Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Project 74 -- Door stay reinforcement

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 07:28 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts
Default Project 74 -- Door stay reinforcement

Well It couldn't last. I opened the door last week and heard a lound clunk . I new it was coming from the door stay as I heard it the first day I got i and sprayed some lube in there.
So I orders me up a couple of new door stays. Tonight I takes the door apart to fir in my new door stays and you guessed it , the metal inside the door is torn to Rat Sh&t.... uh oh....

So now I need a reinforcement kit. the one in Waynes book shows a one from weltmeister that looks really good. The one on the Pelican site gives no details and does not include the stay, not a big deal as I don't need it Anyone used the one from Pelican ?

Does any one know of any other sources of this kit ?

A pain in the *** as you have to take the whole door apart to get at it and i may as well leave it that way now until I fix it ...

grrr....
Old 06-02-2006, 07:45 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

theiceman

All the Weltmeister stuff is good. You should have no problems.

TonyG
Old 06-02-2006, 08:14 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Tony

Do you know if it is actually the weltmeister kit Pelican sells ?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2006, 01:45 AM
911mac
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've put in two from Pelican, don't remember who makes them but I don't think it's Weltmeister.
They worked fine, you have to take the panel off the door, but don't have to dis-assemble anything else. You may have to straighten out the inner sheet metal a bit. The two pieces in the kit fit on both sides of the inner sheet metal. A fairly easy job.

Good Luck with your repair.

-Mac
Old 06-03-2006, 02:15 AM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iceman, you crack me up. Do you secretly break things at night so you can have fun working your way through Wayne's book?
Old 06-03-2006, 10:11 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

While based on a later 964, you might find this thread useful.

Marc
Old 06-03-2006, 10:29 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Marc

Fantastic thread - thanks, I am prettty well down to the needing the kit part. I can not see how damaged it is and even if it can be saved, I am gonna take a pic with my camera and see if I can see from there. The metal was so busted up I had to do lot of twisting and bending so I could even get the socket on the old bolts for the stay ...
I was considering throwing away the door and getting a new one with no torn metal, but now that I see a repair kit is available , I guess the door gets a "stay"... .. sorry I couldn't resist it .

James I think your right .. something is going on .. I think those elves that fixed the shoes in that childrens story are living in my garage ... I guess they are alter-ego elves as they break things during the night I have to fix..

tonnes of fun though.. although this one hurt a little as my car looks wounded..

off to Pelican I go , never ordered from them so this will be interesting.

I iwll post a pic when I get one.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:05 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

some pics for those who may want to inspect their own .

Last edited by theiceman; 01-09-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Ouch!

Marc
Old 06-03-2006, 03:42 PM
rbuswell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I prefer Weltmeister too

I'm not sure why Pelican does that ... maybe so they can substitute something else if Weltmeister isn't available, but I'd call and ask for Weltmeister. There are several other sources for Weltmeister, if Pelican can't oblige. Performance Parts seems to have a big Weltmeister selection. I've even done a Google search for a brand name and found several vendors that way.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:43 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I have had a real hard time getting this kit , even googling weltmeister didn't reveal it , I iwll keep trying.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Well I ended up just ordering from Pelican , I also ordered the oil temp gage upgrade kit so I can have actual temps displayed on my gage. I iwll update veryone when I get the kits. As a side note I was able to make some small window adjustments so I can get a better seal on my targa roof. Don't know if it will work though . I also did some work to try and make winding up the window easier ( it is really stiff ) didn't have much luck with that as it just jams up due to worn bushings and age. oh well.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:15 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

okay I found my camera but ti was after I fixed everything. oh well

Here is a limited pic.

A couple of comments.

Easy project but patience is needed in taking door apart.

I ordered it from pelican but it was actually from performance products.

You NEED the new style door stays that have the nut welded on them so it can receive the bolt in the kit, if you have the stud style it will not work.

If you order new style door stays even as replacements on a good door GET THE KIT. the new stays are SOOOO stiff i will likely rip a good door to pieces due to the stresses.

I was going to have my old door bracket welded but had some concerns and it turns out I was correct. I was worried about weld build up at the break and getting the metal to re-enforcement to sit flat. The guys confirmed this and said welding it was not a problem but he would never be able to get a grinder in. he suggested I would have a much stronger repair bolting against my flat broken bracket and squeezing it back together , rather than squeezing it on a weld , it would never tighten and reenforce properly.

I was lucky as I caught it in time. But if my door had ripped he said I could have put the bracket on and he could weld from the inside above and below the bracket. But it as you can see I did not need this, it was only the bracket that was broken.

Last edited by theiceman; 01-09-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:28 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Looks good!

Marc
Old 06-16-2006, 10:50 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Thanks Marc , now all I have to do is wear it in a little so I can close the door easier !!

Quick Reply: Project 74 -- Door stay reinforcement