Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Car sputters at 1/4 tank, gone after fillup

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts
Default Car sputters at 1/4 tank, gone after fillup

Took the 88 Carrera on my first 700+ mile drive up to northern Michigan from Chicago. After about 100 miles, the car started to sputter like it was being starved for gas. I stopped and filled up to a full tank and the problem went away completely and never returned during the trip.

I'm wondering if it was water in the tank? I'm also wondering if the fuel pickup is at the bottom of the gas tank or if there might be two different pickups (one for the main tank, one for the reserve tank)??

I have been running Shell gas when the car was sputtering, but used BP at the fillups on the road.

Two days before the trip, I changed out the fuel filter and air filter. Car seemed to run fine after the changeout.

If there is water, what is the recommended additive to get the water out?
Old 09-04-2006, 10:43 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

My first thought is that your gas gauge could be off and you really were running out of gas at 1/4 tank indicated. When the car gets down to 1/4 tank again, remove the sender from the top of the tank and use a flashlight (not a lighter/matches ) to look into the bottom of the tank and see how much fuel is left. The difference between 1/4 tank and almost empty should be obvious. If the car is indeed almost empty, then your sender or gauge or the wiring between the to could be the problem. In the factory/Bentley manuals there are charts that show the resistance specs for various fuel levels and procedures for testing the various components.

If you look down in the tank and there is really 1/4 tank left, say full of bad gas and/or water like you suspect, the only solution is to drain the tank completely, which is a messy, potentially dangerous job, but necessary if that really is the problem w/ your car. No additives can remedy this. Good luck.

---

Chris Andropoulos
Schneider Autohaus
Santa Barbara, CA
Old 09-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

At 1/4-tank, I filled up 18 gallons of gas. I believe I have a 22.5 gallon tank (85 liters). Are those leftover 4.5 gallons for the reserve tank, or are they for the main tank? I will do as you say and run the car down to 1/4 tank again - pull of the sender - see how much gas is in there. Any idea if there is only 1 pickup in the tank or 2?
Old 09-05-2006, 12:25 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

I don't think there is a "reserve tank"

did the light come on ? once the light comes on you are pretty well on your rerserve.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:21 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

No, the light did not come on. Actually, I have never run the car below 1/4 tank, so I suspect there may be still some bad gas and/or water in the tank (I only bought it 6 weeks ago, and it wasn't driven over the last 9 months prior). The manual says this : "Fuel tank capacity is 85 litres of which 8 litres is the reserve."
Old 09-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

So, If I filled up and had 4.5 gallons remaining, I actually never hit the reserve tank...
Old 09-05-2006, 07:50 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

You could always liftt he sender out witt the ignition on and see if the light it working. Personally I would just drain it all and start over. I think the pick up is at the bottom so if there was water it would get used up first. Why not just drain ( there is a drain at the bottom of the tank ) and throw on a new filter ?
Old 09-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
You could always liftt he sender out witt the ignition on and see if the light it working. Personally I would just drain it all and start over. I think the pick up is at the bottom so if there was water it would get used up first. Why not just drain ( there is a drain at the bottom of the tank ) and throw on a new filter ?
So, water is heavier than gas? I will pull the sender and check that light. I already changed the filter. I can't drain the gas because my garage is a condo garage and I have no disposal or pan. I might just put some additives in the next fillup, like Techron or cleaner...
Old 09-06-2006, 01:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Water is definitely heavier than gas, that is why you see oily film on top of water or fuel fires burning on top of water. Not sure additives will do it, but it may be owrh a try. Couldn't you get a local service station to do it or a quicky lube place ?
Old 09-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Makes total sense. Then I wonder why the car had problems at 1/4-tank? If the sender is at the bottom, the water should have been first to get sucked up. Oh, well, I guess I should just drain it all like you said and be sure it all comes out...
Old 09-06-2006, 09:24 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Put it this way it is a good first start. Thats what made me think you did not have a water issue..
Old 09-07-2006, 06:04 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Caution: always disconnect the battery before pulling the sender. You could generate sparks and have a fire. I don't trust just unplugging it and delete the main power source.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:57 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Update: I decided to run the tank nearly out of gas. After 1/4-tank, the car ran fine all the way down to the fuel light coming on, which is where I am at now. Again, no issues.

I will just have to chalk this one up to bad gas. It is my understanding that the previous owner never really ran a full tank through and now I have done so (twice). I will, however, stop by AutoZone and pickup some Chevron Techron or some other fuel injector cleaner to ensure my system remains clean.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:55 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Keep in mind if you have bad gass.. don't take passangers ...
Old 09-13-2006, 01:10 AM
rbuswell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had the same problem when ambient temp was warm ...

and I replaced the pump, accumulator and filter. This is a known problem for the '80s cars (usually the pump) although I'm not confident about your newer car being as bad. You didn't say how hot it was out during your trip but I'd guess it was pretty warm. My car now runs much better with more power and a smoother idle. So far no idle or stalling problems since.

Quick Reply: Car sputters at 1/4 tank, gone after fillup