Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

purchase advise

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 12:06 AM
fastduck
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default purchase advise

Help? An '88 coupe has appeared that I really wanted many years ago but it has a few problems that I'm trying to prioritize. Both seats are heavily cracked (but not split all the way through) on the bottom bolsters. The seller (original owner) seems to think that "they drove it" and that's to be expected - "it's not a concours car". The shape of the contours in the seat bottom has also badly stretched. I don't get it, the seats out of my '87 were next to perfect with same milage. What might it cost to bring the seats back to normal?
There's another wierd thing, some paint is scraped off the rear bumper in places underneath the center reflector, suspiciously like the bumper was shoved forward and scrapped against the bolt heads under the reflector. How much of a hit can the bumper shocks take before affecting the body?
The car appears really good otherwise, I can't find evidence of repaint. And my mechanic seems to think that it's a fantastic car ('course he's not a cosmetic orientated guy).
I'm trying to prepare myself to walk away? He wants $25,000 for 88K miles. Oh, new but garbage Big O brand tires!
Any suggestions, comments will be appreciated. I haven't had a 911 for 3 years and just got the sickness again . . .
Old 12-26-2007, 01:02 AM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

I would not look long at a car that did not have the proper shoes. Someone that cant keep correct tires on a car like these....how could they have kept up with the car in general?

Seat wear = really big *** prior owner?
Old 12-26-2007, 08:01 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsixnut
I would not look long at a car that did not have the proper shoes. Someone that cant keep correct tires on a car like these....how could they have kept up with the car in general?

Seat wear = really big *** prior owner?
Hard to argue with that. The car should be close to perfect for that price and miles.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:00 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with both of the above.. too much money for the shape it's in and the likely care she's recieved.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:01 AM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by murfysflaw
I agree with both of the above.. too much money for the shape it's in and the likely care she's recieved.
+1
Old 12-26-2007, 09:06 AM
rg588911
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same problem as you are having. I fell in love and also felt the excitment of fixing a few little things to get it perfect. I saw my 88 and it looked great from 5 feet but now after spending over $10k, I know I could have found a car that had more to offer. $25k is way high for this car. I agree with the above posts in that if this guy put on some cheap shoes what else did he slack with. You have to take signs like that as the owners willingness to put lipstick on a pig. I paid $18 for mine with 54k and I should have paid $15-16. For $25 the car should be flawless. This means new clutch, solid trans, strong pulling motor, no smoke, tight and precise steering, positive feeling brakes, no stupid blemishes (like the rear bumper issue you explained) minor seat wear (someone who cared about entry and exit not a sloppy but drop on the bolster) + all the other things we all talk about on these forums like service records etc. You know deep down when it is right and I can tell you from personal experiance that if you are not certain, WALK AWAY and live another day with the $10+ grand in your pocket...
Old 12-26-2007, 09:21 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Sometimes it is difficult to walk away. I am currently looking for a car ( 911 coupe) and although these people can't sell their cars they somehow think the vechicle is worth "X" and won't budge.
I have always been the guy that budged as a buyer, no more. I'm looking at an '84, although I want an '86 no red or black, I paid a PPI and the car needs sycros, the owner and I are 1K apart and after reading Peter Zimmermans article on 915 trans rebuilds I am going to stand my ground. I feel your pain as coupes are my favorite as well but darn it, I am tired of being the fall guy. Stay tuff my friend.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:59 AM
Oldtee
Pro

88's are few and far between, but not to say another good example won't pop up tomorrow. Sounds like an average car you are going to spend money on. If tires were the only issue I would think in terms of 1/25 (1 being the cost of a new set of good tires), but the seats are another matter. It sounds like you are talking to someone who either doesn't really want to sell the car (and my Pop always told me not to buy something from someone who didn't want to sell it) or a reseller. Make a firm time limited written offer (without explanation) of what you are willing to pay for THAT car and be prepared to keep on shopping and DON'T LOOK BACK.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:50 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

yes it is sometimes dificult to walk away .. and when you think you are getting to close to a decision emotionally ........ you have us .... too much money ....
Old 12-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

It's difficult to walk away until you realize that a major repair can cost you $10k. And if you pay $5-8k more than you should for a car, then you can possibly waste $18k on a car during the first year of ownership - enough to buy a 2nd 911 Carrera.

So please don't overpay and always spend the money on a thorough PPI and you will be able to sleep at night
Old 12-27-2007, 12:19 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

I paid several thousand less for an '89 cabriolet in excellent condition. I would agree with others that the car should be near perfect for the price they're asking. Definitely good deals to be had out there. Shop in areas where folks are putting their car away for the winter. I flew to New Jersey to get mine. Good luck!
Old 12-27-2007, 06:02 PM
fastduck
Advanced

Default Thank you everyone!

Thank you all for truly great advise and experience. "Oldtee's" comment about never buying from someone who doesn't want to sell was a real kicker. I'm pretty sure the owner thinks that's it's really worth that money. So, to nip any more suspense, the car was '89(oops) not a 964, and Linen Grey Metallic/Linen. Lived in Texas/Arizona since '93, always garaged. I once saw the car (1999) at our club's yearly concour event, four months after I had purchased my '87, and it killed me since I liked the colors so much more (being stupid) than my very pristine black/dove grey car. I've asked about the car for years, esp. after my '87 was totaled, but no one remembered the car!
I've just told the owner that I'd love to buy it but since I wanted fix the things that I mentioned, and it will need a clutch soon, I couldn't afford it at 25K. No one has bought it yet so . . . Perhaps I'll call him in a month. I get to sleep tonight! Happy Holidays everyone!

john

Quick Reply: purchase advise