Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need a clutch ...dang it!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Blast away!! Mine took a bit of prying, when I did my clutch several years ago, but nothing drastic.

You're wrong not changing the sensors, IMO-the 944 version is about 1/2-2/3 the price. Kirk at Zims and I could find no difference between the parts.

Nice use of video!

Think how cool it will be laying in the water in the summer!
Old 01-03-2011, 05:17 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

How about drilling a second hole opposite the first and use a pulley puller to work it off?

Oh yeah, lotsa PB blaster or Liquid Wrench.

You should have recorded your reaction when the thing didn't fall off in your hand when the screws were removed!
Old 01-03-2011, 05:32 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Blast away!! Mine took a bit of prying, when I did my clutch several years ago, but nothing drastic.

You're wrong not changing the sensors, IMO-the 944 version is about 1/2-2/3 the price. Kirk at Zims and I could find no difference between the parts.

Nice use of video!

Think how cool it will be laying in the water in the summer!
Sensors? I am posting from the hip and assuming the crank/referance sensors, no? If so, there is a BMW application that is the same and about 2/3 - 1/2 the price of the 944 units. The lead is a bit longer/shorter than the 944, otherwise the same. Oh, rus, a 944 is a front mounted four cylinder, water cooled sports car. They are increasingly more rare and should mirror the vaulted RSA in price when the economy gets out of the tank.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:43 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
Sensors? I am posting from the hip and assuming the crank/referance sensors, no? If so, there is a BMW application that is the same and about 2/3 - 1/2 the price of the 944 units. The lead is a bit longer/shorter than the 944, otherwise the same. Oh, rus, a 944 is a front mounted four cylinder, water cooled sports car. They are increasingly more rare and should mirror the vaulted RSA in price when the economy gets out of the tank.
Hahahaha!!!! I had a hunch it was probably German at least. I kid, I kid.

I guess I gotta look at sensors. Geez, will it ever end?

*******Tech Question*********
Here's another question. I stopped by my favorite hardware store to get some map gas. I asked the old guy at the counter why my 11mm flare wrench sometimes rounds out the brake hose fittings. He goes "cause it's the wrong size". Lightbulb goes off in my head. He's right. I used to use a huge crescent wrench to get those things off, and never had one round out, ever. I use the 11mm flare wrench, and I trash two in a row. Thoughts?
Old 01-03-2011, 05:45 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Hey, the RSA thread disappeared? Like just now. I'm surprised the jack stand thread hasn't been yanked yet.

Oh, rus, a BMW is a German made sedan/cab that seems to appeal to uptight posers who want the world to know they demand the "best".
Old 01-03-2011, 05:45 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott C
I had to LOL on this one...... The man who waxes poetically about Porsche piloting drops a one-liner about brute force.

You guys saw my BFH right? I know there is an even larger one somewhere in the shed that I bought when I had to demo some concrete for a restaurant that we were building.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:51 PM
whalebird
Race Car

tech answer:
I used an 11mm flare wrench from craftsman for a while. It would start to round the flare on most jobs and I never touch it anymore. I have had better luck with a open ended wrench, but have used a crows foot flare on most occasions. Your wrench very well be flexing...mine did.
Soak those flares with a shot of PB and let them sit over night.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:00 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Originally Posted by rusnak
You guys saw my BFH right? I know there is an even larger one somewhere in the shed that I bought when I had to demo some concrete for a restaurant that we were building.
Reminds me of a cartoon, maybe tom and jerry where they sledge the F$#& out of each other and ring the bell.

Can you maybe slide a long, snug fitting pipe over the guide and wiggle it loose? Or, put the old throwout bearing over it, install a couple of short but close fit bolts in the holes, then use the old TO bearing to pull against with above suggested two jaw puller
Old 01-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Speaking of jackstands, those high $ Esco ones dry the ground too. With the money you save on sensors, you can buy a pair. I hear they ship real fast too!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:05 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Speaking of jackstands, those high $ Esco ones dry the ground too. With the money you save on sensors, you can buy a pair. I hear they ship real fast too!
I would just use a beach raft instead of a creeper.
I just picked up a few sets of polyeurathane jack stand caps from Harbor Freight by the way. Like $7 a pair, and a matching jack "pad" for my floor jack.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:17 PM
whalebird
Race Car

This is what I'm talking about rus
http://www.paragon-products.com/Refe...61.210.002.htm
Old 01-03-2011, 06:25 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

tech answer:
I used an 11mm flare wrench from craftsman for a while. It would start to round the flare on most jobs and I never touch it anymore. I have had better luck with a open ended wrench, but have used a crows foot flare on most occasions. Your wrench very well be flexing...mine did.
Soak those flares with a shot of PB and let them sit over night.
That's the EXACT same wrench that I've been using. It is a hex, not 12pt, and I think it's flexing. I will try to special order a Wright Tool one or SK perhaps from McMaster. I love your TOB idea. Those are some awesome tips. I think I have some galvanized fencepost laying around that will accept a tap and some clamp type bolts.

Yeah, but I what with my slumdog tool collection, it would be like parking a BMW in a wafflehouse parking lot.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:26 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

And a.. "Right Click" and a Save as Favorites.

Two sensors ordered, done! Thank YOU!!!!!!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:43 PM
whalebird
Race Car

YUP, same wrench. My flare(yes, 6 point) crowsfoot is S-K.
Those crappy craftsman flare wrenches have caused me much grief in lots of situations. They simply do not work, and I bought the pretty "profesional" series. They have been replaced with Snap On. I would have more faith in a cheap, knock off branded tool.
Whats wrong with Waffle House (Waffle Mouse, Awful Waffle), thats fancy digs in these parts LOL. I didn't even think you guys had awful waffles in the west. In the south east, Waffle Mouse is where the bourgeois go to achieve the butter/lard/salt trifecta.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:21 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Our local "Country Waffles" is like hamburger to your filet mignon. It's the second cousin's crazy aunt's red-headed stepchild, of the waffle house family tree.

Quick Reply: Need a clutch ...dang it!!