Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Can a base '80 911SC be upgraded?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 12:00 PM
NineEleven
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a base '80 911SC be upgraded?

Hi fellows, I'm new to Porsche. Just bought one recently but it felt weak & slow. I understand that the 911 Turbo uses the same block & a 4 speed gearbox. May I know how can I upgrade this car to suit a modern day-day street driving & occasional track? It has a 993TT metal body conversion, 17" RUF rims, Mille Miglia exhaust mod to twin outlets & 993TT brakes.

I'm thinking of adding & upgrading turbo, CIS/Motec, new headers, clutch kit, suspension, pistons, crankshafts etc. In fact, I'm taking this as a project car & doing a new paint & interior as well. Any thoughts, experiences or links, please recommend. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Noel
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My SC is plenty fast on the track and this is even with Street tires. Track driving is more about the driver than the car, up to a point. I recommend starting with what you have and then going from there once you have 10+ days of track driving under your belt. You will note that my setup is mainly suspension. My engine and tranny are bone stock.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:16 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Probably a 3.6L engine swap would be your best bet....(or just sell it and buy a 993TT)
Old 08-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Drew Theodore
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noel is right, but you do not realize what he says is true until you get the car on the track. I drove a freinds turbo on the track and had one he11 of a time handling the car.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:23 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

nineeleven,

I would guess there may be a little somethng wrong with your recent purchase. Even a stock 180hp 911SC feels fast even though it's not blindingly fast. If that is not the case and you are comparing the SC to a modern day 300hp car, then there are are some thngs you can do much more economically than adding a turbo, which would be a very expensive proposition. The engine is not exactly the same in the SC as in the tubo cars of that era, which were 3.3 litre cars. with many differences. Exhaust and ignition changes are the first place to start. If you really want a lot of extra oomph, a supercharger is not that expensive. My preference is a centrifugal SC for smoothness throughout the powerband, and arguably quicker than a turbo on the same car. Paxton makes one that is very relaible and doesn't require a cooler if you keep the boost reasonable. You will need a complete kit, as there are quite a few fabrications to get everhything in there, but kits are still avaiable. There are internal engine upgrades as well, but you would be getting into serious money, unless you can do your own wrenching.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:45 AM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the body kit how much does this car weight compared to a stock SC? I will bet it is a lot heavier. As to the engine what does a leak down and compresion test tell? Is it a worn out engine or performing as it should? However as a newbie to Porshce and track driving I agree with the others that a stock SC in good shape would be fine even with the heavier body kit to learn to drive at speed. I spent 5 years learning to be smooth and consistent before I put big Hp and torque into my car. Now have a 3.6 but also have the skills to drive the additional power.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:10 PM
ajackson
3rd Gear

I don't think he is asking how to lower his laptimes, but rather just wants more of a thrill on the street when he presses the loud pedal.

Trending Topics

Old 08-08-2005, 04:31 PM
NineEleven
Instructor

Hi again, the trouble is I have only test drove it once & it sat for 2years before that. The gears were terrible to engage quite unlike my other which I thought was bad. The car is with my workshop for a month now. The initial PPI was good with good compression, straight chassis, good synchros etc. I had all fluids flushed & renewed, adjusted the valves, new plugs. All the basics & now waiting for the couplings to install. The rebody was in metal & turbo wide body & runs on 17" RUF speedlines & I think it was 285 for the rears. I'm sure it has gained a lot of weight & I know it's a 25yrs old vintage but I wanted it to be a daily driver & made sure it is reliable & can keep up with traffic or ahead of it when I need to. Next on my list is to upgrade the chain tensioners, turbo tie-rods & headers.

BTW, my other ride is a Ferrari 348TB with 320+hp but it's for weekends only & it's tough to move around city. I don't exactly dash around town or streetrace (live is precious) but more leisurely & I would like to track both over the next few months onwards in Sepang F1 track in KL, Malaysia. Meanwhile, if there's any advance driving school nearby, I'm in. Hope to learn more from you guys.

SMshirk, can you point me to whereabouts on those superchargers? I'd prefer smooth & linear power delivery as opposed to sudden turbo lags.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:34 PM
NineEleven
Instructor

OOps sorry, it should be "Life is precious" it's 3.30am here!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Dr. Dynamics
Pro

NineEleven,

Any pics on the conversion kit??
Old 08-09-2005, 12:33 PM
NineEleven
Instructor

Hi, this is the picture of my 911 with the 993 body. I'm not too sure of the colour if it's Riviera Blue or Maritime Blue. There's some minor rust spots, dents & wrinkles. I might be changing the colour as I'm prepared to do a new interior & treating the rust.
Attached Images   
Old 08-09-2005, 05:40 PM
Dr. Dynamics
Pro

THAT IS ONE HECK OF A CONVERSION! It goes against my principles, but who sells the conversion parts?

ANyways, SC are one of the best trouble free motors around. 1st. Get rid of the CIS and install a custom ECM. An electromotive is a good way to go if you don't want to spend on a MOTEC. That alone should climb a couple of good ponies. Then your free to decide wether N/A or turbocharged. Check out the current Excellence. Take ideas from the yellow 500+ hp.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:28 PM
mamoroso
Racer

Wow looks great...
As said above your best route is an engine swap. Find a 993 3.6 Varioram or TT engine and put it in the back of that beauty. Here in the US a Vram will set you back around $11k. The turbo I'd guess around $25k. It is a pretty straight fwd job....
Old 08-09-2005, 06:43 PM
David R. Schlegel
Intermediate

For what its worth, I'm selling a 99 Corvette hardtop which gets to 60 in about 4.5 sec.s and just bought an 82 SC euro spec. w/178500 miles on it , bone stock (204 hp euro). I was afraid I'd been spoiled by mucho torque & hp, but the funny little German car runs like stink - probably not much more than 5.5 seconds to 60, it feels like. It's been in the shop for 3 weeks for perf. exhaust, clutch, etc., and, for the 6 days I drove it before that, I became so enamored with it that I don't miss the muscle car at all. I've had a Sprite, Healey 100 - 4, 2 M.G.s, twin turbo rx7, etc. - this one's a keeper!!
Old 08-09-2005, 06:48 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I think it looks nice - I like the color.

depends on how deep your pockets are - but if you are set on modding the existing engine - then I would spring for a set of nickies from LNengineering with a custome set of JE pistons. I would go with ARP rod bolts, pauter connecting rods and supertech engine studs. If you go turbo - then contact todd at promotive or http://prototechonline.com/stage1.asp
You can turbo your existing case - just go with some lower CR pistons.

Promotive has different stages of engines - I'd recommend dropping the CIS in favor of tec3 or Motec or similiar. http://www.turboperformance.com/

You can really do anything you want - just need to figure out how deep your pockets are.

Quick Reply: Can a base '80 911SC be upgraded?