Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need a clutch ...dang it!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 02:21 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a great idea to replace the flywheel with a known good unit. I have, however, just cleaned up the original (if it looks good) and reused without any issue. I use a die grinder with a "rol-loc" disc to clean up any surface glazing. Maybe a good time for a "lightweight" flywheel (some may have opinions on this). A stock flywheel is fine for a street car IMHO.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:22 PM
whalebird
Race Car

maybe replace your valve guides
Old 11-01-2010, 02:51 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
maybe replace your valve guides
he's not talking about his 993 now..:-)
Old 11-01-2010, 03:18 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Bwahahahaha. A 993...sheeez, those things stay in the shop.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:20 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

oh gawd .... here we go .....
Old 11-01-2010, 03:50 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
If original, I'd maybe pull the engine oil cooler, replace the three seals at a minimum. But, I'd take it to an aircraft engine cooler shop and have it cleaned and tested.
I believe I have those three viton seals somewhere as well. Out she goes then.

Originally Posted by whalebird
It's a great idea to replace the flywheel with a known good unit. I have, however, just cleaned up the original (if it looks good) and reused without any issue. I use a die grinder with a "rol-loc" disc to clean up any surface glazing. Maybe a good time for a "lightweight" flywheel (some may have opinions on this). A stock flywheel is fine for a street car IMHO.
I wondered about this because of JF's question. Thank you for confirming. I think I'll save the stock one and clean it up as a spare.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:59 PM
whalebird
Race Car

I would second Sir Ed's suggestion not to evan consider "cutting" a flywheel or brake rotors - on any car.
Porsche factory always said it was OK to cut rotors ONCE. I'm not a believer in such at all. I've done it at customers request, but the car was always back soon for new rotors.
Benz addimatly said NO rotor turning ever-they are a wear item just like brake pads. Porsche brakes are a bit different, but the same logic applies.
I have a tube of grease with a Porsche factory part# on it...clutch pivot grease. It's worn but I will get the part# if anyone wants to order some. It was still available at last check. It is exactly like bicycle(campagnolo) grease - soft and creamy in consistancy.
good luck rusnak and Edward. Let us know what you find as your project unfolds.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:31 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I think the kit should have some of the grease. Redline Teknik also sells it. I understand it is for the pivot fork tines, but I think I want to change the pivot shaft bushings while I'm in there, lube the pivot shaft and also the guide tube with the stuff.

I think the noise I'm hearing might be the throwout bearing going out. It's not very loud at all, and I was trying to listen with my head against the ground while sitting in the car with the motor running.

Anyhow, I've got a new flywheel on order, flywheel seal, 9 bolts, clutch cable, motor mounts. I think I'll add a pilot bearing, throwout fork, maybe an omega spring but probably not, and an engine sound pad while I'm at it. I'm also going to change the brake hoses and I need to crawl under there to look at the control arm bushings. I'm stuck at work still at the computer at the moment.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:40 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Do the fork bearings for sure. Nows a good time to get that trans drain plug out rusnak
Old 11-02-2010, 01:27 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I don't have to split the gearbox case to do that? I was afraid of getting shavings in the case, or breaking off an easy out and then having a permanent hole in the drain plug.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:29 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Whale's got a good memory! It will at least be a good time to devote some attention to that. I'd say at worst case, you're looking at welding on an implement to use to turn the plug out. No time like when it's out?

PS: Can you provide us a budget, so we can keep making recommendations?
Old 11-02-2010, 02:36 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I think I'll be spending a few $K on this project, then new tires and a windshield afterwards. I got smacked by a rock last month.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:34 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Whale's got a good memory! It will at least be a good time to devote some attention to that. I'd say at worst case, you're looking at welding on an implement to use to turn the plug out. No time like when it's out?

PS: Can you provide us a budget, so we can keep making recommendations?
Yea rusnak, give us a blank check. We extrude honed Ed's wallet, now we can do the same for you.

I would certainly look at that drain plug on the bench. A little study may give way to a resolution. The weld-method may be the answer.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:37 AM
whalebird
Race Car

sorry edward for jacking your thread. Your project is on the bench here too. A good clutch discussion (and related issues)is underway. As this unfolds, maybe pedal cluster bushings and proper adjustment (the feeler gauge) can be discussed. Clutch replacement is easy and satisfying when done correctly.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:10 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I revived Edward's thread because these things are rarely unique, and wanted to piggyback on a thread that seemed similar to my issue. One question I have is whether I can just keep driving the car as I am ordering parts, or will there be damage to any non-wear items. I think the to bearing is going out, but am I risking catastrophic damage to either the engine or tranny?

The drain plug is essentially just a dot of metal now. The well sides are sheared off, so welding might be out. I think it's Pete's recommendation to use the best, most expensive easyout I can find. If that fails, it's time to rebuild the tranny cause the case is coming apart.

Quick Reply: Need a clutch ...dang it!!