Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Got pulled over-1st time in 15 yrs

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 03:52 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Angry Got pulled over-1st time in 15 yrs

I have a squeaky clean license, last ticket was for 12 over back in 1992 in NM.

I'm 3 blocks from my office in the right lane cruising with traffic and a cop flies out of no where and pulls me over.

So I ask the question - "what's the reason for pulling me over sir?" and he just asks for my license & registrationa and mentions that he will explain in a few minutes

Comes back to the car 10 minutes later and gives me a ticker for an expired registration (I thought I renewed it)

So I'm thinking it's only $25

Then below is $120 court fee

$145 and I wasn't speeding, always use my signals, courteous driver,never litter, etc and I get this stinking "Tax" bill

Should I take the day off and fight the ticket or save the "Prayer for Judgement" for a speeding ticket?

John
Old 08-14-2007, 04:01 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fight it. Since it is a "local" ticket, it is worth the court time. Back when I was in collehge, I went to court for several tickets. In each case, I was assessed the points but had the fines reduced by 50%. So the real question is this: What is your economic opportunity cost for $75?

Good luck!
-B
Old 08-14-2007, 04:04 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I don't know how you argue if the registration is expired- doesn't leave much to negotiate. Being as it's no points on the license I'd say it's not worth wasting a day fighting in my opinion...usually most of us go to court to get a ticket with points reduced and the $ is secondary as you just want to keep the license clean to keep the insurance company happy...

It does suck though- I feel bad for you $120 is steep for fees... I would call- if you plead guilty and send the money in, why would there be court fees?
Old 08-14-2007, 04:05 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
Fight it. Since it is a "local" ticket, it is worth the court time. Back when I was in collehge, I went to court for several tickets. In each case, I was assessed the points but had the fines reduced by 50%. So the real question is this: What is your economic opportunity cost for $75?

Good luck!
-B
It's the opposite for me- I always go to court to try to get the points wiped off or reduced- if the $ fine is the same I don't care.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:10 PM
911SC SKI
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man! That totally Blows!

Hard lines. Could it be a little of the green monster? Or maybe the guy is just tyring to justify himself to the world? Maybe he was a little down today, and you've helped fix that?

Rejoice, he now feels better about himself.

My philosphy is, 'Could always be Worse' (and generally is, if you don't believe it could be).

Suck it up Champ, we're here to share your pain, and we do.

May it be another 15yrs of easy cruising and minimal hassle. Amen!
Old 08-14-2007, 04:11 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by andrew911
It's the opposite for me- I always go to court to try to get the points wiped off or reduced- if the $ fine is the same I don't care.
Very true - but I'd take what I could get when in college! That money saved was put to good use for Taco Bell runs on exam nights! My 911 was a beater, so it wasn't like I had extensive funds...

Today, I'd just send in a good lawyer. I would much rather PAY to not get points on my license. How times change...

-B
Old 08-14-2007, 04:21 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Not to get off topic- I'll be quick- 94Speedster I just noticed you had a '79 targa...I had a 78 targa when I was in high shool/college. I know what you mean about $ being short in those days- I bought the car myself after working since age 13, and didn't have much money to spend on tickets back then.

When I got that first speeding ticket that hurt! It was 1989, and the 78 had the same body as a new 89 911. I had so many coats of liquid glass on that car I probably looked like some spoiled kid driving a new 911 from a distance, although it was a used 12 year old car bought for $10,000. I got a couple of tickets where I really wansn't going any faster than other traffic...oh well. A ticket could easily cost more money than I cleared after taxes in a week of work!
Old 08-14-2007, 04:33 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Hey Andrew! That is why I bought mine! I loved that the 79 body looked like an 89. I got the 911 bug as a child (Matchbox cars) and told my parents that I would buy one when I turned 16... At 19, I finally had @$15K from summer jobs, etc. over the years and found a brown w/tan 1979 SC Targa with 106K on the odometer in my home state of CT in Panorama. I did the PPI (from memory, compression was like 7/7/8/10/12/85) and I talked the guy down to $11,500 from $13,500 as he had just "upgraded" to an 85 Cab .

Anyway, the car was a tank for the 9 years that I owned it. A few years after buying it, I had it painted black and added an unbelievable sound system. The paint looked good for about 4 years, then deteriorated quickly. I spent countless hours trying to bring it back to new condition. Damn, that car was so much fun to drive. I don't miss it as it would cost a fortune to bring up to spec, but I do miss the general feel of driving the SC line of 911s... Heck, I just like looking at them...

-B
Old 08-14-2007, 04:44 PM
dvkk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew911
It does suck though- I feel bad for you $120 is steep for fees... I would call- if you plead guilty and send the money in, why would there be court fees?
Right. Send in a check for $25 with a note stating that you aren't planning to challenge it in court therefore the court fee doesn't apply.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:51 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Internet legal advice is worth exactly the price you pay for it.

Steve
84 Carrera
00 M5
Old 08-14-2007, 04:58 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Originally Posted by dvkk
Right. Send in a check for $25 with a note stating that you aren't planning to challenge it in court therefore the court fee doesn't apply.
The court fees is just a tax, gotta pay the man

One other note, I wasn't even driving the Porsche, I was in my VW Jetta.

Now the question I have, in NC you can get pulled over for speeding 40 over the limit, go to court and claim "Speedomtere equipment" error and the court will throw the ticket out. There was one guy in the paper that had 19, yes 19 tickets for excessive speed reduced to improper equipment..

http://www.newsobserver.com/politics...ry/657352.html

John
Old 08-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

John, John....all the money from the Thing and no cash for tags?
Old 08-14-2007, 05:15 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

I thought I paid the stinking $33 registration fee

My wife even thought so to. We always paid DMV online as soon as the renewals came in the mail.

Now I'll vent to my "cop" neighbor when I get home

John
Old 08-14-2007, 08:49 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Down here in my state, registration includes our 'third party' insurance. The cost is just on $500 per year. If you are caught unregistered the fine is more than $500.

However, in saying that, I'd hate to be hit and injured by some one that was uninsured!

Internet legal advice is worth exactly the price you pay for it.
+1 Steve
Old 08-14-2007, 09:54 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,745 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Speedster

Good luck!
-B
Right on! When I was in college, I could not afford for my insurance to go up, and I was making $10/hr, so a $100 ticket spent fighting for 1/2 day was $20/hr savings for me

Quick Reply: Got pulled over-1st time in 15 yrs