Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 for amateur track fun

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 11:59 PM
doridori
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 911 for amateur track fun

I currently have a 993 C2S and I am thinking to get an older 911 for amateur track use since I don't want to use my 993 for track yet. I am thinking of 964 or earlier generation. I just want to hear any advice from the 911 experts here.

Thanks in advance for any assistant.

Scott
Old 01-26-2007, 12:08 AM
Conekiller
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with an sc or carrera over a 964 if it's just going to be a track car, becuase they have better feel and you get to learn to drive without any electronic aids
Old 01-26-2007, 12:12 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

1. Pick your target. Do you dream of wheel to wheel racing? Time trials? DE's? What is your budget? These questions will help you pick your car and how it is modified. Will it be street legal?

2. Spend time at the track to pick the minds of those driving and/or racing the cars that you are lookin at.

3. Take your time. A rushed decision can cost you big bucks.

4. Strongly consider buying a car that is already modified for the class, series, and events that you want to run.

5. Save some money after the purchase of the car to fix the things that enevitably brake during the first year of ownership.

6. Enjoy the ride.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I would look for a car that is already a track car and has had all the oil cooler updates (in the case of the SC), and all the track updates (removable of A/C, ABS, airbags in the case of the 964).

In any case, any of these cars would be a good choice. I think it comes down to the feel difference of a lighter, less powerful car (SC) versus a heavier, more powerful car (964).
Old 01-27-2007, 01:33 PM
rbuswell
Pro

Default What does the Rennlist faithful think of ...

I'm thinking the same thing for me someday (having a dedicated track car) but going with a 1974 to 1977 with a newer engine like a 3.0 or 3.2. My reasoning is that the 74-77s were cars with problems (e.g mag cases, thermal reactors) so they are less likely to be collectible some day but still are light and good performers. Not to hijack the thread but I was just wondering.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

It is worth noting that an already set up track car will be a lot cheaper than doing a conversion. A good running 911 with a healthy suspension and proper set up is all you really need though.

If you want to find out if this is really for you, and you don't want to risk your car, I have two words.

Skip Barber.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:36 PM
rbuswell
Pro

Default Here's an example of what I mean

I respect the idea of buying a car that has all the performance stuff already but building my own is soooo tempting. Here's an example of what I mean:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1976-...QQcmdZViewItem

The 2.7 mill might even be usable. Let me know what you think. I'm not going to act on this one but it may be a good case study. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Conekiller
Racer

that looks like a good candide but you would still save alot of money buying someone elses prepped car. I know i did
Old 01-29-2007, 07:50 PM
racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by rbuswell
My reasoning is that the 74-77s were cars with problems (e.g mag cases, thermal reactors) so they are less likely to be collectible some day but still are light and good performers. Not to hijack the thread but I was just wondering.
Some might argue BECAUSE of these problems and the likelyhood of the cars being modified over time that a true original car WILL be worth more down the road. Not sure people thought "early "t"s" would be worth much but look at longhood prices in general.. just staggeringly insane!
Old 01-29-2007, 08:50 PM
rbuswell
Pro

Default I agree but ...

Originally Posted by racer
Some might argue BECAUSE of these problems and the likelyhood of the cars being modified over time that a true original car WILL be worth more down the road. Not sure people thought "early "t"s" would be worth much but look at longhood prices in general.. just staggeringly insane!
I think we'll need to handicap the likelihood of any vintage of car becoming a collectible. Either that or we'll all be racing Yugos. The '74-'77 period was a low point for Porsche workmanship and engineering and yet they're still light and strong. The market doesn't seem to be respecting the '74-'77 cars either, at least what I've seen lately. The SC and Carreras had similar production numbers but are a much more desirable car for driving and maintaining, as a stock car anyway. That's why I don't want to thrash my SC and would lean toward racing a '74-'77.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:44 AM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Daniel Dudley
It is worth noting that an already set up track car will be a lot cheaper than doing a conversion. A good running 911 with a healthy suspension and proper set up is all you really need though.

If you want to find out if this is really for you, and you don't want to risk your car, I have two words.

Skip Barber.
Everything Daniel said plus you should consider coming out to a POC (Porsche Owner's Club) event where you can see almost every Porsche model race and have the opportunity to speak to their owners for their perspective.

Building a race/track car is fun and rewarding but requires patience, knowledge, and lots and lots of $$$$$$. If I can do it all over again, I would opt to buy someone else's racer instead of building one myself. Good luck!

Quick Reply: 911 for amateur track fun