schumi, Jenson, Sebastian or Kimi you probably will not notice a difference in handling!
Heck, my name isn't even Earnhart or Gordon. But I'm convinced that even imaginary differences make huge differences in handling! Just like my metal race pedals added 10 hp and about 20 nM torque to my car.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

LOL!!!
Old 02-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Just save yourself some headache and don't worry about the aluminum bracket the pump sits on. The electrical is one wire that just unplugs. You end up with one compressor, one short hose, and one condensor. The bolts that hold the condensor are the same that hold the screen on the deck lid so don't bump them off and down into the engine.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:22 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

It is funny what some guys will do ..

like watching a 250lb guy take the sound pad out of his car to save weight .. :-)
Old 02-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Sound pad? ...and I'm 225 U.S. ....and I only cut the sound pad out by the air box so I could hear the HP gained fron the K&N. / Fabspeed set up.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

YOU DID WHAT????!!!****??!!

...just kidding...
Old 02-13-2008, 07:48 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Pete, You may want to try ESPN2 on Time Warner cable....You are spending way too much time on Renn TV. It wasn't that funny. Now, my first post in this thread, that was funny.

Quick Reply: Air Condition Question