Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Time machine 911

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Time machine 911

we all want to be fty, but don't want to hurt our baby Porsche. If someone other than yourself finds the car super clean than it is good for the $25,000. The guys paying that price are buying memories and dreams. it isn't transportation, investment, or statis. (the 997 owners don't even look at you) it is an escape into a different world, into a different time, think Reagan, cold war, DEVO, and dolfin shorts. think gas at a buck, and girls at the ready. When you could walk up the steps to the Capital. it's Miami Vice, Dallas, and Star Wars. It's a time before the heart attacks and pacemakers, before kids and the $2,100 morgage. before $800 summer time electric bills. It was the 80's...... remember, the Russians were gonna nuke us by now. thats why a 20 year old car is worth $25,000.

the above rant got me thinking...am I the only guy to buy a 911 to re-live the 1980's? why did you buy yours?
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2007, 08:58 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default There is no substitute

Why did i buy a car older than i am?

partly due to my olders brothers' influence who've owned a few p-cars both new and old over the years

partly because its a classic. timeless lines that will never, ever date

the car has soul, something that's been lost with new cars

the driving experience, like no other

then there is the noise, oh that glorious flat-6 music

Frankly, there is no substitute
Old 08-01-2007, 09:52 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why did you buy yours?
It makes me feel good when I drive it.

(Well the first one did anyway. Don't know about this one yet )
Old 08-01-2007, 10:20 PM
veggiecar300
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been telling my friends that this vehicle is probably the second most desirable one when we were 10(ish) - the most desirable was an x-wing.

At that age both were out of reach.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:25 PM
rgrimm
Instructor

I got my driver's license in '69 and cut my teeth driving the family's 1967 Corvair--Butternut Yellow coupe, 140hp rear air-cooled engine, 4 speed on the floor. There were "Poor Man's Porsche" stickers for sale in the Corvair society's newsletter. Always wondered how the car would compare with a 911 of the same vintage.

When I found the '68 911 as a trade in on our local dealer's lot...

Kind of obvious, isn't it?
Old 08-01-2007, 10:50 PM
Katalog
Advanced

Doug - I think you are spot on, as you will see from my thread 'hi from dreamer dan'

But are we being sensible to try to live in the past? Can it be re-captured? or, for those of us who never had a 911 back then, re-created?

I don't have the answer. It is so subjective. My guess is that what the 1980 car delivers must resonate with you Now. As in bring a silly grin to your face
Old 08-02-2007, 01:14 AM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Ever since I was a very young kid (I am 40 now), I lusted after the 911 sound and beautiful looks. It was not until I was 15 did I get my chance to ride in a 1969 911s. That sealed the deal...I would own one of these "real" sports cars one day.
Even before the age of 15 I started collecting everything Porsche . I prolly have 30 unbuilt 1/24 scale Porsche that are still in unopened boxes, that I will finish when I am unable to drive.

I have always had the screen name flatsixnut or flat6nut even before I ever owned a 911. Everyone that has ever known me knew what kind of car I lusted after. I am a true Porsche nut....it does not matter to me what model Porsche you own...you are my brother/sister.

The guy I that I got a ride in his 69 911S, well we still to this day go for runs....he still has the same car plus a 56 Cab. He always knew I would own what I lusted after.

My 911 sleeps in a one car garage under a fitted cover, while my wife and my own daily drivers which are new...sit out side. It may sleep as a garage queen, but when it gets taken out (often), it gets driven the way it should be. I love the smell of the car. It is a true sports car that nothing new I have driven comes even close to. I always run with the radio off and the windows down, and i could care less what others think about me or my car....I love the car for what it is...not for what people think it is.

I could go on and on, but I think you get my point......I am a true Porsche NUT.

Michael

Old 08-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsixnut
My 911 sleeps in a one car garage under a fitted cover, while my wife and my own daily drivers which are new...sit out side. It may sleep as a garage queen, but when it gets taken out (often), it gets driven the way it should be. I love the smell of the car. It is a true sports car that nothing new I have driven comes even close to. I always run with the radio off and the windows down, and i could care less what others think about me or my car....I love the car for what it is...not for what people think it is.

I could go on and on, but I think you get my point......I am a true Porsche NUT.

Michael
I couldnt agree more.

When I was 5yrs old two major things happened that year...figured out what I wanna be when I grew up and fell in love with the 944 and 911's. I knew who made the 911 cause it said it underneath my match box car...but didnt know who made the 944. When I was 19 I bought my 944...spent 5yrs making it a track car to my specs....Turbo brakes, Turbo suspension, turbo body cues, got rid of all the big rubber bumpers. Got to the track twice, Pocono and Lime Rock. Sold the car..and 3yrs later stepped up to a 911 that was already played with but needed some TLC Bad. Thats where Im at today...the 911 sits in the garage as the 06 Audi sits outside, I am in the garage when Im not at work tinkering....with a smile. Im a car guy, big time and love every car that has a rumble to it. This car has decent power, it stops on a dime and turns on a dime. What more could you ask for.....Im a child at heart and always will be. The lines of this car have so much history to it...what I love about it is....classic,European lines and enough muscle to easily dial out the under steer with the fun pedal...

As for the post that intiated this one.....I would remortgage my house for this is my wife allowed it....and sell my SC.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=345162

Last edited by Graufuchs; 08-02-2007 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:35 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

When I was a young, newly-minted Captain in the Air Force, a LC who had been stationed in Germany came back with a 930. That was the hottest car I ever saw and I lusted after that car until I bought my own in 2002. I still think its the hottest, most desirable car ever and I'll put mine up against any new car for performance any day of the week.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about the smell? No car smells like a vintage Porsche...
Old 08-02-2007, 12:01 PM
joey c
Pro

i finished high school in 83..911s,928s were the famous porsches..they sounded different then everything else...i recall going to the porsche dealer when i was 17(1983) and thinking how cool they all were...i never thought i would have one..now i can drive any of them..well for under 40k..and i choose the rawness of the 87..modern enough for me..and the sound is glorious..
Old 08-02-2007, 12:05 PM
jebia
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm one of those ex-997 guys. My '07 997S carrera S was a rocket, but on its 19 wheels, it beat me up every time I drove it (heaven forbid I switched the pasm into sport mode, the motor made sounds that were much less entertaining, it's steering felt numb and the car at least on the street felt twitchy and bloated (I know they contridict each other, but thats the way it felt).

I sold the car and found an '89 carerra. I've had the carerra 3 months, just did my first oil change (a relaxing experience), adjusted the tie rods to straighten out the steering wheel, installed a new driver door stop with the re-inforcement kit, am looking for an AC leak, etc. All items that 15 years ago when I had my '78sc (used as a daily driver) were stessfull repairs, are now strangely relaxing and enjoyable (akin to some sort of relaxing meditation).

Another observation: Strangely enough, most people don't know the difference between the 07 and 89, I actually get more thumbs up on the road with the 89.

The car goes fast enough to make me nausious (sp?) when circuling my local driving course. I now realize, don't need more HP (have been chasing that for the last 15 years). It also handles (in my opinion) in a more direct, more communicated mannaer than my 07.

BTW, I took most of cash difference from selling the '07 997s and buying the '89 carerra and bought a '06 mercedes s500 (first time I have a luxury car), it makes you feel like a king (cushy, quite) and has suprisingly good road manners (good steering wheel feedback and in a turn, it doesn't sway much).

I'm not getting older, I'm getting better (age 47).

Jon
Old 08-02-2007, 01:19 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

When I was young I wanted to be a race car driver -

after my first DE - I wondered why I do this long ago??

Old 08-02-2007, 02:41 PM
RacingBeat
Instructor

hmmm, where to start........

1. lifelong car freak who if $$ was no object would probably have no less than 50 cars of various types/eras.....and i would revere them all.

2. lifelong speed freak who loves going faasssst....and also the skill and precision of performance driving

3. to enjoy something pure, created solely for it's purpose with nothing sacrificed or watered down. a 911 at speed is like imbibing the finest wine, hearing the supple tone of a lovingly handcrafted musical instrument, etc. learning to appreciate it is a most satisfying journey.

but no worries about the head turn factor......honestly i wouldn't care if the thing looked like a dumptruck as long as it felt the same from the driver's seat.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pedro356C
What about the smell? No car smells like a vintage Porsche...
Except a vintage Volkswagen. My wife had a couple old VW's a while ago. When she got her first whiff of the interior of our 1978 911SC, she was taken back in time.

Brett

Quick Reply: Time machine 911